Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Older Kohler Generators Exhaust Recall

Discussion in 'Generators' started by Captain Dave, Jun 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Captain Dave

Captain Dave New Member

Westerly RI. Pawcatuck River, w Little Narraganse
    July 1, 2003: Kohler has voluntarily initiated a campaign to replace the black iron wet exhaust pipe assembly on specified Kohler marine generator sets. Carbon monoxide poisoning may result from failure of the black iron wet exhaust pipe used on these generator sets. They will replace the black iron assembly with a stainless steel exhaust tube. Contact an authorized Kohler dealer or call Kohler at 866-866-4933 or from outside the U.S. at 920-803-4986. Information is also available on the Kohler web site at Kohler Power: Home Page.

1950 to 1989 Marine generator sets, equipped with L600 or L654 gasoline engines under the following model numbers: 2R, 2A, 2.5R, 2.5A, 3.5R, 3.5A, 4R 4A, 5R, 5A, 6.5R, 6.5A, 7.5R & 7.5A

If you have one of these with the cast iron exhaust... get it replaced... it could save your life!
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Many, many, I mean a whole lot of these good ole gas gen-sets are still out there.
    I did not know of the recall at first (near 10 years ago). So when my old trusty Kohler gen-set cast iron dump riser had a problem, they sold me a new fancy stainless one.
    Then I found out about the recall, Kohler would not reimburse me but did deliver very well on any new claims I recommended. The new part plus 1 hour of labor (authorized shop) free. It pays to know about these things because they won't call you up and tell you.
    I remain a big Kohler fan.
  3. Captain Dave

Captain Dave New Member

Old Kohler exhaust recall

I recently boat my1985 Carver 3607.
    I had a survey done for insurance purposes.
    It wasnt picked up on the survey ( the recall that's is)
    And the broker I bought the boat from is a Kohler Dealer
    And he never picked up on it.
    After taking ownership of the vessel, a friend who has a similar boat came inboard and looked at the generator and told me about the recall. Which he had replaced a few years ago at no cost to him.
    I fact, when we took a look at the exhaust in question, it had a big rot hole in the side of it!
    I called the Kohler dealer, and mentioned I wanted to have it replaced. And I asked why didn't they pick up one it?
    He made some excuse about selling so many boats and can't check out everything( pretty lame excuse)
    So I then called the guy who did my survey ( which is a very seasoned surveyor ) he said. Well that's the first I ever heard of it!! So I sent him the information...
    I found that strange. Yes there may be a lot of these old girls out there
    Many may have already been repaired but to the ones that haven't... Get it replaced. I know everyone says... Well you should have
    CO detectors and smokes install to alarm you .
    Well they may be some old timers that don't .
    I hope this post reaches someone that needs to be replaced and it could save another life.
    The story started after several people got killed
    A whole family died in there sleep.and several more in other boats.

Hope this post reaches someone and helps them like it did me

Captain Dave
  4. jetawave

jetawave New Member

Kohler Exhaust

I also have one of these generators, 1976, runs great, I picked up the replacement exhaust p.c. and installed it myself. It was not difficult at all. Any one that still has one of these should definitely get the replacement exhaust p.c.
    Als there is a great web site that has o lot of new parts for old Kohler units that you can not get anymore.
  5. Captain Dave

Captain Dave New Member

That's great. Can you please give out the web site address for anyone needing parts?

Thank you

Captain Dave
  6. jetawave

jetawave New Member

7. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Fyi

FYI.

Many diesel powered Kohler generators, some only a couple of years old have issues with cracked and leaking cast iron and stainless steel exhaust elbows.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

And yes, Many newer models have some problems with their risers. I believe we have been talking about all those old wonderful gas genset. Some maybe our age or older.
    It is amazing that Kohler had voluntarily recalled 25 (30?) year plus old risers.
    I have observed many of the recall replacements working very well. Some of these replacements already with many years and gobs of hours. The one I purchased (did not know about a recall) is still running almost 10 years later.
    Those old magneto fired gas sets wont die.
    Near looks like a model T engine with it's flat head. Valves and seats were in the block. What a jewel.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, you'd be very hard pressed to get a Westerbeke exhaust riser go more than a 1000 hours. I've seen a dozen or more fail.