Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta

? OUPV (six pack) License limits ??

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Sea Square, Jul 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sea Square

Sea Square New Member

I am an OUPV normally operating less than 30' vessels but recently had an owner of a 50' request I take his boat and guests. Would there be a passenger guest limit since this is not my vessel and he actually could have asked any unlicensed person to operate this boat ? Unlimited passengers since I am not the guests charter ? Thanks in advance for opinions or any fine print that defines regulations in this circumstance.

SS
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

When you studied the CFRs to prepare for taking the test to obtain your license did you seen any reference to the length of boat you could operate?

If you are hired to operate this boat and the owner receives any form of compensaton from the people who ride on it, what is the common nickame for an OUPV license?

Is there some reason you don't want to call the local USCG marine safety office and ask them?
  3. Sea Square

Sea Square New Member

No, I don't recall any length limits honestly. The passengers will be guests for pleasure, not paying customers. And frankly, it never occurred to me to attempt to contact USCG safety office. We have a CG base not to far away and I have spoken to a few USCG personnel but they are not clear on these regs ( they imply that anyone can operate anything, just wondering if it is different once you have the shingle).
    I would imagine the safety office is in NYC and not nearly as easy as getting info on the net. Thanks.

Just tried finding info @ the http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=ae63e8c8b8556b036cfde87e4a7bb8de&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.10&idno=46#46:1.0.1.2.10.1.7.5 to no avail.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Someone would hire a 6 packer to run his 50 with guests? Are you sure you even want to run for a guy who would do that? If you were qualified to run that boat you would have tonnage. Obviously he's looking to get someone cheap. Such a person will certainly hold you responsible for any damage or injuries to the passengers whether you cause it or not. Think long and hard before you do this.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

my concern woudlnt' be the license itself (an oupv is good to 100GT) but the lack of experience over 30'. it's a different ball game and you cant' get away with small boat stuff on a 50' boat. I also wonder if the insurer will accept such a big jump in size.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Can you explain that further. I've always considered a OUPV one step above launch operator and one step below 25GT. How do you mean this statement? It sounds like you're saying it's equal to a 100GT.
    I would think an insurer will consider it as having no captain at all.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Good grief ... NYCAP, do you know what the U in OUPV stands for? And do you know what the difference between an Operator and a Master is in
    CG speak? Don't you know what it means to have a COI and how that relates to the number of passengers carried? How many issues of that ticket did you say you have?
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

5 and yes I do, but do you think the OP does or many of the other readers of this thread? In your reply to the OP you managed to belittle him rather than simply answer his question. Do you think anyone with a OUPV knows anything about the CFRs other than what they need to get the ticket or just enough to get themselves into trouble. Obviously this is not his career. He's a guy looking to draw on our experience to help keep him out of trouble while he dabbles in his dream. Maybe in 20 years he'll know what I know, but I doubt he'll know what you know unless you help him.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

you're confusing OUPV and Master... the OUPV only comes in one size: 100GT. It allows running boats carrying no more than 6 paying passengers and up to 100GT.

The basic 100GT master comes in 3 flavors: 25, 50 and 100 depending on experience and allows carrying over 6 paying passengers and up to ticket limit (25/50/100)

so, someone with an OUPV can take up to 6 pax on a boat under 100GT, but a 25T Master can only take more than 6 pax on a vessel up to 25GT, a 100T master can take any number of passengers on a boat up to 100GT, as long as the vessel is inspected and the number of passengers falls within the limits of the vessel certificate of inspection.

but again, unless the OUPV has experience on larger boats, good luck getting insurance coverage to take 6 pax on a 99GT boat!
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

So how come with 5 renewals you unashamedly stated in writing on a public forum that you didn't have a clue what the difference between an OUPV and a Master is?

I hope it doesn't take him that long to understand what Pascal just explained so clearly. And please, I've got the same deck license as you do but figure knowing the privileges and limitations associated with it is part of the responsibility that comes with holding it. Expecting that much from others is not unreasonable.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thank you for that Pascal. Of course it makes perfect sense, but I had never heard tonnage associated with a 6 pack since it's usually just a guy doing fishing charters on his own boat. Then again, I never spent much time looking into tonnage limits for 6 packs. Now I'm stuck with an image of someone telling his insurance company he's going to buy a 90 footer and do charters with his OUPV. I can see it happening.:eek: Seems like a big, dangerous loophole.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Some of us spend our lives with our noses in books, some spend it running boats having enough knowledge to safely make our living ON the water for 20+ years and knowing where to find what may come up once in a blue moon. Some of us just aren't smart enough to keep chapter and verse of every regulation and statistic, etc., that may never be relevant to them, locked in our heads. Sorry.
    And what exactly do I need to know about an OUPV other than that he can't be master of an inspected passenger vessel, nor carry more than 6 passengers for hire and that I would never hire one?
    Nobody is required to live up to your standards nor mine unless they work for or under us. We don't make nor enforce the rules. We are the ones with the obligation (and it's only a moral one) to help others get more educated.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I just find it amazing that someone could work in an industry for 25 years and not know or be interested enough in its history, regulations and processes to have not looked up such a fundamental at some point. Having an intimate knowledge of the limitations and privileges of the license one holds is the only way to make the most of the work that went into obtaining it. It isn't just some dillitante exercise, it's what professionals do. They know how the system within which they make a living works and what boundaries define their own limitations.

