Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Pages loading very slow

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by wdrzal, Apr 29, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

My YF pages are loading extremly slow ,anyone else haveing this problem ? :mad:
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Wdrzal,

How about now? Is the problem still occurring?

Anyone else?
  3. V65

V65 Senior Member

Runs fine to me...
  4. YachtForums

V65,

Are you on Firefox or IE? We may have a server related IE problem. Gettin' busy on this now...
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I'm running IE 6.0 on dialup

My bookmark is the main index page. This INITIAL page is veeeerrrrryyyyyy slow to load. However, after that load, the following pages that I click to load normally. Something really odd about entering the site.

Kelly
  6. YachtForums

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the feedback. Same problem here too. It's as if the server is timing out before the page loads completely, leaving the occasional missing postbit or banner. And yes, when you first arrive in IE, it's as if the your machine has to re-cookie all over again. Very slow! I've got some technicians trying to isolate the problem. It appears to be a server issue, but it could also be 100's of other things.

There goes my weekend... :rolleyes:
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Yep, a little slow here too. Initial load-up of the page, and even some banners and ads are taking ages to fill in.
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I have windows XP using IE browser. I have a high speed connection it pretty steady downloading at 976kb, that's actual from the net not just to the server. other forums load in 1 maybe 2 seconds or quicker. Now pages are loading 6 to maybee 10 sec. or more. It's like the cache in my pc isn't working. (but I know it is) The whole page and pictures load from scratch every page. sometimes it's like the download fails and it loads on the second attempt after a 5 sec. pause. Try going to www.pcmech.com the moderator there GLC is brilliant.They fixed every problem I every had.

Good luck, those software gremlins can drive you crazy until you find someone that actualy "knows" why its happening.;)
  9. KCook

KCook Senior Member

New behavior on that initial page. Now the ribbon at the top, THE ONLINE YACHTING MAGAZINE, loads instantly. Followed by the rest of the page as a blue background only. Then suddenly, bam! The entire page shows fully formed. Actual total loading time is now typical, not extra long. But staring at the blue background makes it seem like something is amiss.

Kelly
  10. V65

V65 Senior Member

I'm running Comcast high speed w/ IE... Run's just find unless I'm inebriated:rolleyes: :p

John
  11. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Initial page loading is now back to "normal". Items are seen individually as they load. Overall speed seems slow, but not horribly slow.
  12. YachtForums

Well... it's 3:30 AM and the only thing I've been able to isolate is that our accumulated domlogs for the past 6 months, which are huge, are interfering with Apache. Unfortunately, I can't delete these logs until the end of the month because it will effect other records. Come May 1st, I'll wipe 'em out and start over, but we're going to have a slow YF for the next 48 hours.

*Disclaimer... I could be wrong, but it's so late and I'm so tired, I can't think straight. Going to bed now.
  13. Coenharbour

Coenharbour Senior Member

No problems over here with Safari (2.0.3) :)
  14. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I just clicked to post and it took 11 seconds before any thing at all appeared and another 5 seconds until "done" its just not on the intial page.

Carl I want you to know I'm not complaining just giving you feedback. ;)

The slow load time may deter someone visiting YF of reading or becomming a member.But I sure you relize that,I know I hate to wait for pages to load.

Boy !!!!! How we have become spoiled, having all the information around the world at our finger tips,expected in a instant!!!!!!!!!!!!:) 3 years ago I still could only get dial-up, :rolleyes: and didn't complain,any net was better than no net. :D
  15. YachtForums

Agreed. Page load times are critical. This is why I've been working around the clock to resolve the issue. This whole scenario is compounded by some other factors. YF isn't a typical forum. It's highly customized and VERY graphic intensive. In addition, there's a ton of underlying, proprietary code.

When we launched the new YF, it was optimized for Firefox first, because it is fast becoming the browser of choice. IE still remains the leader because it is pre-packaged with Windows. But, as more people become net-savvy, they eventually make the switch.

If you want a better internet experience, especially when viewing YF... try Firefox. Split-second page loads!
  16. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

I have firefox on another pc. Its not without problems either,agreed it has faster load times for most sites,but some sites are optimized for IE and its add ons and they don't work well with firefox.

Firefox has come a long way in the last few years,It speed was the reason that fueled its growth.All the garbage in IE was cut out.This will be negligated as more and more people get faster computers and high speed access to the internet. As long as IE comes packed with Windows and speed is not a issue,most will just stick with it.So I really look for the growth of firefox to slow.Especially since I think a lot of IE problems are going to be adressed in the next relese of windows.
  17. Sean

Sean New Member

i notice a slow load time on firefox and ie, my connection speed is 8mb and my location is .au still a position where almost every other page on the web loads faster then i can click. perhaps it is a matter of advertising, are the ad's on each side of the "normal" data dynamic?
  18. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I think I did try this one time but had other issues with it. But then I'm not very computer savy