Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

Perkins Diesels 1985

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Earl Mastin, Jun 3, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Earl Mastin

Earl Mastin New Member

Looking at a yacht with 1985 Perkins, 4000 hrs. any comments on these engines appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is it your check book or do you really enjoy the abuse?
    Perkins has 3 licensed plants over the world. all making the same model engine; Just no parts are interchangeable. All have reliable designs, just not high tech.
    You really want to go here?
    You want Perkins, buy something within 15 years old from the north Atlantic.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Wouldn't touch anything Perkins, Service network and parts are a mess from beginning to the end.
    Look on the bright side Earl, You live in what is undoubtedly one of the most exceptionally beautiful places in America.
    I'd give a couple of digits to be able to afford a shack on the lake...
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can he really get to the left coast from there?
  5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

There's a large marine presence on that lake & some good size vessels out there. A few 60 ft sailboats, large cruisers etc. Quite a few custom boutique builders out there producing everything from racing sailboats to replica Gar Woods types. Like I said, Certainly worth a couple of digits...
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

In tech school (ATL) I messed around Lake Hartwell and Lake Lanier.
    IMO, they sucked.
    I enjoyed the NC, SC or home in NE FL coast. You have to taste the salt and real fish to really enjoy any water.
    If it does not connect to salt water, inland lakes do not interest me. So I had to ask if it connected to the left coast (real water).

I still deliver (drag) cruisers to Lake Hartwell and Lake Marion from JAX. Still don't get it (but I'm paid).

I'm not a Lib. If you enjoy the inland water lakes and ways; Great and have fun. Don't mean to take any thunder from your smiles.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I had one once....20 years ago....They run good and are durable, but generally leak oil like a sieve. Parts are hard to come by but you can get them. In this day and age I'd probably pass or just plan on putting reman cummins 6BT's in, in the future.