Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Mulder

Pembroke / Calypso / Pequod Yachts

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by alloyed2sea, Dec 15, 2004.

1. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

They started off building some of the finest lapstrake wooden-hulled vessels on the East Coast, and successfully transitioned to fiberglass (using the old wooden hulls as "plugs" for their GRP offerings) after briefly becoming Calypso Yachts.
    Here's a great personal website devoted to Pembrokes:
    http://www.pembrokeboats.com/
    Nothing lasts forever, however ('cept Pembrokes in history - see: http://www.gwpda.org/naval/pembroke.htm) and they shuttled the factory doors in the early 80s. :eek:
    No brochure shots currently available, so here's my old family cruiser, "Serendipity" (1968 Sedan 32' - we added the bridge ourselves) - with me standing by in Dec 1969 or (1970?) at Tracy's Creek Marina, MD (now Herrington Harbor). ;)
    A 41' SF Pembroke is also shown below.
    Pequod 34s came later - all fiberglass.

Attached Files:

2. srhathome

srhathome New Member

PEQUOD BOATS? ANYONE CAN YOU HELP?

Does anyone know about Pequod boats? What was the last year built? 1st year?
    Quality? Is their a web site on this company? Boat owners association?
    Just purchased my 1st Pequod and cannot find any info. on the web.
    Would love your help.
    Steve
  3. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Received this email about Pequods....

Hope its ok to post it: (Right Capt Vic?:eek: )

"Hello! saw your message about Pequods, I own a 1972 Pequod. As far as I know I have 1 of the first glass Pequods/Pembrokes. Production of wooden Pembrokes ended in 1970.
    So far I have (not?) found any Pequods older than mine, and the newest I've found was a 1980. While my boat was built in 1972 it was not titled until 1973, I believe it was probably a demo but there is no true way to tell.
    It is rumored they only made 20 of these boats but again there's no one to ask, I can however attest to it's dry ride and weatherly conduct in heavy seas, as it's primary function is offshore fishing.
    She is currently undergoing a major refit and some modifications to better suit her for this purpose. if you have anymore info. for me or if I can help you, don't hesitate to e-mail back- thanks!"

- Capt. Vic
    "Captain Vic @ YachtForums.Com" <celestinebanks@yahoo.com>
  4. captain frank

captain frank New Member

pequod scuttle butt

Greetings fellow pequod owners. I have a 1974 that I purchased in late 94. since that time I added some new features, the most outstanding was the addition of a custom aluminum half tower with an EZ2CY enclosure and a teak bow pulpit. I replaced the windshield and side sliding windows this past summer with units I had made by Ocean Dynamics in Miami. The lower station had to be moved aftward 1.25 inches to accomodate a built-in ref/freezer. I used a Norcold full size unit. While involved with that project I discovered the open space that was basically closed off under the galley floor. A hinged door above the stairs drawer opens this space for storage and in my case a prefect location for a Lectra-San system, battery charger, and other electronics needing a dry but easilly accesible location. Since the tools were still plugged in I relocated the saloon A/C coil into the locker to the right of the lower helm and just behind the refridgerator bringing the discharge duct straight upward and thru the dash panel. This directs discharge air up to the cieling and fills the salon with cold/heated air. The left over space above the A/C unit is just right for a Liquor Locker or pantry type storage. The medicine cabinet can be removed for access from the back side. This season's project will be to finish some interior woodwork and to add underfloor insulation while replacing the wall to wall carpeting with Teak Parquet flooring. The repowering will follow but at this time I do not know which engine/trans combination will work the best. I heard that someone had installed GM 454's on to the orig. paragons. Any suggestions out there?
  5. JoeShoes

JoeShoes New Member

Pequod 34's

I am new to this forum and I have owned a Pequod 34 for five years. Would like to communicate with owners of this vessel for ideas. Also, would really like to know the history of the boar. Specifically I would like to know where i could get replacement struts.

Thanks,

Joe
  6. strumsurf

strumsurf New Member

pembroke pequod 33

Hi, just wanted to post that I have owned a 72 woodie Pembroke Pequod 33 for several years, if anyone has any questions about their project, I will be happy to help, I have done lots to this boat.....The boat will be for sale in Spring after I get her prepped for the season. If you know anyone looking for a nice Pembroke for around 6K please feel free to drop my email to them.

