Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

Pilothouse Design For Vintage 1960 FEADSHIP

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by david_japp, Apr 11, 2010.

?

which PH design do you prefer for my 1960 Feadship

1. image 2 - with pronounced knuckle at aft edge of PH side

26.7%
  2. image 2c - with less pronounced knuckle at aft edge of PH side

53.3%
  3. image 2d - with no knuckle at aft edge of PH side

20.0%
  4. any other suggestions?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alternative B is the best imo, but still requires an adjustment in the rear curve of PH. If you like that, then do like that. If you choose B, I probably would change the profile of rear lower side window to have a faster impression like the upper rear one, because the upper rear one has a parallel curve like the deck step in middle front is. All 4 curves imo must have same parallel profile for harmony. Some radius must be changed then, maybe, bringing curves up or translation/bit movement. But for that C seems the start point to work with. It requires only the PH rear curve to be adjusted then.
  2. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I cant adjust the lower window shape - doing so would mean rebuliding the entire superstructure ....the original open-helm window was a much more swept/faster shape (see earlier posts) so I tried to emulate it but round-off the aft corner to better match the afr corner of the lower window
  3. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

here is Alto as launched

Attached Files:

4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

My preference is for option A, but again - the radius of the pilothouse's sweep should match the radius of the pilothouse window's sweep. I'd bring that radius up higher and try for a smaller radius in the return, to end up with a slightly longer flying roof, and a more delicate (modern) look.
  5. 84far

84far Senior Member

David,

Ill have a little go if you want, post #17 - drawing number 2, with the longer cabin was what I was thinking (3 and 4 look good as well though), but I do have a little idea that can still use the original P/H window. Cheers

James Bond = sleek and sexy, but that involves modern and cold styles from its era. So your looking for DB4/5 look... not DB7/9 ;)

Far
  6. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

62ft 1961 VINTAGE FEADSHIP - NEW PILOTHOUSE DESIGN

here is another, further developed render of how we envisage Alto's new Pilot House. The last 2 images show the aft view with a partition windows that will rise up on gas struts from within the lockers, when the weather is inclement. The doors are removable.

Attached Files:

7. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Vintage Feadship - New Pilot House

So, I think were almost there with the designs of the PH - here is what I have in mind. Incidentally, the PH's aft screen is on gas struts and can lower into the island lockers, and the PH doors are removable so that when conditions permit , the PH is open to the aft deck but in inclement weather, or when the boat is left, we can close up the PH

Attached Files:

8. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

here is the PH with the aft screen lowered into the lockers and the doors removed

Attached Files:

9. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

I know maintenance is an issue, but the stark white of the top looks to me like an enclosed flybridge on a contemporary sportfish. Could you add some woodwork to classify her? Just a humble opinion of a wood lover.
  10. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Hi
    I've tried all different shapes styles and designs ... in wood, in white...and in combination ...an all-wood PH looks 1950s and a bit "fusty" wheras she is a 1960's flashy sexy "dolce vita" / James Bond type boat and I think the current PH suits her very well... a bit like a big ChrisCraft Constellation (which, incidentally, is what her original designers modeled her superstructure on in order beat the American competition ).. We will however be adding some wood accents and that will soften her "stark" white look
    Best
    David
  11. i think it is ok as it is. You could put some wood rails racks at side of those white roofs for detailing in wood calling the rest, or a wood mast flag ontop with the electronic devices, which seems to lack. I would also do those 'removable wood-glass doors' to be sliding to side ones imo. Then you have open-closed options without removing.
  12. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

The doors to the PH open up against the side of the lockers (which are the same depth as the doors) . They can also be entirely removed and stowed in within the banquette seats on the aft deck. The mechanism that holds and secures the doors in place at their top and bottom is a remarkable little 2 part locking device that has a quick release function, so shipping and unshipping the doors will be a matter of minutes for one man to accomplish
  13. ok, but having always this tasks/work to shipping or unshipping them, you will see with time that you would become tired of doing and will remain there for longer time. Then why not just still having a system to open up against the side of the lockers in 'same depth' and then sliding to the sides equally, i mean like the diagram below. Then you don't need those removing/stowing efforts. It is how i would do. :)

Attached Files:

14. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

that's very complicated to build and wont look great or be nearly as effective as the system we've designed ...the windows slide up & down on gas struts, so its no problem to raise/lower them as often as we want. The doors fold back against the locker ends and can be left there, out of the way, ready to close again as/when needed . However, when used in the Med during summer months, when we know we won't want to close the doors for days, if not weeks , on end, it takes less that one minute to remove and stow each door, and the same again to refit. However , with them in place, they will be as as solid and weathertight as on any other permanently fitted PH doors
  15. atomare

atomare New Member

a little twist

Hi David, first of all my biggest compliments on your courage to restore this little beauty to her former glory ;) .... I was looking at your pilot house proposals and I think you got a little bit stuck on the "white backpack" design... This one is to inspire you a little bit more. The proposal uses similar lines as your PH, but by introducing a two tone / two material theme like on the saloon windows below creates a visual push to the back, which imo brings it closer to the original open design of the PH.

Not visible in the profile, but I could imagine to repeat something like the canoe shaped stern in the roof, to make her more distinct and a truly unique little lady :D

Attached Files:

16. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

that's very interesting, if a bit too radical for my taste - in fact at one time I considered having a "two-tone" car-type sedan top... much like the cars of the period
  17. atomare

atomare New Member

Because it´s fun, here is a less extreme version of the PH, with a shorter roof to the back. The two pillars extend into two "fins" raking towards the stern. Here the sunshade can be attached. I think it integrates quite well into the profile and gives her this typical 60s look. I`m not sure yet about the 3d shape of the fins though.

One other thing I was wondering about in your PH design, ... since your wheel is in the center of the ship, wouldn´t it be better to also put a center window into the structure? ... I think you could combine the two middle windows into a big one without loosing the visual connection to the ones of the saloon.

Attached Files:

18. Ward

Ward Senior Member

atomare: I love your two-tone development, especially the first one. The "horizontal fins" look great to me!
  19. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Your latest designs is certainly very interesting and great fun but is still is too radical for her vintage hull lines and in any event, with all those compound curves, would be very expensive to build in wood. The other problem is that she'll be used in the med and the PH roof really has to be white rather than bright finished as otherwise it wont last 5 minutes. The saloon roof is in fact clad in teak decking so as to reduce glare and has been left to go gray so as the match the deck (people naturally gravitate there to sunbathe) . The pilot house that we removed (an ugly boxy 1980's addition) had a single central window and it looked very odd. The side windows of the PH really need to at least echo the curve of the saloon windows,
  20. 84far

84far Senior Member

atomare, I also like your thoughts/designs. It brings the curves from the lower deck windows up and into the P/H, but with the modern twist. The timber gives it a classic/stylish/modern/sexy look, also helped by the tint in the windows. As for the roof line that cuts back in, I would just keep going straight arcoss, with a curve that points towards the stern (imo). Cheers

David, you might have a winner there. :D

Far