Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Please Read

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by mroffshore, Dec 5, 2004.

1. mroffshore

mroffshore New Member

I thought the posts listed were our topic areas of discussion, but now I see how to add a new topic of discussion...I think a lot of people are uncertain how to begin a new topic of discussion that allows you start something of a specific nature...just hit "new topic" and then you can title it and start the discussion...this way people can scroll through the area and read the topics they are interested in.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Glad to see you figured out the software. :) I changed the link from the old Chris-Craft Category. It is working properly now.

By the way... I lived in Elkhart, Indiana in 1974 to 1976. House was out on 19 (or was it 20?) going west to South Bend. You might know the house, it was relatively well known at the time. It was called "Dreams End". It's a long shot, but my step-mom was Jeanne Hartzler. She hailed from Goshen originally... and I think she might still be there. Haven't spoken to her in years. Wonderful lady.

Carl
  3. ss6748

ss6748 New Member

mroffshore

Hello. I saw in your message that you have a 1967 48 Roamer. Is your boat a Riveria? Are you steel or aluminium? I own the last 48-steel hull made by Roamer. My hull number is RAA-48-3007R. My Dad bought our boat new...we took delivery June 12, 1967. She's a part of the family...when we moved, she moved with us.

Looking forward to comparing notes.

Jeff
    ss6748
  4. mroffshore

mroffshore New Member

Jeff,

My 48' is steel...I bought her early this year and have not been on her...she's been in storage since I purchased her...I bought the 36' a month before the 48' and have been restoring her since...didn't want to be working on two boats at the same time...I am considering selling the 48 as I am putting more time into the 36' than I first anticipated.

I have attached an image of her. The previous owner moved to Florida and didn't want to spend the coin to transport so she went up for sale. I wish I had the 48' first and started on it as I most likely would not have bought the 36 then. I have some hull repair to do on the 36 to put her back in top condition, other than that she is coming along nicely.

Attached Files:

5. Capt Keller

Capt Keller New Member

Hi Again

I've sent you a private message, please read, and get back to me as soon as you can

Capt John S. Keller
    Great Lakes Pilot
  6. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Pugh Marine?

Is this at Pugh Marine? I have an office down the river from there. Too funny.
  7. ss6748

ss6748 New Member

Yachtguymke

Even funnier......I used to store my 48' Riveria at Pugh's Peerless Marina when I lived in Chicago. This was outside of the bridge and not far from the Lake. Dick Pugh owned it at the time. He built the Charthouse while we were there. I know he sold the storage facility and bought another facility inside the bridge. I think he has since sold that as well.
  8. Capt Keller

Capt Keller New Member

What type of engines does the 48' have, diesel, or gasoline?

Capt John S. Keller
  9. ss6748

ss6748 New Member

Capt Keller

John, the 48' Riveria's came with both gas & diesel. Gas was the Chris-Craft 427 300. It was the converted Ford Lima block. There were a few that had the 429's and couple with 460 Lincolns. Generally, the 427 was the standard. Diesel was the Detroit 671. When my Dad bought our boat new in 1967, the dealer talked him out of diesel because they were $35-$40K more and gas was 18 cents/gallon. Who knew?

Jeff
    ss6748
  10. ss6748

ss6748 New Member

Rust Prohibitor

Hello all. I saw this product in the January edition of Sea Magazine. This is a westcoast boating magazine. There was a write-up for a new product called Orison Evapo-Rust. The writeup says one gallon can remove rust from up to 300 pounds of steel. The demo picture shows a rusty engine block with one-half having been dipped in the product. It starts at $21 (doesn't specify if that's per gallon.) It's non-toxic. The contact number is (325) 692-1135. Web: www.orisonmarketing.com I have never used this product but have used other types like Ospho on my boat to combat rust. Your thoughts?

Jeff
    ss6748
  11. ss6748

ss6748 New Member

mroffshore

Haven't had a chance to respond earlier. Beautiful 48 you have. Mine is basically the same except the sheer stripe is dark blue and the boot stripe is red. That was the traditional Roamer colors from the factory. I have a Boston Whaler sailing dingy hanging off of davits as well, except the dingy is sitting on the hard as well right now.

Jeff
    ss6748
  12. Capt Keller

Capt Keller New Member

Actually I was more interested in mroffshore's 48' since it is forsale, and my brother and I are looking to buy, but thanks. I've sent him an message, but he isn't responding. Must be the Xmas season.

Capt John S. Keller
  13. mroffshore

mroffshore New Member

Machine has been down

Sorry for the delay guys...my computer was down and I just bought a new one two days ago...just set it up today and got on the site.

My Roamer has 427's. Would be nice if it was aluminum with diesels, but I guess those are hard to come by and pretty expensive.

I'm in no hurry to sell her, but the 36 is just dominating my time and I have a ways to go yet, so it would make more sense to let the 48 go since I haven't moved her yet or torn into her.

I was looking for my survey I had done so I could scan it and put it up as a pdf but I can't find it right now...I am in the process of reorganizing my office, so I am certain I will come across it this weekend.

I haven't advertised her yet...might not, but if it isn't sold to someone by spring, I might move her down here and get ready to get some work done on her...again depending on how far I get on the 36 over the winter.

I wish I had started the 48 first as I think this is the one I would rather own...it is so much larger and more liveable. Very impressive boat. Let me know if any of you know anyone interested in purchasing.