Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

Pirates: Part Two

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by rocdiver, Apr 10, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Hence, the international community take it over and turn it into a reserve.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

This sounds like the .50c Lead Pill to cure all ills to me.
  3. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Apparently not the problem of you getting ripped off, buy in bulk man!
  4. BMS

BMS Senior Member

I say let the shipping companies hire well armed and trained security forces opperate "vessels of opportunity" for pirates in the area, as pirates attack they attack back and pursue the fleeing criminals.
  5. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

You guys are loosing your diplomatic flair.
    I think the only way to deal with Somali Pirates is to finance an invasion by our great new allies the Ethiopians, so they can restore order to this failed state through a friendly democratic government and rescue the loving Somali people from this unfortunate scourge.:cool:
  6. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I think OutMyWindow's Idea is probably the only one offered up that would both fix most of the problems, and not make who ever does it horrible war criminals.

Boy Marine's notion would help too.
  7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

8. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

That is quite a handy margin, thanks for posting it.
  9. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

With well over 100% ROI, it's only a matter of time before the more business-minded pirates offer up an IPO, maybe underwritten by a Wall Street investment bank as an, um, intra-pirate professional courtesy.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It is time to call this "piracy" what it is ... state sponsored terrorism. We invaded Iraq for less legitimate reason than we have seen offshore Somalia recently. We know where their bases are, we know who their "leaders" are and we have the technology to destroy them at sea and ashore. All we seem to lack is the will to flush this toilet once and for all.

We don't need to rebuild the wreckage of their ports or provide an interim government after the smoke clears. They created and support this sewer, let them rot in it until it is safe for honest seafarers to bring them aid.
  11. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I think there is a strong possibility that we will be happier if we avoid this.

Attached Files:

12. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

The "can of worms" analogy rings even brighter once one does a quick google search on the subject.
    It seams that the "Ethiopian" strategy has been already tried with mixed results at best.
    http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17612.htm
    Funny how we only hear the happy stories.

Keeping that in mind, I'm going to swing with the "hawks" on this one and support selective targeting.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I wasn't suggesting we invade Somalia. We have no need to set foot on that septic soil, we have cruise missles and UAVs that can sterilze the ports and eliminate the carriers of this virus. We have the means to locate, track, and destroy the "motherships" and their foetid spawn. We just need the will to do it before we lose an American seaman.

Like I wrote before, we don't need to rebuild, assist, or provide comfort. We only need to eliminate the threat.
  14. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I was thinking more about us here and avoiding an uncomfortable discussion that has nothing to do with yachts and anything to do with Iraq. Sorry I was not more clear.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

MSNBC just announced that there is talk in congress of issuing "Letters of Marque and Reprisal". (Licence or commission formerly granted by a government to a private person to fit out an armed ship or privateer to capture an enemy's ships and merchandise in time of war, or in reprisal for damage done.)
    Letters of marque fell into disuse following the abolition of privateering by the Declaration of Paris in 1856.

I'm sensing entrepreneurial opportunities. :)
  16. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

Xe is going to get the majority of any business I am sure.
  17. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Need a land-based operations partner? :cool:
  18. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I love the idea that those terrorist scum would just sail away and never be seen again. Kinda takes the glamour out of being a "pirate" doesn't it?
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have just heard from someone I know who is involved in close protection for a client of mine that there are a number of ex Special Forces teams running high speed heavily armed boats around the area, they are restricting their services to paying customers and providing protection to convoys moving through the areas.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

'bout time. Maybe they'll be able to make some on the side chasing them down and finishing the job if Letters of Marque and Reprisal takes effect.:D Wonder what the "pirates" would pay to get their boats and crews back?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.