Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

Painting a 54' Donzi Sportfish

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, Dec 12, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. alvareza

alvareza Member

Really enjoyed your RE power thread and now this one.

On the iPhone the following seems to work. Open the picture, take a screenshot of it, crop as needed and post it.
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I tried but still got same error message that file is too large
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Here's some updates and photos. I busted out the laptop just for you guys so I could post these :);)

This is the cockpit freezer, tackle center and aft bulkhead now painted in final color. Also showing the forward mask which has now had a full fiberglass applied over the whole area.
    Cockpit Freezer Final Color.jpg Tackle Center Final Color.jpg Aft BHD Final Color.jpg STBD Mask Update.jpg Mask Fiberglass.jpg
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

The freeboard (except transom) is now final painted and clear coated. The dual boot top stripes were just painted on.

STBD Freeboard Final Color.jpg STBD Bow Final Color.jpg Port Bow Final Color.jpg Port Freeboard Final Color.jpg Port Bob Boot Top Stripes.jpg
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

The bow deck is ready for paint and the transom is n final primer

Bow Deck.jpg Transom Primer 2.jpg Transom in Primer.jpg

Attached Files:

chesapeake46 likes this.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Transom Door Backing Plate in Primer.jpg So far I have shown you all the good mostly. I have shown the bad which is the forward mask although it was expected and well on its way to full restoration. Now here's the ugly that was not expected but has been repaired to better than factory:

When we removed the transom door and hinge we found some unexpected delamination where the fiberglass separated from the backing plate that is glassed into the transom.

View attachment 98554 Transom Door 2.jpg

We decided to remove the entire backing plate and replace the whole thing. And glass the new one in better than it come from the factory. Once we got the plate removed I wanted to make sure no water or moisture got into the transom void behind the plate. So we cut a window our behind the plate for inspection. Fortunately it was bone dry in there.

Transom Door Backing Plate Removed.jpg

The backing plate has been replaced, all glass work done and is in primer now. We will hang the door, Fit it for perfect gaps then drill and tap the backing plate once we locate the holes in the perfect place.

Transom Door Backing Plate Replaced.jpg

Sorry, my photos got out of order somehow. The first photo is the completed repair in final primer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    cleanslate and chesapeake46 like this.
  7. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I couldn't help but notice that not a lot of hardware was removed, is this something new in industry? Or was this an ROI decision?
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

We actually removed a lot of stuff. The basic premise we used was if it comes off without heroic efforts then remove it. The items you are seeing that are taped off are either heavily bedded in 5200 or thru bolted or in most cases both. Many of the thru bolted items have the inside hardware buried behind head liner or joinery or other similar items. I decided not to take apart much of the interior to access these items. This is yet another reason I am staying with the original color.
    cleanslate likes this.
  9. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I am the side ways man …! Size doesn’t seem to matter they’ll come out sideways for some reason.
    So if I use my IPad , photos will turn out as I see them ?
    Is this just an old iPhone thing ? Mine being old …
    Sorry I’m so techno illiterate.

Anyway your boat is looking super!
    Big job ! You have to draw the line somewhere on the deck fittings when it comes to removal and paint.
  10. Rerm

Rerm New Member

Man, that Donzi has pretty lines!!!!

DOCKMASTER, you sir, own a pretty boat!!!!
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thank you, very kind of you.

I visited the boat in person yesterday for the first time since painting started. I was surprised at how involved the set-up and process is. From the massive scaffolding to create the tent, to the scaffolding inside the tent to access everywhere, protections everywhere, etc. I didn't take any photos as nearly everything is covered. They were applying final primer to the top and sides of the hard top as well as exterior sides of the flybridge. So everything else is covered and protected.

I decided to add the inside of the lazarette to the scope. Nothing other than loose gear is being removed. So they are scaping and sanding and working around equipment and wiring. I mainly wanted the laz and bilge freshened up. Also, to keep paint from flaking off and clogging my bilge pumps which has happened twice. I was starting to see some light surface corrosion on the big fuel tank and the stanchions in the laz. So those will get full sanding, primed with direct to metal primer then finish coated. The laz final paint will be bright white International 990 urethane. Same paint we used on the engine room. It is ultra bright and anything that gets on it wipes off easily.

I'll share more pictures when there is something to see.
  12. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

The painting inside the lazarette is done. It came out pretty god for just doing a quick freshen up I think.

STBD Laz Inboard Painted.jpg STBD Laz Outboard Painted.jpg TRansom Laz Painted.jpg Steering Ram Laz Painted.jpg STBD Laz Painted.jpg
    cleanslate likes this.
  13. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

More prep work on the forward mask which is now in AwlFair. Also prep on the upper portions of the flybridge. We found another repair spot on the center of the upper flybridge where the hard top struts bolt to it. We cut the strut off to get them out of the way. Cut it all out and new fiberglass. Once everything is finish painted the struts will get welded back in place, bedded and bolted up.

Mask AwlFair Prep.jpg Prep Under Tower Struts.jpg Under Struts Fiberglass.jpg
    cleanslate likes this.
  14. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

looking good. really shows the amount of prep and taping etc that goes into painting. probably as much man hours as the actual painting.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Looks like a broke bonding strap on the rudder post.
    Everything else looks great.
    mapism likes this.
  16. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks CR! I suspect the painter stepped on it. No big deal, we will fix it.
  17. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I would think it's actually even more.
    It takes an experienced and refined touch for a good final painting, but in terms of time the preparation can be more demanding, if done properly.
    As this surely is!

@CR: very well spotted ref. the bonding strap.
    In the same photo, also the rubber bellow doesn't seem in great shape.
    Maybe not to the point of requiring a replacement, but worth checking in flesh.
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I would say it's about 90% prep and 10% is actual applying of paint.

The rubber boot on the steering cylinder is actually fairly new. We replaced the whole system as part of the repower. It is covered in dust from sanding the lazerette for painting.
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I wouldn't have gone as far as that proportion if I should have guessed, but I'm not surprised to hear it.
    Anyway, pretty sure all hours spent in preparation will soon pay off and assure a great final result!

Ref. the rubber boot, I was actually referring more to its ends, rather than the dust.
    It doesn't seem to be well attached at both sides in the photo, but maybe it's not supposed to be?
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I recognize that bellows.
    There are two rods into the ends.
    The Mfg tried to make it look pretty by molding around these rods.
    After the dust gets wiped off the bellows, it may look a lil better but that is about it.
    Just enough to keep some scratches & dust off of the rods.

It is a lil different than our single rod bellows where we zip-tie the ends to the rod and cylinder tube.
    Were not in Kansas anymore Toto.

Was trying to find a few pictures but Dumbetic purchased SeaStar and screwed up their web site also.