Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Burger

Part 1: Northern Marine 90' Yacht Capsizes Upon Launch...!

Discussion in 'Northern Marine Yacht' started by olderboater, May 19, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I'm taking everything he writes with a grain of salt (or less eloquently- As BS). I'm sure there was a reason he was removed from his post, and seems to have an axe to grind.

He makes claim that Josh Gulbransen was the PM. Josh is a friend and assures me that we was not the project manager at any time.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Stability calculation

First thing, which came into my mind, when I saw the post about the NM 90 sinking upon launch, was the Vasa tragedy from 1628. But we have 2014 now!!!

From reading the stability calculation, I have the impression, that these calculation were taken from a previous, similar hull with some "gestimations" added about the higher volume and weight aloft. It seems, they were trying to add some stability by adding more ballast in a trial and error method, with the boat in the water and later doing a final cranking test. The workers trying to relocate loose ballast in the engine room during the capsize are some kind of proof for that.

The project manager and / or the owner representative really need to be questioned, how such a calculated (if at all) boat could reach a stage of build, where a launch was agreed upon. I would call that 16th century boat building.

And a yard, where such a boat leaves the shed for final launch, would never see me as a customer, period.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

5. olderboater

Incidentally, Wes, who is the Northern representative seen talking is their head of Human Resources and Safety Compliance.

At this point we don't really know the details of what happened but we know a 90' boat was launched, rolled and sunk and we also know several lives were endangered and one man came frighteningly close to being killed. Fortunately others acted wisely and worked to rescue him. So whatever happened it's a horrible tragedy and a terrible reflection on Northern. Will they survive it? Well, I have my opinion on that but will withhold it for now, primarily out of respect for them being an advertiser on this site.
  6. olderboater

Different time, different place, different circumstances.
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

8. olderboater

Just because things look the same on the surface doesn't mean they are. I'll stick by my statement and you're welcome to disagree. But it is a different time and place, quite obviously, and the country and location could make things very different. And as to the circumstances they include the health of the company, the situation of the boat (in this case sold but not delivered and probably mostly paid for), and the parties involved. I believe this one is going to be far more complicated to unravel.
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

You're being pedantic... the fact remains, in both cases, a large and expensive boat was put in the water and through one form of ineptitude or another ended up on it's side.
  10. olderboater

Actually the only point I was arguing was that this will be quickly forgotten like the other one. (Edit note: I was arguing against that point). I'm simply stating that this one might well have far more repercussions than the other one and much more lasting impact.
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

These two statements are as different as their colors.
  12. olderboater

They were intended to be. I was arguing against the statement that it would quickly be forgotten. Sorry, if that was unclear. I edited to clear that up.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Check back in about a month. Even if the builder goes titso few other than the principles will note nor long remember.
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

And on that note, I just received word that Andy called a meeting with his employees today and announced that Northern Marine is closing down.
  15. olderboater

Well, that's what I was referring to and expecting, just not that fast.
  16. bliss

bliss Senior Member

A quick search leads me to believe the new owner was to be Nixon E Lauridsen of Ames, Iowa
  17. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Keep an eye out for a new company, opening in the near future, different name, same owner and critical personnel.

The pain will be felt mostly by the people and companies/suppliers that are owed money.
  18. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

19. revluc

revluc Member

It looks like in one of the videos when they were moving "Baden" to the finish bay there was/is another yacht in production in the shed. If that is the case wonder what will happen to that project?
  20. olderboater

My understanding is, and this is strictly here-say, that there are other boats in some stage of construction, as many as three, and already was some legal action either contemplated or taken. Having recently been in that area, there was quite a bit of scuttlebutt.

If this is typical, they'll all have to get their boats finished elsewhere and probably have substantial losses. This is once again why knowing your builder and their financial condition is so important.

I imagine now that this has happened, you'll see people coming from out of the woodwork with issues of one type or another from vendors to customers.

As quickly as this was announced today, I have a feeling they had already anticipated the possibility, this just made it have to happen now. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a progress payment due when it was floated and they were depending on that payment to continue for now.

Again much is speculation, but regardless of specifics, the situation is bad. Employees out of jobs, Vendors not paid, and customers left hanging.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.