The argument that knowing how the system works is exclusive of knowing how to make a living in that system is rustic nonsense. I haven't posted, nor have I read, any chapter or verse in this thread, all I have read is Pascal explaining what you admitted to having missed in the process of 5 renewals and an OUPV holder who didn't know he didn't know.

You might not like the idea that I would challenge someone to find the answer in resources he has a responsibility to know how to use rather than just regurgitate the chapter and verse, but the only way to learn that stuff is to know the regulations the CG will use to hang you when you get it wrong. The fact that even the CG doesn't get it right means you had **** well know what you are doing and be able to defend your actions. The best defence of your license and your income is to know what you can and cannot do. If you think that is too lofty a standard then all I can ask is that you not promote that standard to others.

I bet there are a couple of ATPs reading this who will tell you that they saved their butt once or twice because they had a very intimate working knowledge of the minutia of the regulations concerning how they operate in the ATC environment, particularly in IMC.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What relevance to my life is the knowledge that a license I have no dealings with has a tonnage limit that will doubtfully ever be utilized. I'll leave that to the insurance guys, the people with that license and those charged with enforcing the regs. To me it's an interesting piece of trivia which I thanked Pascal for passing on. It's now filed with the rest of the useless (to my life) trivia that comes popping out while watching Jeopardy and amuses my wife. As to the rest of what you say here I'll learn the details of what I need to know to protect myself when I find I need protecting. Beyond that I just need to know what I can and can't do and how to do what I do well; not what regulation says it or how it's worded. All I really need to know in that regard is the number of a very good lawyer. He'll keep things rolling while I come up to speed on what I need, should the need arise.
  15. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"There are none so blind ..."

Call me a hopeless romantic or something worse but I just can't understand how anyone could spend a quarter of a century doing a job they don't care enough about that they wouldn't want to learn every little detail and aspect of it and those who share it.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's not true. I managed a 63' Ocean SF where the owner ran it himself, and all over. The boat had been to the Panama Canal and back. The insurance company had no problems covering the owner who only had a 6 pack because he kept trading up 10' at a time and had been a boater for decades. I also once knew a Captain that ran a 65' MY for an owner and his 58SF with only a 6 pack back around 2000, but he had decades of experience also. So a lot of times experience will supercede licensing.

But this poster has neither a 100 ton or the proper experience to run a 50'.
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Sea Square wrote that he "normally operated" a 30 footer. That doesn't mean he hasn't had 25 years of operating much larger vessels. He might have driven 100 foot inland tugboats until a few years ago. His question was only about the legality of the number of guests in respect to the license he currently holds.

He can speak in his own defense but it is a bit presumptuous to claim he lacks certain boat handling skills or experience just because he doesn't know how he stands with regard to his license. After all, there are masters on here with 25 years of experience who don't know the difference between the manning requirements of inspected and uninspected vessels.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sorry I don't live up to your ideal, but somehow the way I've handled my life and my profession has worked very well for me and the people and vessels I've taken care of. In fact on occasion I've even been able to impress the only person that it matters to me that I impress.
  19. Sea Square

Sea Square New Member

I have really enjoyed the spirited discussion here, (not much different from the muscle car sites). I thank everyone for their contribution and the eventual answer to my questions.
    Certainly I would not take out a vessel I could not handle. Rather than go into my life story first, I thought my questions were specific enough for a clear answer.
    I have plenty of time on the water, even in the instructor capacity, yes, with no license. I only obtained the OUPV because I thought it would give my boating business more credibility in marketing. It turns out what I have been doing for 25+ years dropped with the economy at the same time as I get my license.
    So, after very little work in "teach the new boat owner category" (yes Doctors and Lawyers do start boating at 40 yrs old in a 30 footer) I decided to make myself available again for other work. So my question should have been has limitations or legal liabilities changed now because of the paper?

I hope this doesn't throw gas on the fire, but even if I don't learn anything here, it IS entertaining. Thanks again!!
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yes. You'll now be held to a professional standard. Don't make mistakes.