Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

Pacific, Cali to Southern Mexico

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Mike Kas, Feb 13, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mike Kas

Mike Kas New Member

Gentlemen thank you for the useless information :Dand yes I am not ignorant to the countless variables that take place with boating however the information all of you gave is great! I'm guessing olderboater had the hammer down more often then not which is fine by me as I like a bit of speed myself! At least I know what a hot trip will cost me haha. Seriously thanks Guys!
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Or could it be he ran between 12 and 21 knots in a much larger boat with 5790 hp?
  3. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

circling back: fuel in Mexico is more expensive than in the US. You can Google fuel prices in Mx to get the base price and then add the premiums. 1 to 3 dollars per gallon. Turtle is easy in and out but the highest price. I have found Mag Bay to be better but you give up a day to get fuel. The gauging appears to be accurate at the fuel dock in Mag Bay, I always feel shorted at Turtle. Many docks charge a tie up fee which is part of that premium discussed. Some places take credit cards but charge you the processing fee. You get a better exchange rate if you convert dollars to pesos anywhere else than at the fuel dock. Your travelling time will most likely be dictated by hurricane season and insurance. Many policies do not cover during the hurricane season.

I do a fair amount of long range cruising at 8 kts so you can figure 200 nm per day but with say 4 able bodied crew members you get tried after 3 or 4 days at sea and need a layover/break.