Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Our Navy's Stupid Mistakes

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by brian eiland, Apr 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

My wokeness, you have got to be kidding. Nope, you hear often about the military focused on CRT and now have personnel focused on DEI rather than the important mission to be combat ready, as you just posted. That comes from political pressure.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yes. How dare the Pentagon train soldiers and sailors not to be sexist or racist. That would never happen back in my day. Woke...blah...blah.....o_O
    bayoubud likes this.
  3. leeky

leeky Senior Member

I called it your wokeness because wokeness means different things depending on whether you lean way to the left or way to the right. Right-leaners tend to use woke/wokeness as an insult as well as a dog whistle for other right-leaners. The term "woke" goes back to the 1930's, but it's only in the last decade or so that it's become popular in politics.

Unlike you, I have only rarely heard of DEI (never CRT) being associated with the Navy. I don't think the Navy's attention to it is causing a major disruption to its mission capabilities any more than Navy chaplains do. Chaplains and DEI personnel serve a useful purpose--just ask one of the rape victims at the military academies.

If you have sources that state or even hint that DEI personnel have caused a reduction in any way of combat readiness, I would sure like to be directed to them.
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

This is an actual US navy training video:

Please expound upon how this is making your navy a better combat force.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I had to stop that before I blew up.
    I am so embarrassed that this has any value in our service.
    bayoubud likes this.
  6. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Its intent has nothing to do with combat, so it won't make the Navy a better combat force. I guess it could make us less offensive to any prisoners we take.:D
    bayoubud likes this.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

POWs we take??
    We can't identify or gather the enemy within our own boarders. These two to start.
    US Navy, Combat Force? Another great question.
  8. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Actually, I just learned about DEI. I looked it up for meaning and it is to add seats at the table, just another quota system. These efforts are not there to put the qualified personnel in a particular job.
    Kevin, thanks for that video. Someone hit the reset button! :eek:
  9. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

END OF AN ERA

The end of an era Saturday, at Fincantieri Marinette Marine.

The final littoral combat ship built at the shipyard was launched and christened.

It was the last planned side-launch of a ship at the marine.

The future USS Cleveland (LCS 31), a Freedom-variant littoral combat ship, is the 16th and final Freedom-variant LCS.

Robyn Modly, wife of former Acting Secretary of the Navy and Cleveland native, Thomas Modly, christened the ship.

“A side launch, like you saw behind you, is the way that human beings have been launching ships literally for millennia, it was the first way a large vessel could be launched… but for the building of a modern warship that leaves quite a bit to be desired,” says Fincantieri CEO, Mark Vandroff.

Fincantieri is now working on a new launch for the frigates, which are the next generation of ships following the littoral combat ships.

“We are very pleased that the Navy chose us to build the frigate I think those are great ships, the one they chose for us is based on a frigate designed for various European Navy’s,” says Vandroff.

And in doing so, they are working on constructing a new launch.

“The shiplift that you can see behind me is under construction, we are making great progress on it, I expect to have it done and certified before the end of 2023,” says Vandroff.

The first frigate is expected to be launched and christened in 2025, and completely finished in 2026.

Although it is in the water, the future USS Cleveland is not quite finished.

“As the ship is launched, production completion is about 85% so we’ve got more work to do and we have to go to test and trials,” says Program Director at Lockheed Martin, Chris Minster.

Vandroff says it was truly all hands on deck to get the future USS Cleveland in the water.

“It was a million hours of effort…I’ve got roughly 1,400 if you count both blue collar and white collar employees who come here everyday,” says Vandroff.

And Marinette Marine needs even more employees for the frigate.

It has already added 200 employees, and is looking for another 200.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Tax dollars at waist.

U.S. Navy Decommissions 5-Year-Old Littoral Combat Ship USS Sioux City

Mike Schuler

August 15, 2023

The U.S. Navy decommissioned the littoral combat ship (LCS) USS Sioux City (LCS 11) on Monday after less than five years in service.

The Freedom-variant LCS was built by Fincantieri Marinette Marine in Marinette, Wisconsin, and commissioned November 17, 2018, at the Naval Academy in Annapolis.

