Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Oops--Yacht Gets Dropped!

Discussion in 'Yacht Transport Ships' started by SSpray, Sep 28, 2006.

1. SSpray

SSpray New Member

http://www.local10.com/news/9948836/detail.html

PORT EVERGLADES, Fla. -- Officials are trying to figure out how a cabin cruiser worth half a million dollars was dropped while being unloaded from a freighter.

The yacht was being hoisted off the freighter and into the water at Port Everglades Wednesday afternoon when it suddenly fell, landing on a dock.

Investigators are trying to determine if the incident was caused by operator error or a mechanical malfunction in the crane.
    Click here to find out more!

The damage to the 50-foot cabin cruiser is still being determined. There is no word yet on who the yacht belongs to.

Investigators did say that there was no evidence of any criminal intent in the incident. No injuries were reported.
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well, that under water hull must be totalled. From far her superstructure still looks to be in good shape....but you never know...distance plays alot of tricks on the eyes.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

That's why I like the float-on, float-off concept used by Dockwise. I'm working on a story about Dockwise, will be visiting in about a week when another ship comes in. Look for it in the November issue of The Triton.
    FYI, see the story of shadow boats in the October issue, from yours truly.
    Capt Tom
  4. nas130

nas130 Member

I wonder why it did not land in the water? I would figure if they were unloading it they would be booming it over the water side and not the dock.

nas
  5. A have been around a number of unloadings. Often the boat is on a cradle without enough room for the props to be on. It also prevents damage to the props and reduces the cubic footage for shipping costs. It is moved to land then splashed after the props are put on.
    Dockwise sure is safer but their schedule is limited compared to the thousands of sailings carrying deck cargo.
    I had a 47' motor yacht dropped at Elizabeth City one time. The riggers said the slings did not need to be tied together and the bow slipped out as it was going in the water, came down on the dock side..ouch...Insurance paid for repairs but it was a brand new boat.
    I have ridden from the deck of the ship into the water on a yacht being inloaded, very weird sensation and very fast movement.
    Tucker Fallon
    Tucker Fallon
  6. techmati

techmati Senior Member

Dockwise is safer but it is expensive for the small yachts. For any ship occasionally there will be a screw up whenever cranes are used, whatever the cargo.
  7. asorum

asorum New Member

Dockwise

We have been trying to talk Dockwise into a sailing to Prince William Sound. They started service to Ketchikan and it looks like a great idea. Most yachts don't visit our region because of the crossing of the Gulf of Alaska. Dockwise would eliminate that problem.
  8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Asorum,
    I had the benefit of spending a day recently with Dockwise for research of an upcoming article in The Triton newspaper. Those guys have their act together. I watched the entire process from submerging the ship, float off, sail ins and refloating. I'll have more details in the story.
    Capt Tom

PS BTW, I saw that yacht that got dropped. Cracked the hull clean through at the bow, around the thruster. Also compressed the starboard rudder a bit. I have a few pics, but will see if I can post.
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Here are a few pics of the one that dropped.

Attached Files:

10. CatalinaDYT

CatalinaDYT New Member

Haaahaaaaaa....

Sorry, but I have to laugh about this. Funny you should mention this incident as we were present (3 carriers within one week) in Port Everglades when this happened and I saw this trawler with my own eyes, abandoned on the docks. That is reason alone to transport your yacht by Dockwise.

Thanks, Capt. Tom for being such a great advocate for DYT! (and I know you are just being HONEST - I wouldn't have it any other way).

CatalinaDYT
  11. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hello Catalina,
    Glad to see you have signed onto YF. Lots of good stuff going on here, and the Dockwise name gets bantered around once in a while.
    I am sometimes a "doubting Thomas" but I do have to admit, that your process of floating on yachts is really cool, and I had to see it to believe it. For those who want an objective viewpoint, you can see the story I wrote about Dockwise for The Triton, on Dockwise's website under News>Magazine Articles.
    Don't forget Cat, I want the scoop when the new vessel arrives. LoL
    Capt Tom
  12. CatalinaDYT

CatalinaDYT New Member

I'll make sure to keep you in the loop. Call me next week to discuss Sea.

Ciao for now, and...

HAPPY SAILING!

Cat^..^