Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport

Pictures of Yacht Building Process

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JonS, Jul 10, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. lagoonroyal

lagoonroyal Guest

Attached Files:

• 05.jpg
      05.jpg
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
    • 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Chantel

Chantel New Member

I stumbled accross quite a few construction pictures on the Bruce Roberts website, basically looks like photos some of his customers have sent in detailing their construction of the hull.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

CNC-cutting...

As I said, here is a teaser. This week we started to cut out the basic hull shape from foam with the help of this robot. It took just three days. Next week will be fine cutting of the filler we are now applying over the foam.

And after that the deck will go through the same process before getting the finishing coat that we will make the mold on.

The boat is a 40-foot, 40 knot commuter.

Attached Files:

4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

That is a lot of foam! :D
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

At least they know it'll float.
  6. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

MAN, i'd love to do work like that! :)

How is this machine steered? Must be quite a lot of data considering the 3d shape, all the sprayribs etc.
  7. orion

orion Senior Member

3D Milling

The worlds first 9 axes robotic system for yacht production: :cool:
    more info: www.fagerdalathiger.com
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think they are not yet up and running really? Anyway, we are going with the most experienced company in this field; http://www.macromould.se/fras_index.htm

They have 5-axis robots and are building boat plugs for several scandinavian brands.

There is a dedicated program running the machine and we are producing the surfaces in a program called Rhino. The cellfoam (40 kg/m3) is glued to a plywood frame and is then cutted down to 8 mm below the final surface. The filler is then applied about 12 thick on top of that and is then cutted down to a surface within 0,1 mm limits.

I´ll post all of it in a separate thread later on for those interested to follow this.

Attached Files:

9. orion

orion Senior Member

Most of the largest manufacturers in the states have used this CNC technic for many years, not only for moulds also for wood joinery and lamination.
    This is the only way for fast developments of new models but also to keep production cost down.
    The 9 axis system at Fagerdala is fantastic and the most advanced 3D mill in the world, machine goes also inside object , example on advanced shaped transomes with steps ao. Shapes that normaly takes many weeks to complete now takes only some hours! :cool:

www.ibinews.com/ibinews/ebb/tech_fager.html
    www.stingrayboats.com/technology/boat_building.html
    www.janicki.com
  10. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Very interesting boat you are making there Lars.
    Can you share any more info on it?
    Propolsion, layout, etc?
  11. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

Looking forward:)

How are your drawings translated into rhino?
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is the boat we are now producing molds for; http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6024&postcount=53

In addition to these renderings I have drawn a number of frames (picture) and detail drawings in 1/1 which are used to make the Rhino surfaces. They are manually transfered, but still within a mm accuracy in most places.

Attached Files:

13. brunick

brunick Senior Member

wow

hi,
    and you're just drawing it in a vector programm?

are you draw every line by hand or do you use coordinates?

i tried al lot of times to draw without coordinates, but it just didn't work...

mfg Jannick Bruhns
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, it is Freehand, a postscript vector program.

After the profile is made, I do some vertical helplines to be able to make the overhead drawing as I did on Bling a couple of days ago; http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11258&postcount=7

When I have this, I do the same by turning the deck plan 90 degrees and let helplines cross over helplines from the sideview where I can fill in the frames.

This way I make coordinates which is easy to put together by hand and adjust curves so they look good. I only have to do half the frame which I mirror, just as I do half the deck lines which are mirrored. Off course I can magnify almost unlimited on the screen to see if it looks good and fit to the coordinates.

I also do all the frames on top of each other to be able to see the flow of curves.

Pretty simple actually, but unfortunately I have not saved any drawing half finished to show you. I always remove the helplines as soon as I have used them, to clear the view...

Here is a drawing with guidelines put in. You have to make frames corresponding to the different positions along the yacht.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  15. brunick

brunick Senior Member

do you also made the first side view with coordinates or how do you make theese?

i am trying at the moment to make a hull with "FreeShip", because i just can't draw on a pc without a drawing tablet... :D

well but i'm trying to draw some little yachts, about 15m, but i'm dreaming of a yacht about to 250m+, a catamaran or trimaran...
    with some helidecks, an indoor yachtport an some little other things... :D :D

would be nice but about some millions...

mfg Jannick Bruhns

Edit:
    wow, nice drawing lines :)
    how are you calculating the length of your boats???
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  16. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Vector drawing programs DO have coordinates. Or "rulers", both vertical and horizontal. So anything drawn can be to a measurement. Though you may need to scale this, rather than use the raw figure. No different than making a drawing for a model airplane.

Kelly
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

This is the most easy part since the passengers are always about the same height. Floor to ceiling is maybe 190 cm on a small boat and up to 240 cm on a 50 meter yacht. Sometimes a certain deck is made higher on larger yachts.

Anyway, together with the deck itself you can say that 250 cm is enough on normal yachts, so I make a grid of lines, let´s say 2.5 cm above each other. Then a 50 m yacht is 50 cm long, a 30 m is 30 cm. With a calculator you can enter any multiple to make the drawing fit in if you like to work on a A4 format on the screen.

For concepts A4 is OK, for construction you better make it larger, but it is easy to enlarge it later and then apply a thinner stroke width.