Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Furuno

Older Furuno GPS

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Wireless, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Wireless

Wireless Senior Member

I have an older Furuno GPS, GP70 model GRA-01. Last season after a prolonged period of non use, it all of the sudden stopped delivering accurate position information. It was locked on a far off position and had a fixed heading number and zeros for speed. The unit was working fine up till then but the networked Furuno radar/plotter was out of service. The radome and display have been updated but is not currently connected to the GPS. The GP70 has not been tampered with or damaged.
    The antenna and cable have been metered by the local electronics shop and test fine.

I understand that the prolonged layover as well as some short cruises with the unit powered down can be an issue for the unit, and since the antenna had been eliminated as the problem, I hoped that re-initializing the unit might help.

It looks like I may have found the problem.

When trying to re-initialize the unit I discovered that the first prompt, for the year, will not enter. I have input 2011 into the flashing cursor a number of times. The display stops flashing and changes to 2011, but when I press Enter, the date reverts back to 1996 and starts flashing again.

Customer help provided useful suggestions on testing the antenna and cable but so far three inquiries on this matter have gone unanswered. I can use some help.

As a matter of interest, and I'm not sure of forum rules so I'll not name them but the manufacturer of our other electronics has offered amazingly fast and thorough customer support for both installation and operation. I'm anxious to cross this off my list so if anyone has experience with this situation your suggestions will be appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have an old unit my Friend. The internal programing is looking at an embedded list of known good satellites and how to talk to them. Since your unit was mgf's, sats have failed and new sat are in place.
    I had this same problem with an old North Star unit.
    The clock problem re-enforces my thoughts, That extra "digit" to count the year cost an extra 1/2 Penney when your unit was designed. And, was not expected to live this long, EOL.
  3. wayfarer8088

wayfarer8088 New Member

Is there a solution?

Wireless,

I have exactly the same problem. Were you able to devise a solution, or was the Furuno GP70 consigned to the bin?
  4. wayfarer8088

wayfarer8088 New Member

5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Good catch on that lead. I missed it.
    I would think there would be a software update available like the Raytheon RN/RC3XX stuff.
    That last line "Contact your Furuno dealer and ask for a exchange price" explains it all.

,rc