Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

Pirates and other high seas encounters

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ladies choice, Sep 19, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Spicoli

Spicoli New Member

Whuuuut?

I can't believe that there's not someone out there making a buck or two on this problem (besides the pirates, of course). From the crazy amount of knowledge I've read on this forum, I feel confident that if there were a globally acceptable solution out there, it would've been the 1st reply to the thread. The money is out there, and folks are willing to pay for the opportunity to protect their investment/lives.
    Some of you fellas need to get together and help save the lives of folks like Mr. Peter Blake. I’d attempt it myself, if it weren’t for an insurmountable resource deficiency (read “dumb and broke”).

There's a solution to every problem, but death (ESPECIALLY if you have the $$$).
    There has to be a non-lethal way to go about this, a way to disable their vessel, if not permanently, long enough for the authorities you called to come find them where you said they were.
    I don't know much about the inter-workings of boats so this was a real short process for me :rolleyes: . Is there any type of electrical solution you could use to fry the ignition of the impending goons? If so, would you be able to fire this solution from one of your retrofitted water cannons :p ?
    One of the things I DO know about boats is, that if the props don’t turn, you don’t go. So,........ if you were to be approached, then put yourself underway to create a chase type situation; have a device that can be released (I'm seeing a buoyant, industrial size, Spiderwire net) into the water to try and wrap up their prop/s. Of course that’s heavily dependant on, if directly behind you is where they wanna be while in pursuit.
    Something else I don’t know is the inspection process used when inquisitive authorities board you. Though I’m sure it’s not a standard process across the globe, how many use divers to check the underside (if the answer to this is anything but “no one”, or you have an enduring sense of right and wrong or self preservation, please disregard the following idea)? Have dry-boxes that can be loaded with your “protection” then secured to the hull by divers before entering protected waters. You may be able to reduce any raised eyebrow questions by having replacement telescopes that easily mount where your 50. cals went. There’s also some crazy/incomplete thought about anchoring those boxes off shore/under water, but I don’t know enough about this subject to even give myself the illusion it sound intelligible.
    Past that, all I see is Three Stooges/Police Academy slapstick stuff were you drop you anchor through their deck, or have a large harpoon gun to shoot through their hull, then take off.
    Please keep in mind; my only knowledge of pirates is from Life Aquatic, and this website.
  2. andymullen

andymullen New Member

No answer...

As far as I understand the situation with Peter Blake. He was asleep below & at anchor with half a dozen crew on deck, relaxing, drinking, talking & listening to music. He heard a rumpus on deck & went to get the shotgun. He fired as the theives came into the saloon, but the gun didn't go off. They fired next.
    The thing is, it's not about cameras & water canons or nets to throw over the stern. These people can paddle out to you on a surfboard, when you least expect it.
  3. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Hmmmmm,

This sounds like a possible issue of not taking care of your weapons. As a pre-teen and teenager I went hunting and shooting (skeet, trap, etc) throughout the year. As a much older person, I no longer hunt, though my dad and I thoroughly enjoy shooting trap, skeet and sporting clays.

I was taught at a very young age to always take great care of you guns for two reasons: SAFETY first, and accuracy second.

I know that the marine environment is most harsh on any metal items (what the European car makers have to do to the cars that are being shipped to the US on the Ro Ro boats is incredible). I wonder if the failure of that owner's gun was a result of less than careful care and maintenance??? Not to belittle a tragedy, but if I were to plan on keeping guns on board as a deterrent and for protection, then I would always be sure that they were 100% operational 100% of time!!!

Regarding thieves approaching on surfboards, would not good lighting and watch skills help deter that???

My $.02!!!

Cheers,

Mark
  4. andymullen

andymullen New Member

That's Life. (Or Death)

Hi Mark.
    You're not a yachtie are you? :) When you're at anchor miles away from civilsation, you don't put on big lights. Firstly, it drains the batteries. Secondly, what is the point of anchoring in a beautiful place like the mouth of the amazon with bright lights around you?
    The yacht had traveled a long way to get there & the crew were relaxing. It was totally unexpected. You can't spend your life on watch.
    You could be an Electrician traveling on the tube in London. Who knows what will happen tomorrow?
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

This topic does cause one's mind to wander. In the Peter Blake example maybe having a dog kennel on board would have helped? (Hey, I did say "wander" :eek: )

