Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Our Navy's Stupid Mistakes

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Apr 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Because although the medals look like gold they are just tin and spray paint
  2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Another case of throwing good money after a bad idea,..
    Zumwalt Ships getting a New Missile System
    https://newatlas.com/military/us-zumwalt-destroyers-first-hypersonic-missiles/

"The problem was that the Zumwalt project was plagued by controversies by the time USS Zumwalt was launched in 2016. Production delays, cost overruns that brought in a price tag per ship of US$8 billion, and the embarrassment of the class ship breaking down in the middle of the Panama Canal, plus questions about its design, resulted in only three out of a planned 32 being built."

BUT Lockheed Martin has such a strangle-hold on Congress that they have talked themsevles into this 2 billion contract.

WHY don't they resurrect the original arsenal ship idea. That was a good one that would smother North Korea's threat,...plus a few other countries.
  3. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

The Navy should have dumped that project when the costs and design got out of control. That strange hold on Congress is called political donations! The military-industrial complex feeds all those DC Alligators.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

This is the problem today, it’s not the Navy but rather Congress and their pet projects. This is how we ended up with POS LCS ships, the Zumwalts and billions literally thrown away trying to modernize old cruisers that will never deploy. All driven by Congress. They’re and endless more examples like this in all areas of Defense.
    leeky likes this.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

And the US is still thin on oilers.
    Pearl oil storage is gone also.
    Our stateside reserves were used up this last fall.

When it gets hot, a surface fleet can not do much without fuel and supplies.
  6. brian eiland

Perhaps the 'surface fleet' has overgrown our future needs?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hummmm.
    I think I understand.
    AND agree.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Future needs depends how far out you are looking. I think it is conceivable that someday war ships may be obsolete entirely. There are many published articles arguing the era of the aircraft carrier being the centerpiece is limited. Without getting into those debates, I think the near-term needs are not being supported by our dwindling fleet size. This is supported by the increasing deployment durations and cycles today. The demand signal is grater than our current fleet can sustainably support. We have lost too may proven vessels and replaced them with the crap we've talked about earlier in the thread. We need more capable platforms. I believe the future Constellation Frigate class will be a much needed and capable addition. They should have been building these in lieu of LCS all along. Our current DDG's remain the workhorse of the fleet and will continue in that role for quite some time.
    leeky likes this.
  9. brian eiland

just remembering,...those beloved Battleships became obsolete....hmmm

but I'll bet there are some congressmen, and military types that would like some to be built.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Correctly, the smart plan would not bring the ole monsters back.
    I'm with ya Bro..
    I'm not sure any flat top would survive any first offensive either.

But before any fire-crackers go off, Would it not be smarter to remove the common denominator?
    Why TF tension is high @ west pacific rim..

Remember; What do you want to do during any hostage situation??
    Remove the most common denominators,, The hostage..

Why does everybody have this hard on to build 80% of the worlds micro chips in Taiwan??
    Move the chip mfg out, China would not care less about another dependent & outcast island then.
    Boats and other junk is already built on the mainland.

OR, build the same chips somewhere else. But remove what ComChi wants.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    ChiTown likes this.
  11. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I've thought for a while with modern weapons systems today, Navy ships are sitting ducks at sea. Last year, a ship sinker bomb was tested in the Gulf of Mexico. It annihilated a ship with one strike. Russia lost its prize warship Moskva last year in the Black Sea to a couple of missiles. Hypersonic missiles are a game changer and they are getting much faster, probably no defense yet.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Taiwan is targeted this year.
    Or soon after.
    The Zum-wad project is still years off from becoming operational (if the boat survives that freaking long) with the hyper plugs.
    Naw, were fraked on the west pacific rim.
  13. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

A new ball game: U.S. defense officials have stated that both existing terrestrial- and space-based sensor architectures are insufficient to detect and track hypersonic weapons; former Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering Mike Griffin has noted that “hypersonic targets are 10 to 20 times dimmer than what the U.S. normally tracks by satellites in geostationary orbit.
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'm a bit more concerned about China enveloping Russia than I am about Taiwan. That's not to say I'm carefree regarding Taiwan. But the older carriers...it would seem that they could be re-deployed for alternative support functions. If nothing else they have a massive pay load, could provide significant tent cities for disaster relief, etc.
  15. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

16. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

From 60 Minutes last night.
  17. David Helsom

David Helsom Member

Watched that last night, very eye opening. In another article, one of the heads of the navy said their main focus was on going green.
  18. leeky

leeky Senior Member

I can't believe that "one of the heads of the navy said their main focus was on going green." The Navy's primary mission isn't to be more environmentally friendly than our enemies; now that would be a stupid mistake. What article did you see that knuckle-head's statement in?
  19. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Military has gone Woke. Saw this morning military has DEI jobs paying about 190k.
  20. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Are you saying that the military is emphasizing your wokeness over "maintain, train and equip combat-ready naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of the seas?"
    Fishtigua likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.