Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

ONAN vs Kohler

Discussion in 'Generators' started by comship, Apr 7, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. comship

comship Senior Member

Whats your opinion and experience from both manufacturers? Recently I heard that Onan is much more reliable than Kohler which have many electronic problems
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It may depend on the size since they are based on different engines. I have had a 16 kW Kohler that was very reliable and above all, silent.
  3. comship

comship Senior Member

We are intending to install 2 x 40kW plus 1 x 22.5 kW
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Have a look at Northen Lights as well. We had a couple of 33 kW that was working very well and when spares was needed (failing starters) they were delivered swift to where we were. Service is always good to consider.
  5. comship

comship Senior Member

The Engine Room is very small to house 2 Northern Lights 40 kW and 1 22.5 kW. If I had the space no question I would install Northern Lights
  6. comship

comship Senior Member

On the other hand onan use Cummins Engine and Kohler John Deer
  7. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, some Kohler gensets use Yanmar engines... at least thats what my captain told me iirc...
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, the Kohler I had was a Yanmar and the Northern Lights were John Deere.
  9. comship

comship Senior Member

Maybe I am wrong but anyway I heard that the new models of Kohler are having many electronic problems
  10. RVN-BR

RVN-BR Senior Member

I have owned a few and havent heard and/or experienced what you report... I might have been lucky (knock on wood)...
  11. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Kohler uses Yanmar up to 27 Kva gensets and above that they use John Deere engines.

I have used 3 different gensets in the last 9 years and did not face any electronic problems at all, although using them at low rpm's (low loads) causes accumulation of residue, which ends up with unburned fuel at the exhaust discharge. However, I reckon this is a common problem for all diesel genset and engines.
  12. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

The last Onan 18 I rebuilt was a Kubota diesel..I believe that most of the Onans up to 'some' larger size have Kubota engiens. I have found little to no difference between Kubota and Yanmar as far as the engines go, frankly. Both are good engines overall and very similar in every respect. As for the electrical/electronic side of any genset..I can't speak to that since I don't know enough about them.

And I was under the impression that all of John-Deere-label diesel engines up to about 25 or 30 kw were Yanmar's regardless of whether it was a lawn tractor or a marine application. But I could be wrong, of course...:)
  13. comship

comship Senior Member

Thanks a lot guys for your kind assistance
  14. nilo

nilo Senior Member

I have noted, I've missed stating that "I have used 3 different KOHLER genset"