Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Lurssen Click for Mag Bay List Your Boat

Original Midnight Lace info...

Discussion in 'Midnight Lace Yacht' started by meblom, Jun 27, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Laurent91

Laurent91 New Member

I will post some... Promises...

Attached Files:

2. Laurent91

Laurent91 New Member

The transom has been totally rebuilt and is now waiting warmer weather to paint the name and do the final coats. the marks you see is sun going through holes in the tarp… I'm looking to rebuild a new swim platform with SS structure and teck on top. If someone has ideas on the SS structure...
    The electrical cabinet is ready to be rewired and will be soon, all materials and equipments are brand new.
    The V-birth, as said, is totally stripped out and will be fiber glassed, epoxyed before rebuilding with new material while keeping the original doors. Also, will be totally rewired
  3. Laurent91

Laurent91 New Member

The project continues with all the plumbing done, all pipes and hoses replaced, hot water, cold water, vents, diesel... Tomorrow we'll replace all the AC hoses... 3 main tanks repainted (diesel and water)... Electrical rewiring will start this week, all new cables, nothing from former wiring left... What a work!!! Incredible what people can add over time but never remove the old cables...
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Luv the text. Lust pictures. :D:D:D
    If you and you crew are getting anything done, Please send pictures.
    This skank Beer syndrome (Corona) has the world really messed up and Some of us need some relief and distraction.
    I'll send a bar of soap for every 50 refit pictures of your ship.
  5. Bill Watson

Bill Watson New Member

I just stumbled across this Forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I was the proud Owner/Caretaker of GRAND TOUR. And the sailing dink for her was NICKLE TOUR. I bought her in Florida and had her trucked up to Connecticut in 2000. We cruised Long Island Sound for several years on the CT shoreline and LI shore. When all the traditionally designed hulls were throwing white water and spilling all contents out of their cabinets, GRAND TOUR would just "slice and squish" and I would call it. We could leave empty coffee cups on the Galley countertop and they would still be there when we arrived. We then motored her down to Florida in 2002 (Stuart/Palm City), stopping at the Midnight Lace Rendezvous in St. Michaels on the way. Our transom pic is on that infamous poster that I still proudly hang in my office. I became a Yacht Broker in FL and sold several Midnight Laces over the years, including my own (sadly). She became too much work and cost to maintain and to develop my business at the same time. And I sold her in early 2009; need I say more?
    P0006091.JPG
  6. Laurent91

Laurent91 New Member

Hi Bill, great to hear from you and thanks again for all the great pictures you sent me. As you see, we are working hard to give her a new life. Nothing is/will be left, she is almost entirely stripped out, to the fiberglass. I have finished to replace all the A/C hoses today. The new galley furnitures are progressing well. Certainly 1 more year before having her back in the water... While we want to keep the magic of a Lace and respect Tom's spirit, we also want to use new materials and technologies for her 2nd life, hope Tom would have loved what we are doing here
  7. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Good Evening Bill, I am glad you have joined YF, as I think you will get a lot out of it, and you have a lot to contribute.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  8. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

Hello, I am new to the Yacht Forum posting and looking at the 52' Midnight Lace "Midnight Fancy" for sale in Indian Harbour Beach, Florida. The broker has pics of repairs from a few years back in the underside hull around the struts where a survey ordered by a previous buyer who ended up taking a pass on this boat- survey found problems on moisture metering. Broker is sure both the cored hull and the repair was a balso core- not airex. Does any Midnight lace/Tom Fexas aficionado know how is this possible? I thought Tom Fexas's concepts involved using an Airex core-and very close attention to the construction tolerances and resin ratios. Any advice on this boat would be hugely appreciated. This Midnight Lace has quite a bit of gelcoat problem spots on the top sides that are going to require a total repaint. Thanks!
  9. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

Hi Bill, Do you think the Midnight Lace "Midnight Fancy" currently for sale in Indian Harbour Beach is a boat you might have owned/sold?
  10. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I think all Midnight Laces are Airex.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  11. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

I agree with you. I've never come across any research evidence of a balsa cored Midnight lace. Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. If the yard made these repairs with balsa core do you think that matters any?
  12. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

There's one for sale on Clear Lake, TX. Little Yacht Brokerage. No connection, our boat is right across from the Midnight Lace.
  13. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

Hi Bob, That one across from you is very unique. The only white-hulled Midnight lace I've ever seen.
  14. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

Hello all, I was hoping to get some opinions on a 52' Midnight lace for cruising Florida and Bahamas waters.
  15. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

Beautiful Lace pic. I looked at one for sale recently in Indian Harbour Beach, FL that looks very similar to your boat. It does not have front salon windows either. Do you think they were removed/glassed over at some point, or were some 52' models built with -and some without front windows?
  16. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

Hello, I'm wondering about the windows on your boat. Did you have to replace them? I'm looking at one in Florida that has cracks in the windows and was also resealed at some point but some water had come into the boat and slightly damaged the teak as well. Can we see some more pics of your restoration?
  17. Farmertan

Farmertan New Member

Hi, Does anyone have any more info. on the Midnight Lace 52’ in Indian Harbour?
    Thanks, Jack
  18. Chasingjack

Chasingjack New Member

I spent a few hours looking her over in person and my impression was that the only thing wrong with this Lace besides needing a new electronics package was the signs of osmosis and hydrolysis in the hull and topsides, below and above the waterline. The Bad: There is blistering and cracking gelcoat in all the right and wrong places all over this boat. I think it is slowly imbibing water like a sponge but probably not structural integrity compromised. I anticipated her requiring haul out for extended time to dry out, then peeled, ground, filled, sanded and re-gel-coated or painted everything-decks, hull, superstructure, mast. Exterior teak trim and toe rails have rot. Not a quick fix but anything and everything can be repaired right? The Good: The interior was properly redone, and the replacement engines and mechanics are all very good. Now she needs plastic surgery and will be the belle of the ball.
  19. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

I don't see the Indian Hrbr. Lace listed anymore, somebody must have picked it up.
  20. Bill Watson

Bill Watson New Member

No, I only sold one 52' Midnight Lace which went up to the North West of the US a while back.