Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for Furuno

Onan MDKAE 3376938 Tappet settings

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Tom H, Apr 8, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tom H

Tom H New Member

This generator uses a 4 cylinder Kubota engine. Does anybody out there know the tappet setting clearances and setting process sequence. I'd also like the injector torque settings. Can't get any assistance from my local Onan dealer.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I usally set up the valves at a tight .0008 inches. Seems the spec is just a bit tighter.

Valve clearance Cold; 0.145 to 0.185 mm (0.0057 to 0.0072 in.).

Nozzle holder and nut, dry; 58.8 to 78.5 N-m, 6.0 to 8.0 kgf-m (43.4 to 57.9 ft-lbs).
  3. Tom H

Tom H New Member

Is ther any special sequence?

Thanks for the info. Is there any special sequence for setting the tappets in regards to cylinder firing order etc?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is a procedure in bringing the crank to #4TDC, doing some valves, then turning 360 to TDC and doing the other valves. I never could remember the pattern and never really trusted it.
    I do it the old fashioned way. Start on any cylinder you want but keep track of them, on paper or in your head. If one valve (intake) is all the way down, then you know the next valve (exhaust) is closed. Adjust that closed valve. Bar the crank over until you see any next valve full open, then adjust it's partner valve. Your only turning the crank 1/4 turn till a next valve is full open. In two (crank) turns, your done.
    My father does it a different way also. I'm sure there are more ways.
    If you understand how the Cam & valve train works, just think you want to ajust a valve with the lifter far away from it's cam lobe. Either the piston at compression TDC (My fathers procedure) or the mate valve wide open.

If your writing your sequence down, you will see a pattern. Keep that in your manual with notes how tight/loose any valve may have felt before adjustment.