Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Burger

PARI Aground in France

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by K1W1, Jun 2, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. HMI

HMI New Member

2. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Yacht Runs Aground on Rocks in Med

I just read this on Dockwalk website but did not see mention of the running aground of M/Y Parl on May 30 here.

Megayacht Aground off Cap Ferrat
    By Louisa Beckett [Photo by Andrew Clelland]

The 40-metre motor yacht Pari went hard aground on the rocks off Saint-Jean-Cap Ferrat around 4:30a.m. on Saturday morning, May 30. Strong wind from the east caused the yacht to drag anchor, according to local news reports, including an article published on Varmatin.com.

Eight people – six crew and the two owners – reportedly were on board Pari during the incident. First responders, including gendarmes from Beaulieu, Saint-Jean police and firefighters, evacuated the owners and crew. Three of the crew reportedly were taken to a local hospital, but luckily, it appears no one was seriously hurt. The captain of Pari remained on board to help with rescue operations.

Of immediate concern was the yacht’s load of diesel fuel, which reportedly is leaking from one tank due to damage caused by her grounding. “At 7 a.m., the odor could be smelled as far as Nice!” exclaimed writer Guillaume Bertolino in his article on Varmatin.com dated May 31.

A team from the SDIS (Service Départemental d’Incendie et de Secours) was dispatched to assess the threat of pollution but they pronounced it minimal. The tugboat Abeille Flandres arrived from Toulon, but according to Bertolino, but the hull damage was too extensive for towing. The salvage operation is planned for the coming days and, says Bertolino, everyone’s crossing their fingers for calm weather until then.

Built by Alucraft in Turkey to a design by Vincenzo Ruggiero, the blue-hulled motor yacht Pari was launched in 1989.

Attached Files:

3. corinthian99

corinthian99 New Member

HMI - you'd be absolutely correct. That anchorage is famous for being tricky in any sort of easterly. Standard procedure is to up sticks and head round to Ville Franche. It does blow up quite suddenly there - one minute a breezy 20kts next minute suddenly 30+ kts. Don't know why he didn't shift, but then again easy in hindsight.
  4. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Everytime I see a large yacht with ground tackle that is useless in any kind of a blow, I shake my head. I don't get it. For less than the cost of the cushions or one tank of fuel or one years insurance. The boat would be safe today.
  5. Mike448

Mike448 Member

Agreed 100% - its is cheap insurance. BUT, as captains and seaman, we are still responsible for the vessel we command and must make the best use of the tools we have. We must know the limitations of our equipment and make the best use of what we have.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well, let's see. Obviously the ground tackle wasn't adequate for the job or not enough scope was let out, the GPS and Radar alarms weren't sufficient to alert him and whoever (if anybody) was on anchor watch didn't do their job. Don't think someone made the 'best use of what they had'. Very sad picture.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I remember Pari from the mid 90:s when she had a blackout in the Port Camille Rayon in Golfe Juan...

Attached Files:

• Pari.jpg
      Pari.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
  8. cyd

cyd New Member

Unfortunately, in that part of the bay, the sea bottom is covered in very thick long sea-grass, metres deep, so, when the winds really pick up, and anchor's do not hold, they turn into the equivalent of a comb being pulled through your hair, and the result is a very fast track onto the rocks.
  9. ancora 1

ancora 1 New Member

I was on the premises...at home...when Paris hit the rocks....this painful accident doesn't prevent yachts from anchoring very close to the coast...and not small units....incredible !
  10. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

Pari is reported to be free: she has been towed around Cap Ferrat to Bassin De Radoub - graving dock at Villefranche 27-6-2009
  11. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Replace the stars with (*******).
  12. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

OK, I give up. What's the deal with the stars?
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It is probably a name of a competing website that is replaced with stars by default....
  14. AffrayedKnot

Pari photos: salvage tow and graving dock...

Attached Files:

15. HMI

HMI New Member

Good to see her upright again !
  16. AffrayedKnot

What happened to the salvage and graving photos ?
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There could be a couple of reasons.

1) Were they hot linked to another website by any chance?

2) They are copyrighted and you are not the copyright holder nor do you have the copyright holders written permission to use them here

3) The might have been way too big and the mods dumped them rather than re sizing for you ( Not usuually what happens for the first time ot two that New Members post)

4) You might not have actually posted anything in the first place.:)
  18. AffrayedKnot

1) No links

2) Photos were posted to me directly and I posted from my catalog

3) 35k, 47k, 51k & 51K - average or smaller than most posted here

4) I reviewed the postings as did others before they were removed

Just trying to grasp the lay of the land here guys and if certain rules apply... just who or whom do they apply to.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I guess that you were just the victim of circumstance.

You could write a note to Carl the Site admin and ask that they be left alone if they are not infringing the house rules and then re post them.

Personally I would like to see the underwater aspects of what is left of this boat.