Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Peter Hledin: The genius behind Skater Powerboats

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by catmando, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Yes I know, not yachts but a treasure trove of fiberglass boatbuilding from the man who started at the bottom and built Skater into the strongest, fastest, best-handling catamarans and V bottoms in the industry.

http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/20071011/
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Before going big, I was going FAST. Here's my 24' Skater. It was hull #6 out of the mold from Peter Hledin...

[​IMG]
  3. SharkyFHB

SharkyFHB Senior Member

Great pic Carl.
    What was her top speed?

JH
  4. YachtForums

Pic was taken by an old friend and part-time photographer, Greg Blahurt. This was the first time he ever hung from a harness and the quality of the shots reflected the same. Nearly 100 pictures were taken. About 10 came out half-way decent. He missed almost every jump. :rolleyes:

In the jump pictured above, I hit a negative G and was pulled up out of the seat. I actually sat much lower. Of course, these were the days WAY before 6-piece restraining harnesses and F-16 canopies.

Back when Don Schwebe ran Mercury's Lake-X facility, my boat held the lake's top speed record (for a 24 Skater) one year at 103.5 mph. 24 Skaters were the rage in offshore racing in the late 80's, paving the way for much larger, much faster catamarans... but not before a few of us rolled, stuffed and grew accustomed to the taste of hospital food.

Ahh... the good old days! Back before my "No Fear" sticker expired.
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Pretty racy stuff.
    Now, I know what an 'assassin' is, but please enlighten us as to what your boat name means.
  6. Yacht Novice

Yacht Novice New Member

Pete is also a very nice guy in addition to being an innovative builder at the top of his game.

Yachtforums - nice picture. I've spent quite a bit of a time driving a 24 Skater with twin 2.5s putting out a bit more power than the boat or engines were originally designed around! :eek: That's a fun machine.

Fast cats are an addiction all to themselves. I was recently a passenger running 150mph - 151mph in a 3600 Nor-tech and having a blast! I just wish it were a bit faster... :D
  7. YachtForums

That's the result of an illiterate sign painter and a race deadline to meet! A few days later, I had the name stripped and re-painted with the proper spelling. Good catch Loren. Most people miss it.
  8. catmando

catmando Senior Member

That's very fast in an open-cockpit boat that small. I might be squawking like a scared chicken but I prefer a full canopy, oxygen mask and racing harness at that speed.
  9. catmando

catmando Senior Member

Carl do you still have the Skater? I would love to have a 28 with 300Xs.
  10. YachtForums

CatMan,

The last Skater I had was a 28' with 2.5's, back in 1996. Both the 24' & 28' were amazing boats. Actually, the 28' was a quantum leap in rough water capability and ride quality. I've slowed down a bit since then, enjoying an occasional offshore jaunt in my Powerplay.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.