Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

PILOT HOUSE DESIGN FOR VINTAGE 62ft FEADSHIP

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by david_japp, Mar 6, 2010.

?

which Pilot House desihn suits Alto best

Poll closed Mar 16, 2010.
  1. traditional design with 2 side windows and eyebrow that match the saloon windows

34.4%
  2. more glamourous 1960's style design with a single large side window that emulates the original open

65.6%
  1. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

We are totally rebuilding our 62 ft 1960 Van Lent feadship "Alto Volante" (pka Tiky). She's a displacement yacht that marries a traditional round bilge hull and canoe stern with a touch of "christ-craft glamour" in her cabin coamings and "swept" look.

We've stripped out the interior and are fitting a new light-oak interior that is "neutral" in terms of specific period - ie a modern look and feel that is sympathetic to, and blends seamlessly with, her 1960s origins.

She originally had an open helm but we want to fit a pilot house for protection from the Mediterranean the sun and rain.

I've drawn up 2 alternative PH designs -

the first design reproduces the design of the saloon windows with an eyebrow . It is more traditional and perhaps more "ship-like".

The second design has a single side window that emulates the original open-helm windscreen and the sweep of the side coamings. It is possibly a bit more sleek and sexy but still right for a "sixties" boat.

In either case, the back of the PH would be open, but have a canvass screen to close it off the elements.

I want her to be as drop-dead gorgeous as she was when launched but I'm torn between the two looks and would appreciate your thoughts

NB the digital renderings aren't 100% consistent with the drawings but give an approximate idea of what the alternative designs would look like

I'd really appreciate your thoughts as to which PH to go for

best
    David

Attached Files:

2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I like the single side window, but would keep the brow forward of the double, possibly even extending it just slightly maybe with a forward slat.
  3. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I agree with Henning, but would make the frame bright leaving the roof painted white or beige. Alternately, I might consider a mast aft of the steering station and run canvas fore and aft, like on the commuter CIGARETTE.
    Best,
    Maldwin
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  4. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Beautiful project.
    I've gone with the single side window option. I agree that a peak / eyebrow to compliment the lower one would look good....it certainly does on the twin window design. I'd personally curve the aft edge profile a little more to closer match the aft edge of the side window, and again, closer match the lower superstructure profile....bringing the aft end aft a bit more and cutting it in further forward a tad before it comes back to form the overhang.
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I prefer the first choice, which emulates the profile of the forward cabin. With either window choice, the forward "brow" is the key to maintaining her lines.

Beautiful yacht. I can't wait to see photos of the finished project.
  6. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Whatever window choice, I think it is important they be bright rather than painted.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  7. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I agree with this.

The sweep of the single window emulates the sweep of the painted part of the superstructure directly beneath it - it compliments and complements where the dual window looks a bit fusty and stodgy to my eye.
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Even engineers know there is a difference between an eyebrow and a brow.
  9. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:) I thought it was an Americanism....like hood / bonnet, trunk / boot.
    Edit...which makes no sense if the OP's English :D
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

We probably stole the term from the Limeys. :)

It is in the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship and was used in the early 1800s (HMS Unicorn) to describe the item used to provide a walkway between two ships.

The OP correctly used eyebrow to describe the overhang above the wheelhouse windows.
  11. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

I actually think the two window version looks more appropriate with the rest of the boat. Either way she's a beautiful yacht and I hope you show us the restoration process and after photos.
  12. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Hi
    so are you suggesting I stick with the single window but add the eyebrow? if so, what do you mean when you say " but (you) would keep the brow forward of the double, possibly even extending it just slightly maybe with a forward slat"? Please elaborate
  13. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Seems quite a few people agree with you and suggest a single window would look best. However, when you say " I'd personally curve the aft edge profile a little more to closer match the aft edge of the side window, and again, closer match the lower superstructure profile.." I cant figure out if that is meant to relate to the single or double..

Also, what do you mean when you say "bringing the aft end aft a bit more and cutting it in further forward a tad before it comes back to form the overhang"? please elaborate..
  14. wildkactus

wildkactus New Member

the single window with the eyebrow would be my choice,
    anyway good luck with this great project.
  15. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I have received a variety of suggestions about which PH suits Alto better - some go for 2 windows, and some suggest I should have the PH side panels bright (varnished wood). However most seem to prefer the single window and whether they prefer single or double windows, everyone seems to prefer keeping the "eyebrow". I agree , as it make the boat more "purposeful" and ship-like!

So here are the drawings and renders with the alternatives amended as per the suggestions...any further thoughts?

In any event thanks to everyone for the suggestions...but Im still not sure!

Attached Files:

16. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Exactly what I mean, use the eyebrow and by "slat" I mean making it foil shaped with the training edge overlapping the house as a pressure vent.
  17. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

I voted for the single side window. The lines are very similar to the Finnclipper 35 Motor Sailors :)
  18. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

SO...you mean single window with eyebrow, but I still dont follow what you mean about the "training/trailing?" edge ...do you meaning leading edge?
  19. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I agree about the two window design looking a bit "fusty" (great word - says a lot) . Having now applied the eyebrow to the render - and, incidentally, at least on this side of the pond, it it is an "eyebrow" not a "BROW" - and taken the sweep of the aft edge of the PH a bit further aft to give it a bit more visual (and constructional) substance, I think there is an element of of "purposefulness" that was perhaps missing from the single window design

so, I'm now leaning towards to the single window, with eyebrow in white and the sweep enlarged and ......a touch of 1960's glamour...james Bond/ French Riviera /"Dolce Vita" and all that

Attached Files:

20. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:) Hi David, its difficult for us to follow your questions if you don't quote each of us useing the "quote" button in our posts (if you follow me) when posting.
    Anyhoo, your second pair of new pictures in post No.15 pretty much does what I was suggesting.