Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Painting a beautiful 50 post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Beau, Jan 10, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I can't say that I haven't put a scratch or 2 in to the hull gelcoat, but the several larger/patching repairs (nothing major) that I've had to do over the years have been due to my dock mates "rustic" handling.

Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I suggest it needs painting. My avatar still pretty accurately represents the gelcoat condition.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My thoughts also, if she is a keeper.
    Were looking at approx $1000 to $1200 per sport fisher length.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our 42 year old Bertram still is original. Patches everywhere.
    Josie tells me, when fish come up and says; Ueeah, an ugly boat, then toss the hook, then we will paint her..
    Until then, Patina every where and this MY raises fish and rides fine.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Yeah, you are probably right, I'll let my estate worry about what to do - hopefully in another 20 years from now.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There ya go. Save your bux for fuel, bait and air fair for me when we go fishing on your ship next outing..:D:D:D
  6. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

So have you decided to keep the Post? I can certainly understand why after moving up to the 50 this year
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I certainly would like to keep the boat for another 20, but that depends up my wife's condition, Without boring anybody, she has Alzheimer's and was my first mate and constant travel travel companion for the last 47 years We have a full time aide but she will be entering a care facility soon. I'm on a wait an see how it goes basis to see whether I will use my puppy.

So you're enjoying Soulstice? The 50' with the Mans is a near perfect vessel immo.
  8. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Beau, I am sincerely sorry about your wife’s health. I witnessed my fathers descent into dementia and it was not pretty. I can only imagine to watching it happen to a spouse. Try to keep your head up.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks. Fortunately I have a great family support team! And people like you.

Back to boating, which makes me beam, after 20 years I thought some touching up/ upgrades might be in order. But as I read the comments here and other threads , I'm thinkin' I don't really need to do anything major. Mechanically and structurally Bodacious is in excellent condition. It's the cosmetic stuff. There is something to be said about "vintage" I've done small stuff like teak helm chairs, LED tv's, sun canvas etc, but not major refit or upgrade. My electronics are excellent for me and were top of the line, but original "stuff".
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For just the hull? Here in Fort Lauderdale the going rate is about $400' for just the hull. The rubrail up is where it gets expensive.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If it works, then all is good.
  12. Beau

Beau Senior Member

So that an approximate $20K finish with Awlgrip (or whatever the proper name is) for a 50', all in, sanding, fairing etc? That's where my gelcoat patches are located.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, last boat I had awlgripped with Awlcraft 2000 was with a very well established, well regarded yard in Fort Lauderdale, was a 62' Predator which has a really tall hull, we paid $24k, granted this was in 2014. A 50' post SF hull is easy when it comes to prep, no port holes, very little to mask off, hull isn't that tall, etc. etc. If your boat is sitting in a heated shed, talk to your yard as far as price,if they do good paint work, as it might be a good time since they could sand and prep the boat now and spray it as soon as it warms up a bit and a few days later, launch.

Rubrail up is the expensive part as there's so much to remove, sand around, tape, etc. (a lot more labor).
  14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Thanks Capt J

I store in the water so its a next season project if I go forward. Right now not inclined to do that from all the info I've received. Thanks
  15. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

I am so sorry to hear that Beau, I will keep you and your family in your prayers.

We are very much enjoying Soulstice, we got out for a while when my wife was pregnant and life was complicated with some crazy work situations. Now my wife and four year old are loving every second on the water and in the Post hence the planning for the addition of a davit to use the dingy more. I am loving the MAN's, the 820's are robust and fairly simple engines but boy do they get the 50 going.
  16. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Keep your puppy as long as you want or can...I'm sorry to hear about your wife , chin up the best you can.
    BUT, your boat is your therapy, like mine , where you can clear your head by working on it, up keep etc..You don't have to leave the dock as much to still enjoy it. Sounds like you have as very nice clean boat, that to us, still looks great. I would hold up on the paint job, maybe get a gelcoat guy in to work on the dings, for less money. Or just leave it be and keep plugging away with the general maintenance and just to go hang out on it.
  17. Beau

Beau Senior Member

My sweet spot is 1850 rpm I can run them all day at that level. about 50 gph , 27 knots. If you take care of those engines, in my experience, they will return the favor.

Sweet cruising with your family. We started with our children in a 33 Egg , they cruised with us until their mid teens - then we became uncool. They came back after college, and they admit some of their best childhood memories come from boating. BTW, I am an UNO Master.
  18. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I had my Cabo painted approx 5 yrs ago because the gelcoat had begun to craze. It wasn't cheap because they sanded the gelcoat down to bare glass, repaired a few cracks and painted. Definitely alot easier to maintain than gelcoat. They used Awlcraft 2000.

Also have a friend who put a white wrap on his boat and it has held up great. Its been on his boat since 2011.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020