Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Older Viking Rub Rail Replacement

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Marvin Storey, Mar 27, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marvin Storey

Marvin Storey New Member

I posted this in another thread but found it probably was in the incorrect place so here it is again.

I have not been on this forum for quite awhile. I has been interesting to catch up on the comments. I have a 1979 43 ft. aft cabin that is in great shape. I keep her in a covered slip when we are not cruising. That helps a lot in the exterior maintenance. She has a pair of J&T 671N's with a little over 3000 Hrs. They use about a quart of oil for every 20 Hrs. and at a 15 Kt cruise drinks about 22 gph total. Have had her for 16 years and still love her. She has taken me through some pretty rough weather without batting an eye. Viking did it right.

I have a new problem and I need help. She received some rub rail damage in January and I am trying to find a replacement piece about 13 ft. long. Viking no longer has a replacement and their original suppliers have nothing. Have checked with a number of boat yards in the Chesapeake Bay area where I am and a yacht storm recovery company in Florida with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas where I might look? Thanks
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Got a picture?
  3. sheraton

sheraton Member

Try www.integritymarinecorporation.com. They have loads of rubrail material. I am surprised Viking didn't have what you need,I was at the factory last year for rubrail for my 1986 41' they had it in stock.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

You may be able to take a small piece to a plastic extruder / manufacturer and get them to match it and run a small batch for you and then share the cost/benefit with some other 43' owners.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

If it's the original 1979 rub rail you may want to consider replacing all of it. Upgrading to a new style rub rail can add a lot of curb appeal to an older boat without being a big expense. Especially if you DIY.
  6. Marvin Storey

Marvin Storey New Member

Thanks to all for your comments. Sorry I took so long to get back on this forum. I contacted a number of suppliers trying to find either new or used rub rail that matched. No luck. Finally went back to Viking and purchased same design railing that was slightly larger. Too large to fit properly. It was vinyl, not aluminium as the original but the color was a close match. I had the marina that was doing the work cut it down to match. They had a really good woodworker with magical skills on a table saw. Resulting replacement is not noticeable unless pointed out.
    Marv
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Another happy ending, better late than never !