Ted email strumsurf@hotmail.com
  7. Mark E Psaros

Mark E Psaros New Member

Pequod 34 Sport Sedan

Hello Pequod owner's. I just joined the yacht forum. I own A 1974 34'Pequod Sport Sedan. I know they are A very well built boat. As far as I know. They were built in Concord NH industrial park. I just rebuilt one of the 318's last year. Now I am resealing all the windows and frames. I am trying to bring her back to original. I owned it for two years now and my wife and family like it very much. I know of three more in Newburyport
  8. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

"Known Survivors"

Spotted a Pequod 34' yesterday in Annapolis harbor - sorry, no photographs, but can confirm that she looked in excellent condition, and that her captain was able.
    Cheers!
    Eric
  9. Cdenjo

Cdenjo New Member

My First boat Pequod 34'

I bought my 1975 34' Pequod in November of 2006. The vessel is documented with the Coast Guard and hails the name Carried Aweigh. The interior has been redone and the inside steering control had been removed and replaced with an LCD TV. It has a seatalk system so that the steering can be controlled with a computer from inside but I do not have the software to try it out. The 318's were replaced in 1998 with Marine Power 454 GM motors with V-Drives. The Props are 19 x 21. Does anyone know if these are the original size propellers? A diesel generator has been added also. I do not believe this was with the original eqipment. The fuel tanks are 210 gallons each. Are these original? I like many other people have been trying to find out more information about the Pequod Sport Fisher. That is how I found this Post. Would love to find a manual and would pay to have it copied. I am currently renting a boat lift that is rated for 21,000 pounds. I am guessing that with the additions that it probably weighs 19000 lbs but not for sure. I could not attach pictures but can send if requested.
  10. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Chicken vs. Egg

Here's a couple of interesting ads which raise the question - when did Pembroke (Calypso/Pequod/Pemglas) first go to fiberglass? and did they keep on making wooden hulls at the same time?? or was it truly more than one company??? :confused:
    And the rest, as they say, is history:
    1971 Calypso 33 (Wood); and,
    The all-new 1969 Pemglas 34 Sedan, wow!:cool:

Attached Files:

11. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Random Pequod PhotoEs

'Cause othewise they just sit in the archives, gathering silica dust,...:rolleyes:
    They're:
    "Carried Aweigh"
    "Free Willie"
    "Maine Mistress"

Cheers!
    Eric

Attached Files:

12. Cdenjo

Cdenjo New Member

Great Pictures

You already have a picture of my boat the Carried Away. All my pictures are greater than 2 meg jpeg's so I cannot attach them. It looks exactly the same except the top has a full bimini all around.

Thanks
  13. diverasta

diverasta New Member

our new dive boat Roatan Honduras

found it in a marina
    repowered with yanmar diesel 240hp
    max speed 28 knt with trim tabbs

Attached Files:

14. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

1969_Pembroke_33

From the web - an original Pembroke "woodie" (although it was a referred to as a Pequod, not!).
    Sweet interior though - nice finish work! :p

Attached Files:

15. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Pequod 34 Brochure/Details

Found this brochure for the "new" Pequod 34 - One Whale of a Boat!!;)
    Who knew it came with a choice of three floor plans?:eek:
    Thanx Capt Greg!

Attached Files:

16. Jeff G

Jeff G New Member

Must be me!

I expect that the Pequod you spotted in Annapolis was "Melody". She's a '76 and I bought her in '99. She's been a wonderful, dependable boat for us. When I bought her, I did some research and managed to contact some of the key people that built Pequods in Concord, NH. I have correspondence and some of the literature and also found a fairly thorough article in a 1977 "Boating" magazine. I copied it at the Library of Congress in black & white. I need to go back with my scanner. The owner closed up the the company in 1982. There was a major downturn in the boating business then. He said he could have cheapened the boat but decided to close up instead. The molds were stored in a barn and subsiquently lost in a fire. I have been thinking of putting up a web site with all this stuff but haven't gotten around to it.

I've decided to put "Melody" on the market after her spring haul-out. I'm getting ready to retire and my wife & I will buy a sailboat to cruise the Caribbean during the winters while we are still ambulatory.

Jeff
  17. Jeff G

Jeff G New Member

18. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Very nice site Jeff. Excellent work! They are great boats!
  19. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'm getting ready to list for sale a 1969 Pembroke 33' lapstrake wood, shed kept, same owner for 30 years, repowered with FWC Crusaders 10 years ago. BRISTOL! Located eastern shore Md. PM me for info. Price will be around $20K.

Attached Files:

20. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Seller wants her gone. Now $9999. and listed on ebay.