Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Our Oceans are Under Attack

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, May 19, 2009.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I've often though that if we spent a small fraction of the money and brain power that we spend on making weapons to kill our fellow man, and put that towards improving mans existence on this planet (like environmental programs, and non-polluting technologies, etc ) we might be better off.

We certainly could go a long way to greatly reducing our wasteful energy practices involving transportation vehicles, and I believe our energy consumption needs,....technologies that are within our grasp very near term, but still dwarfed by our old standby OIL . Even this pursuit of OIL has necessitated huge military spending that takes money and brain power resources way from out other needs.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Absolutely, but consider also where we would have been without the oil..?
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I attend a few military trade shows a year. It is quite sobering to see all the fire power for sale. I see all the high ranking officers from global militaries walking the floor and can't help but wonder why we just can all get along? I then begin to wonder, does the dog wag the tail, or the tail wag the dog. I am getting the feeling that the latter is true, and the tail has names like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, BAE, etc.

http://defensecontractormarketing.com/defense-news-top-100-global-companies-2015/

We have financially incentivized these corporations to grow and proliferate. Mostly staffed by by ex-military generals on the executive levels (or their boards are quite full of them), have to ask why but afraid we already know the answer.
  4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Coral bleaching event now biggest in history – and about to get worse

Coral in every major reef region has already experienced severe bleaching. About 93% of the reefs on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef have been affected, and almost a quarter of the reef on the 2,300km stretch is now dead.

[​IMG]
    The Great Barrier Reef: a catastrophe laid bare

Hawaii and the Florida Keys, which will probably be hit by bleaching in the coming months, have been affected twice already, in mid-2014 and mid-2015. Reefs in the Indian Ocean around the Maldives and Western Australia have suffered severe bleaching, as have those in the rest of the Pacific, the Red Sea and the Caribbean.

Although the bleaching event was already the longest in recorded history and was predicted to run past the middle of the year, Noaa’s latest climate model-based forecasts now suggest it will run at least through to the end of 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...now-biggest-in-history-and-about-to-get-worse