Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko Click for Westport

Pirates: Part Two

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by rocdiver, Apr 10, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That part of the world is very dangerous. This is not surprising. Hate to blame the victim, but what was he thinking. Did he not check the travel alerts?
    "Crime is endemic in Honduras and requires a high degree of caution by U.S. visitors and residents alike. U.S. citizens have been the victims of a wide range of crimes, including murder, kidnapping, rape, assault, and property crimes. Eighty-five U.S. citizens have been reported murdered in Honduras since 1995; only twenty-four cases have been resolved. Sixteen U.S. citizens were reported murdered in Honduras in 2009, nine in 2008, four in 2007 six in 2006, and ten in 2005. Kidnappings of U.S. citizens have also occurred in Honduras. Five U.S. citizens were reported kidnapped in 2009, four in 2008, and two in 2007. Poverty, gangs, and low apprehension and conviction rates of criminals contribute to a critical crime rate, including acts of mass murder. The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) reported 4,473 murders in Honduras in 2008 giving Honduras, with a population of approximately 7.3 million people, one of the world’s highest per capita murder rates."
  2. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

Went to high school in Ecuador back in the early 70's, just at the time when the sentiment towards Americans was beginning to change, from one of awe (likely due to how we are represented in our own movies) to resentment and blame for their economic woes.

Some friends of mine went back there 5 or so years ago to hook up with resident friends and to fish. They found their friends packing AK-47's in their cars and had to hire 4 armed guards to protect them while they fished the jungle rivers. A close friend of mine, who is even a native, living and working there, employs 12 full time security people, where his family is never beyond the protection of an arsenal to be envied.

Sad, the way the world turns. Feel free to put this back on topic.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is the latest thing off the wires re a ship that has been taken by pirates.

http://www.heavyliftpfi.com/content/NewsItem.aspx?id=2459

Interesting to read locally that they crew had got themselves secured in their strong room and held out for two days while waiting for some assistance but none came.

How come the most powerful and technically sophisticated nations on earth can't come up with an effective way to stop this primitive but seemingly effective behaviour from continuing?
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That was a rhetorical question, right?

It might be because nobody else has the balls to do this:

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/06/russians-storm-hijacked-ship-free-crew-from-pirates/

National Defense and Technology Magazine NDIA published an interesting article in March 2009 that includes this comment:

"Further complicating things, the Russian navy is eager to rush to the rescue. Moscow claimed that the nominal Somali national government invited it to enter its territorial waters and recover the Soviet era tank-carrying MV Faina. Even if true, why would Russia be allowed to recover a Ukrainian ship when no proof existed that Kiev had ever asked Moscow for help? More likely, the Russian navy was looking for a pretext to pose as the rescuer of choice, as well as gain leverage over Ukraine. The Russian navy and foreign office even threatened to go back to the old British Royal navy tactic of “cutting out” pirate bases and laying waste to Somali coastal towns."

It worked for the young and not-yet-pc United States in 1805. The cure worked for nearly 200 years but the West's misplaced sense of policitcal correctness has undone that in less than 20.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"He'll have 3 hots and a cot ..."

More than you can say for this crewman.

http://www.handyshippingguide.com/shipping-news/murder-on-the-high-seas-heavy-lift-freight-ship-crewman-murdered-by-pirates_2445

Please read the full article.

"SOMALIA – GERMANY – Before our weekly overview of pirate activity comes the full story of an innocent crewman murdered whilst trying to escape his hijacked vessel. The tragedy has been unfolding since the capture of the MV Beluga Nomination, a heavy lift project carrier, on the 22nd January and has elicited the harshest criticism of the naval authorities patrolling the area from the vessels owners."
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I suspect he would find a quick or even slow death preferable to what he'll enjoy for the next 33 years (if he makes it that long). Hopefully he gets to write home.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've loaded yachts on the Beluga Nomination before.......I believe.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Pirates seized the boat on 24 February and were said to be heading to Somalia."

Wouldn't it be lovely if when they got there, the port no longer existed?
  11. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Pirate News

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/07/commandos-free-ship-crew-pirates/#ixzz1FwJlVYQE
  12. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Yah know, I think there's a business opportunity here. Put a couple of small freighters in international waters at the north and southeast ends of the pirates AOE with .50 caliber machine guns, tripods, and ammo. Yachts and small commercial vessels passing through the area could stop and buy the weapons before entering pirate waters. On the other side they could either turn the weapons back in, buyback with a rental fee removed, or proceed with the guns, keeping them until entry in a port forced disposal of them overboard. Granted there are some sticky details to work out but I think there's a market.
  13. 84far

84far Senior Member

I got an email (funny as!) the other day with a new cruise... looks like a lot of fun for the whole family :D

Far

Attached Files:

14. FutureYachter

FutureYachter Member

15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"Indian Navy Captures 61 Pirates In Arabian Sea"

Why?
  16. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

17. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Violent Somali piracy at an all-time high

Worldwide in the first quarter of 2011, 18 vessels were hijacked, 344 crew members were taken hostage, and six were kidnapped, IMB reported. A further 45 vessels were boarded, and 45 more reported being fired upon.

'Figures for piracy and armed robbery at sea in the past three months are higher than we’ve ever recorded in the first quarter of any past year,' said Pottengal Mukundan, Director of IMB, whose Piracy Reporting Centre has monitored piracy worldwide since 1991.

...more here....and map
    http://www.sail-world.com/cruising/index.cfm?nid=82577&rid=11
  18. David.L

David.L Guest

Is it illegal for the Yacht owners to fire on the pirates?
    I would think if you own the Yacht and have a gun you can use it in self defence.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Not if you are in international waters and you kill them all.

One of the big problems of travelling with yachts is the illegality of travelling with arms onboard, it being illegal in many places to carry, posses or import firearms.

There has been some vibrant discussions on here about this previously.
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.