Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Onan generator problems

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Madr, Apr 2, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Madr

Madr New Member

I have a 2001 Onan 17KW MDKAD generator. It has 3800 hours. At some point someone cut the engine overheat sensor and the exhaust overheat censor. The generator overheated. I had the gaskets in the fuel injection pump replaced and the generator reserviced with coolant. I also had the engine overheat sensor and the engine exhaust overheat sensor replaced and reconnected. The generator ran normally for about 15 minutes. Then it automatically shut down and was dead as a door nail. We had technicians trace the problem to CB2 which they replaced. The engine once again started and ran for about 15 minutes. CB 2 popped and instead of disconnecting power to the start solenoid it cut off power to the fuel pump and the engine ran out of fuel. We called technicians from Shearwater in Stuart. They replaced the fuel pump with no difference. They devised a work around. I run a pigtail from the start solenoid directly to the fuel pump. CB2 still pops out after about 30 seconds but the generator continues to run.

At my electrical panel the light in the start switch remains on. Not sure if that's normal. The voltage indicates low, roughly 8 volts, even though the voltage at the start solenoid is 14.3. So I'm losing voltage somewhere.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You seem to have a few tech working on your stuff.
    I have to ask, Any of them from a real Cummins/Onan shop?

I am afraid to tell you, from what I'm reading, so far, your money is just getting spent with poor results.
    As if you did not guess at this already.

8 volts,, exciter voltage?? Where is this measured.
    Also, with that relay board, low ACv will shut down the gen-set.
  3. Madr

Madr New Member

The 8 volts is the reading on the gauge on the electrical panel next to the other two gauges, oil pressure and temperature. Those two readings are normal.

Is it normal for cb2 to shut down the engine by cutting off the fuel? I thought it would cut power to the starter solenoid.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Check the wiring wherever you can access it. There is a reason for a breaker to pop. Couple of weeks ago I did an oil change on one of our Onan 45s and after starting it popped a breaker in the wiring harness. It actually used to be a fuse but we upgraded it to a CB after an issue with the fuse holder

after a few minutes of searching I heard a spark and again the breaker tripped. Turned out a wire was chaffing against a sensor shorting out

141E8A86-12F5-4D97-994E-FEFDAF207CB8.jpeg
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well, you did overheat the motor, damaging a wire is a good possibility.
    Good find for you Pascal.