Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno

? OUPV (six pack) License limits ??

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Sea Square, Jul 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Legally you can run a recreational 50' with any number of non paying passengers the vessel can safely carry and it is legal.

the OUPV passenger limit refers to a commercial vessel carrying paying cargo or passengers
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Now that's the way to answer a question.:D In fact you need no license at all.
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I think Sea Square is way ahead of you Cap ...

"... and he actually could have asked any unlicensed person to operate this boat."
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If your going to quote please do it accurately. That was a ? at the end of his sentence, not a period. If he's ahead of me that's a wonderful thing. I celebrate his success. Unlike some, I don't consider myself to be the standard that must be matched but never can. Just a guy who found a path that works for him. I learn enough each day to keep me content. I do my job well enough to leave others better off than I found them. I treat others well enough to make me happy with the person I see in the mirror. I give my best effort. For those it pleases I'm happy. The rest can KMA because they don't set the standard by which I live. Once again, Sorry I don't live up to your ideal.
  5. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Chill out, you guys. You sound like a bunch of cranky old women. The guy asked a question and you jumped all over him. Don't turn this into a forum where everyone insults everyone else. The good thing about YF has always been that there was useful information shared. Have your coffee and play nice.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Geez Cap, did you sleep through your English classes as well as the CFR reviews?

I quoted the co-ordinate clause "... he actually could have asked any unlicensed person to operate this boat." It is a clause that could stand on its own. It is unrelated to the leading clause "Would there be a passenger guest limit ...?"

Just like the CFRs, this stuff isn't just nonsense. If you drive a boat, to do it well you have to know what the rules are. If you write, you should know what words mean and how to string them together .... accurately.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's all good fun.;) :D BTW, make mine a Coke.
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

His question was answered in the first reply, along with hints as to the reasons and the official source for legal information.

Except for Pascal, the following posts trashed the owner, belittled the experience of someone whom none of us here know anything whatsoever about, and exposed the lack of knowledge of one who very quickly belittled the OP based only on his license level.

Is that the kind of useful information you prefer on these pages?
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah the things you assume without being privy to all the facts. It must be wonderful being you. I hope I can be a Marmot when I grow up.:D
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I really don't feel like arguing with you ad nauseum since you won't even stick to the topic but will make one final comment regarding what has been assumed.

It was you who assumed that the OP had no experience beyond a 30 footer. It is you who assumed, as well as claimed, the owner is a fool for not dealing with someone of your often highly self-touted and self proclaimed grandeur of not just one or two but FIVE renewals.

You are the one who assumed that the 6 pack couldn't operate a 100 ton vessel. You are the one who assumed my quote was inaccurate. All the assumptions on this thread are yours Cap. It is your readiness to assume things you so proudly choose not to know that has led to my comments regarding your sad lack of knowledge of the vocation you proclaim to have mastered.

Read the thread again Cap. You have missed quite a bit of it.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually, I know exactly what his experience is and know that he is no fool. In fact I know him to be a good boat handler. And I didn't assume anything about the tonnage limit of an OUPV. Gave it no thought whatsoever since it has no relevance to me. You may have missed my thanking Pascal as you also seem to have missed Capt.J's succinct answer to the OP's question. Additionally, I have never proclaimed to have mastered my vocation, but instead said I'm pretty good (not perfect) at what I do and enjoy learning new things each day. So, thank you very much for your interest in my life and concern for my professional well being and career path.
  12. cabobo09

cabobo09 Member

Where is Henning when we need him to sort out you guys!

Enough is enough
  13. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Hey, c'mon, watch the language:D
  14. Capt B

Capt B New Member

skipper marmot has a very high sense of self worth here....Ive seen his type before, keyboard commando's.

"Sit down and relax francis"