Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Our thoughts with all our French brethren

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by olderboater, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Almost getting numb from all the mayhem. School shootings in the US, terrorists killings abroad and 30,000 traffic deaths in the US each year, mostly due to stupidity.
    Need to find me some deserted island in the Bahahas to get away from the evil and the stupid.
    Human life has no value anymore, probably never did.
    Be careful out there.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A+
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There are plenty of Islands for sale in the Bahamas, at all price levels.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you could pick one up, I'll wash your boat for life for a second slip.

Actually, I have a lot/ slip in Leisure Lee. Just cant afford to build on it.
    No building, No utilitys. It will collect dust and flies as it has for many years.

It's expensive to escape. 762x39 (and more) in inventory.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

When I got the message about this I thought it was missing a . in the mix there.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, you are correct.
    7.62x39
  7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I've been a fan of tree houses for years, and often thought of building one on an island somewhere in the world. I considered one in the Bahamas (the old 'Royal Island' that a friend was going to become the caretaker for), but it had no trees near the beachside. And I looked at a couple of islands off the coast of Cuba and Panama, but they had no trees (at least big ones) either.

But I always deferred to the idea that Walt Disney built a big tree house at Disney World (the original Swiss family tree house) out of CONCRETE, and it looked real convincing. So the sky is the limit with possibilities.

(I do realize you likely can NOT built such a tree house on that property you have in Leisure Lee, ha...ha)
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Well, if I sold everything, cashed in retirement accounts and started as a male prostitute, I could possibly afford my own island. :cool:
  9. olderboater

So, you have a plan. :rolleyes:
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We would die of old age waiting for the Bahamian Politico to permit us to build anything.

Oh, I was the Crappy Gigolo. Didn't help

Floating home has it's merits.

Now, If we could just squat on an old oil rig or WWII observer station over warm water.
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, you just gave me an idea..:D
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

You are on....
    Well, in all seriousness, it would be great to get out of big cities and just lay in the sun with no news, no mayhem, no evil people.
    I have been enough to Paris, London, Tokyo and every major town on the planet. Don't need anything except a good woman, a good boat, a good book a good beach and a good bottle of rum.
    No TV, no traffic jams, no taxes, no nothing except the above.
  13. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I thought that after the British government got out of control that a private person could not buy an island any longer?

I've done a bit of research on these as well.
  14. olderboater

Requires a permit which can be obtained.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just purchasing a lot, permits, approvals, more permits just to get an approval, is nerve racking.
    Trying for years to get a checking account there. Submitted security forms and applications to apply for applications.
    The lot and building was a bad idea.
    Fixing to wash my hands of the lot idea and later buy (or lease) a ready made house.

A cruising permit is much cheaper.
  16. olderboater

You're right, it is cheaper. Many celebrities have islands there. For purchases of islands right now, there's generally no problem with permits. Here's why. 10% tax on the purchase. 1.5% of the value tax annually on unimproved property. 1% on owner occupied. 2% on commercial property. Add to that duties on imported materials and equipment. So that's why getting the permit isn't too difficult.

Now, there are some nice islands available off the coast of Florida if a private island is your dream. Well, that and if you have many million to spend on one.

We enjoy looking at all these available islands but definitely do not have buying one in our plans.