Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

Part 1: Northern Marine 90' Yacht Capsizes Upon Launch...!

Discussion in 'Northern Marine Yacht' started by olderboater, May 19, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Is this your way of informing me to stop reading your posts? :D

As for after sunset, midnight auto comes to mind - out of sight, out of mind.

Seriously, they were waiting for the tide (11:23 pm) to assist.

2014 Tide Table for Anacortes (Guemes Channel), Washington for fishing <º(((><
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Ok, that makes sense. And I see their night high tide is much greater than their morning and the swings there are great as well. Thanks for answering.
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

In Australia, no bank will loan substantial amounts of money without substantial equity.
    I would have thought the GFC taught the US banks to change the lending criteria.
    If not, if they do lose; they will be in good company..
  4. olderboater

The primary lender in this case may have some secured interests. However, there is no property involved. So it can only be equipment and molds and inventory. But if the buyers have well written contracts (which they may or may not) then they have claim to their boats in construction. So really there isn't much of anything for anybody. The only other item of potential value is the name and I question whether it holds any real value, especially today.
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

Thanks ScotL...

Read carefully the repost in Comment by Veeder...there lies the real answer

6. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

The launch time was tide related...

The wheels set are in no way related to what happened as speculated by that that moron skipper that got kicked-to-the-curb...they are brand new and worked just fine.

oldboater...you outta shut the **** up as you know pretty much nothing about Northern Marine and its business/assets/customers.

Is there something you're any good at...?

Carl outta kick your raunchy butt outta here..
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

8. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

His post reads like something a grade schooler would write, or didn't you notice that..

He needs glasses...or at least be on site before he attempts to post like he knows something.

Nothing in his post is accurate information.

3 wheel sets....8 tires per, and all were first time use...irrelevant anyway

The boat was never put in reverse...

The Mt. Vernon Towing rig was simply for safety...assisting the Grove Crane down the ramp, spooling out cable.
  9. olderboater

Because I didn't think of the tide factor and asked then I'm a moron. I'm not use to tide dependent launching as most of the areas I go don't have 10 foot tides and do have lifts for launching. Very good, Alaskan. And I never claimed to know why it tilted and sank as while I believe the design flawed, I do not know that caused it. Doesn't matter at this point. It happened. They're closed.

None of the above has anything to do with business knowledge or knowledge of their business and those are areas my experience is great. As to personal attacks on a forum like this, I choose not to behave that way. If I have a problem with another person, I discuss it in private. If you want to complain about me, I'd suggest you do so directly in a private message to Carl. Now as to what I know about their assets and their customers their business and their litigation, I believe my information is quite reliable. It's at least come from multiple sources in the know including some with direct business relationships. I am not going to say exactly the information or how I got it as I retain confidentiality when people share things. I guess next you'll claim Carl knows nothing either.

Some of the information I have is public record if you just know where to look. Easy to identify who owns the property. I was also just in the area for two weeks and heard a lot. I didn't predict their closing publicly prior to Carl disclosing it, largely out of respect that they were an advertiser here. I certainly did not anticipate it happening today.

Where my thoughts have been speculative, I've attempted to state so. But many of those are based off of years of experience and observing very similar situations.

I'd apologize for offending you if I honestly knew what I'd said so offensive. I'm sorry to see the demise of a builder and all the people hurt in the process. But this was set in motion several years ago and the turnaround needed just never quite happened.

I'm also not going to call the skipper a moron nor do I feel it's appropriate for you to do so. I have however stated that in reading what he says one should consider that he could lack objectivity based on his termination. Doesn't mean he's right or wrong, just that is a factor to consider when reading his statements. I don't know him at all.

I appreciate Old Phart answering why question about the time, regardless of whether he considered it stupid or not. Before I looked at the tidal chart, I would have thought why not the morning high tide, but then I saw the difference and perhaps they needed that extra two feet. I know nothing more than the photos regarding their launching ramp.

I know some things, I don't know some. I've posted erroneously and I've accepted correction. I've asked questions and learned a lot here. And when I post opinions they are just that like everyone else's opinions. Neither right nor wrong, just opinion.
  10. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Since my first post regarding this thread, I have been troubled that "we" or most of us are assisinating the company without real proof of what caused the yacht launch to fail. Especially when I viewed the photos and wondered if it was the launch method and not the design. People such as myself, who have no qualified boat design knowledge or similar should probably remain observers on this thread. My only experience of boating is as a skipper(unqualified of course) of various boats up to 65 feet running offshore the S.E. Coast of Australia for the last 20 years. I never got my licence or Master 5 due to business restraints, i.e. time.
    So when I read Sottl link Early speculation on Northern Marine sinking: and your first post referring to it, I felt I might ask Carl to remove my posts.
    Then you made the post against olderboater and I think you are the one who should be thinking about what you write on such a public forum.
    If you, an Alaskan salmon fisherman of whatever qualification, are allowed an opinion, then all members are and let the moderators and members be the judge.
    Manners show character. Something olderboater has shown an awful lot of on this forum
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

It will be interesting to observe which post proves more accurate - his or yours.

Early speculation on Northern Marine sinking:
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Quite a few visitors looking at the Northern Marine thread today. Glad we're back on our dedicated server!

Attached Files:

13. olderboater

Yes, a couple of weeks ago this probably wouldn't have worked as well. That's what it is, a test for your new server. It's definitely a hot topic. I guess the sinking would be anyway, but especially big news because they publicized and built up the launch so. They were very successful in getting people interested and paying attention. Just not the outcome they were hoping for. That's what happens on live tv and in the real world.

I would imagine in a few hours there will be updates from those near the scene.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I spoke too soon...

Attached Files:

15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

And overall...

16. olderboater

Train wreck syndrome.

To the world this whole thing is probably an insignificant event. But to those involved or interested in boating and boat building in the US, it's large. Probably shouldn't be since they only built a couple of boats a year, but just the loss of another builder is sad.
  17. olderboater

18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If the vessel were stationary and not beyond the point of no return surely anyone with an ounce of knowledge of launching vessels would have stopped and had a look at what was causing this odd angle of attack.
  19. olderboater

Well, Wes's comment was along the lines of we saw it tilted more than normal then paused to collect ourselves, then continued. I'm paraphrasing at the moment. Will find the exact quote. And he was their director of HR and safety.

“The boat tilted to one side, and though not unusual, the amount of tilt was a little abnormal, so we paused to collect ourselves and assure that everything was going be right, and as we continued to lower it down, it pitched and that’s when it went over,” said Fridell.

Here is another quote.

“It just at one point lurched at its cradle. We don’t know exactly why at this point because the cradle had been inspected and is sound. And then we reinspected everything before we proceeded. … Once it floated in the water, it went over. So we do not know the cause at this point,” he said Monday.
  20. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

An acquaintance of mine reportedly has a 80' Expedition Yacht "Northern Marine 8002" under construction currently. Perhaps her launch will be delayed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.