Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Pictures of Yacht Building Process

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JonS, Jul 10, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

The shed you see here is one of two, side by side.
    Through the door at the back you see another shed thats behind both of the forementioned sheds.
    This bowlike form seems to be hanging in a crane but the fact that that it seems to be painted is a bit strange.

I think the hall at the back is where parts are build and because the shed is at a 90 degrees angle behind the two other sheds it can supply both.
    The parts are then assembled and finished in both of the two sheds in front.

This is my guess though but maybe someone has been in there?
  2. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Yacht building

Here we are:
    I ahve some pictures of a building process.
    The Yacht is 26m and called True Austrian. Enjoy it.

Attached Files:

3. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

No 2

The next one

Attached Files:

4. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

No 3

and the next

Attached Files:

5. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

and the next

and the next

Attached Files:

6. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

and the last

sorry the last ones

Attached Files:

7. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

And the last one

I visited this Yacht on the last Monaco Yacht Show and it is a wonderfull cruiser.

Attached Files:

8. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Brilliant! From start to finish! Thanks for these Crewagency! :D

This is what we want to see! :cool:
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Ditto on this! Thanks Alex! :)
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

11. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

2 Van Lent build's

Hi, today i went to kaageiland again and kinda scraped at van Lent's yard doors..
    Those doors have windows in em and i've seen two yachts in the build.
    One of these you see on top of the previous page but the other is "pictureless"; im familiar with the amazing sprinting qualities of these people and i don't want to leave kaageiland with a camera that has to be surgically removed...

Now one of these two would be the first of the F45 Vantage semi-production yachts.
    Anyone familiar with the second one?
  12. gomaarten

gomaarten Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2005
  13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Lioness

gomaarten Thanks.
    The full resolution photo shows some of the actual structural pieces.
  14. YachtForums

15. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

They may not be pretty, but like a woman it's nice to know what's under the makeup. :)

The raw hull quality and construction process interests me. The quality and precision of the basic assembly says much about the builder. Not to flog it too much, many a sin can be covered by paint. :D
    I saw the aftermath of one mild impact on a rather high profile vessel. The "makeup" pasted over the steel was easily 3/8 inch thick.
  16. YachtForums

I've often thought, we should have a "make-up free" holiday for *some* women... then realized... this might not be a good idea. ;) :eek:

You've raised a good point Codger and I can validate the same. Like the old addage... "clothes cover a multitude of sins"... well, paint and filler work likewise. Boat building is as much an art... as it is a science. Raw steel and aluminum hulls (and superstructures) must be "faired" to achieve the smooth lines and transitions we consumers take for granted when viewing a finished product. It's a heck of a lot of work. Even fiberglass yachts, which are pulled from exact molds, often need a fair amount of fairing as well (pun intended). The difference being... how exact the foundation is to begin with, before the fairing starts.
  17. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I'm rather at a loss on this. I can order steel plate in any size, thickness, curvature and shape imaginable. I've seen ship construction in Korea that involved individual preformed plates that were accurate to a mm or two and these were not small pieces. After the welds were ground you couldn't see where the joint was from a distance of 3 metres. Do the yacht builders just not avail themselves of this capability or is it a case of "we've done it this way for a hundred years blah blah".
  18. YachtForums

LOL! No... it's simply different strokes for different folks. The metal shaping technology available, which is used by a good number of builders, produces nearly perfect raw structures, but the level of fairing and finishing, after the welds have been ground, varies among manufacturers. Still, there are many custom substructures that require a high level of fairing. You might say... there's a lot of art that goes into the science.
  19. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Me, i love seeing boats in the flesh, hence raising the point. When i did my placement at a major player in <60 feet motor boats, i loved to wander round the factory after the fitters and builders had gone home! The smell, the rawness and the fragility of these wonderful craft always amazed me, seeing them going from drawing board to production was a great experience, one i imagine a lot of people would give a lot to see, this was basically the reason i origianlly asked. The company where i was, i know they are very tight with security, other places i've been too are not so, so spy photos are not usually great quality, but give an added sense of sneakiness. :D
  20. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Jon :) Part of it is knowing what all the structures are under the skin and how they've been put together. I used to be able to walk through Boeing's plant and see aircraft from start to finish.
    AMG's Bling should be nickel plated. Electroplating something that size has not been done but I can think of no good reason why it can't be. :)