“Though our ship’s service ends today, her legacy does not. For years to come the Sailors who served onboard will carry forth lessons learned and career experiences gained,” said Capt. Daniel Reiher, Commander, Littoral Combat Ship Training Facility Atlantic. “As those lessons and experiences are used to forge those that follow us, the legacy of SIOUX CITY will strengthen our Navy for generations to come.”

Sioux City completed four deployments in December 2020, July 2021, December 2021 and October 2022. It is known for being the first LCS to operate in U.S. Fifth and Sixth fleets across the Atlantic where they participated in counter drug trafficking operations with the U.S. Coast Guard. It was also the first United States Navy Warship named after the city of Sioux City, Iowa.

The LCS program was split across the two variants, including steel-hulled Freedom-class built by Lockheed Martin at Fincantieri Marinette Marine (odd-numbered) and General Dynamics’ aluminum-hulled Independence-class (even-numbered) trimarans built by Austal USA.

Sioux City becomes the fourth LCS to be decommissioned, following the lead Freedom-class ship, Freedom (LCS-1), and the first two Independence-class ships, Independence (LCS-2) and Coronado (LCS-4).

The U.S. Navy plans to scrap nine of a total 16 Freedom-class LCS well short of their planned service lives in order to save a projected $4.3 billion in upgrades and maintenance.

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Thank goodness they are now accepting the failures.
  12. brian eiland

Interesting how these Ukrainian sea drones are becoming effective against Russian assets,...and at a GREATLY reduced cost !!
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If they were accepting the failures, people would be fired and out of work by now,, if run by a better business.
    These meatheads just lay it down and move on to exploit more cash on some other bon(bank) fire.
    I wonder how many civilians were queried on these projects?
    I wonder how many with a clue were queried on these projects?
    I wonder how many s'posed smart people anywhere were queried on these projects?
  14. leeky

leeky Senior Member

You're not specific about who you are blaming, but it sounds like you are blaming the Navy -- again. Here's what I wrote back on May 13, 2022:
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I wish we could fire him and successors that allowed this mess.
    Jail would be more fitting even starting with McNamara.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh Sheet, I've done it again.
    sorry_smiley_20150321_1500256250_c33646972fa7e3a8d9fe3eb86cc9016c1150a4e3.png
    Brought up history that may offend somebody.
  17. brian eiland

I think you have to understand the tremendous influence of the lobby network that Lockheed Martin has with the defense industry of the USA. After all why would their headquarters be located in Bethesda MD,...a suburb of Wash DC .
    And why would they be SO WILLING to hire all the government types and military types retiring from their defense related jobs,...the revolving door approach.
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Any defense contractor of any size engages in lobbying efforts. The bigger they are the more lobbying and influential they become. This is but one part of a broken system. Add to this our Congressional Reps that are more interested in bringing jobs and $$ to their districts than in providing what our Military really needs and wants. Then we have a Dept or Defense that changes leadership and strategic direction every time the White House and/or Congress flips . And let’s not forget our Generals and Admirals that are often more concerned with getting to their pensions and Board seats and won’t do anything that might upset the apple cart.

In addition to a broken system we have ever-changing and evolving potential enemies and threats. Look at how things are different today just from what’s happening in Ukraine. There was a heavy cruiser nearly sunk by a shoulder fired missile from shore. Now we have sea drones causing major damage to ships not to mention the land based attacks from drones. And many countries have developed hypersonic missiles capable of reaching nearly anywhere within minutes. This is just the stuff we know about!

Uy Vey! Lord help us if we ever see a a full blown conflict with any enemy of means and substance.
  19. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Most of the government and military types that are hired by Lockheed Martin and other contractors are hired for what they know and not who they know.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, they know who is in bed with who and who else gives the best **** job.
    Job and retirement security.

A retiring general is not technical.
    Everybody knows how DC works.
    The tech brains are not in DC.

Their first job is completed in guiding work orders toward their retirement company.
    What they know, ensures they get what what was promised by LM, or retirement company.

On the other hand, DOJ does not seem to care much about this stuff these days.
    Could LM and others cut their retirement (pay-off) funds and get away with it?
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.