Kelly
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

7. andymullen

andymullen New Member

Security

Or you could build a larger hull & put your yacht inside it. Then fill it with fresh water. A kind of moat. Then put Piranha in there! :D
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  8. andymullen

andymullen New Member

9. Spicoli

Spicoli New Member

See that's an extremely unfortunate situation... He had exactly what he needed to handle that situation, but it fail to function it it's time of need. Aside from all that comic book stuff I was talking about, Mr Blake thought he had the situation handled, only to be let down at the worst time by faulty equipment.
    If anyone one is interested, Mossberg makes an SS Mariner model. It's a shorty, with pistol grips, so you may wanna get an additional shoulder stock. I would suggest mounting a skeet thrower to the boat. This will keep you skills up to par, and your shotgun in a known condition. It will also keep your ammunition fresh.
    A faulty weapon, or faulty ammunition primer could’ve caused Mr. Blake’s situation. I don't know what the life span of ammunition is on a sea faring vessel, but I can grantee you it's a small fraction of what it is in my closet here at the house.
  10. yachtbroker007

yachtbroker007 New Member

rgr thtt

i agree with yacht forums
    mega yachts whould be able to defeat small armies :) gun control = gay
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

... he says in a thread started by a lesbian asking how she can better arm herself and her security detail with large caliber weapons.
  12. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

I guess i am the one missing the correlation here on gun control=gay too?

What does being gay have to do to protecting myself and a yacht anyways?

After seeing this week what went on with the cruise ship attack off of Africa, obviously this is a issue in areas. One that I won't be taking a chance with.

100 miles offshore **** right I will blow them out of the water any way, shape or form if we are under attack and in international waters.

Granted I would not invite trouble by going to known places of danger, but in a crossing of oceans passing 100 miles offshore might be inevitable to certain dangerous areas.

I doubt many on this board would give up and not fight back with whatever means they had available to them.

I am used to security for my partner, not so much for me as I didn't grow up with that life need as she did, perhaps we see the world very differently. We have found that this world isn't so kind towards women, gay or straight.

Something most cannot understand or relate too I suppose.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

We have a misunderstanding here...

1. Kevin was only noting the irony in YachtBroker007's statement. Nothing more.

2. The statement made by YachtBroker007 was indicative of his age and not directed toward anyone.

Let's move on. :)
  14. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

LRAD

American Technology Corp.'s LRAD (Long Range Accoustic Device), which was used by Seabourne Spirit against pirates on the Somalian Coast, seems to be a good alternative to having guns onboard; having firearms onboard might get you into trouble with the Customs Officers of some countries. The LRAD is non-lethal, portable and doesn't require too much power to use, although I understand that proper training is required to effectively use the equipment. There's some info in ATC's website:

http://www.atcsd.com/gov_products.html

Thanks to Kevin for posting initial info on LRAD in following thread:

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/3906-cruise-ship-repels-pirates.html
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  15. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

16. MacMcL

MacMcL Senior Member

There are some very interesting high decibel sound deterant systems now on the market, that can be easily incorporated into any new build, or even retrofitted without too much expense. Sometimes high output strobe lights can provide a momentary advantage. Also consider several strategically placed high pressume water hose outlets. Think about your vessel's blind spot, (all boats have one) and do what you can to reduce its weakness and enforce the security.

In my opinion there is nothing more dangerous than a pseudo-gun or an empty gun. If you opt to go that route, go all the way.
  17. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Very interesting website ... THANKS!
    :)
  18. daiwa

daiwa New Member

"My question is this, Where in the world am I most likely to encounter pirates and other encounters with bad intentions of harm or theft?"

I´ll give you this one as many other´s very likely going to respond your more actual weapon questions. The ranklist could be looks like this one, but do you ever even cruise those places one have to ask. As reported incidents numbers 1 and 2 are leading, but it´s more related to CargoShips than against of Turists or Cruisers. Either I never heard anyone seriously cruising harbour of Columbia instead of passing it.

Let me put this way, more lower the local GDP is - more likely you are flashing yourself with your boat / yacht / ship. Higher GDP is - more likely you are not flashing much yourself with your boat / yacht / ship. SeaRoads between Indonesia and Singabore used to be most pirates location in the world, but I am not sure is it still an issue, haven´t give a better look to Far-East recently much.

1) Somalia
    2) Indonesia
    3) Africa
    4) Haiti
    5) Brazil

The latests news as you might be aware allready U.S has decided to help Somalia as situation came too hot topic after recent incidents. However, this is also statistical and academical question, imagine how many ships sails from and to Singabore harbour perhaps crossing on the way danger waters and only very few of them actually has been face any pirates. Then, if group of yachts would go to cruise to Nigeria - let´s assume hunderd boats on the year period and 10 of them would face pirates, then the statistic would immediately report it as most danger waters in the world.
  19. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

What's the possibility of mounting a 5inch main gun in a turret?

My cousin owns a gun company (Barrett firearms) so if anyone want's a 50. I'll hook you up no problem.
  20. V65

V65 Senior Member

I own two Barrett 50 cals, great shooters, but prefer custom built 50's for benchrest comps...;)