Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Opinions on handheld VHF marine radios

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Natalie, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Before making an investment in several handheld VHF alkaline option and GPS, may I impose upon some captains for opinions and specific models? Conflicting reviews are on 'net. Much thanks
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Vhf

I use the compact Icom M88 aboard our boat. The entire crew use them all day, every day and they are fantastic.
    I've had mine for about 6 years without a hiccup.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

One of the best new products at the Miami Boat Show in 2004 was a VHF/GPS, full-mapping handheld from Uniden called the Mystic. It features Magellan's GPS technology that is compatible with Magellan's "Blue Nav" charting software. Essentially, it has a full screen mapping GPS with a built-in handheld VHF! It's W.A.A.S. enabled, has a back-lit display (including keypad), and switchable between 1 watt / 5 watt mode (to save battery life). In addition, it features DSC (Digital Selective Calling), which allows users to map the position of other vessels with DSC capability. Accessories include a drop in charger with data port, Mapsend CD and AC/DC adapters.

One of the radios best features is... it's submersible and comes with a 3 year water protection warranty. It carries an MSRP of $699, but I've been quoted street prices well under $500. I've been using this radio for 3 years and would highly recommend it.

Attached Files:

4. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Thank you both very much!

Wonderful! The ICOMs sound great for our LI Sound fishing crew (use & abuse). Having both GPS and VHF that WORK is great. Garmin still hasn't provided reason why they discontinued VHF and 'dual' product lines. Thank you for taking the time to advise. Best, Natalie

next: searching for sailboat repellant
  5. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Just my two cents.
    I have used Uniden, Icom and simrad and they are all good. Most of the boats that i have worked on or have done work on has Icom Radios.
    good luck with the decision
  6. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Uniden also discontinued

Just checked in at Uniden and their combo is discontinued also. ICOM is may have to be, but backup GPS would be handy. Thank you, Graham!
  7. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Icom M34 seems to be getting lots of press, and it floats.
    I have an Icom M72. Easy to handle and shaped like hourglass so it fits in palm nicely. Can also repel water off the speaker (haven't needed to do that yet).
    Whatever you go with, check accessories, like remote mike/speaker, large battery, car adapter, adapter for antenna so you can hook in boat antenna for some extra range (good if your boat radio goes out).
  8. Natalie

Natalie New Member

Thank you all! Decided on the ICOM M34 -- West Marine at my harbor has it for under $150 with a port supply discount and then a $10 rebate. Not a bid deal when purchasining one, but for several it helped to have your advice in advance. Happy seas!