Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Oh Crap!

Discussion in 'Donzi/Roscioli Yacht' started by SHAZAM, Nov 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Just a light hearted joke that if you are buying 65 foot boats without seeing them, then be wary of the guys selling waterfront land which dissappears at high tide!
    It actually happened while I was living in Indonesia. A bunch of US guys sold wealthy Indonesians land in the US which became swamp at high tide.
    Also happened in my own hometown on the Gold Coast. A lot of land was sold at Russell Island to tourists who were taken there at low tide! At high tide, only a very small part of their land was usable.
    No offense.
    I assume the deal on the Donzi was so good that it was a "no brainer" to just buy it.
  2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

None taken, if I got bent out of shape over some posts on a forum from people who don't know me then I don't belong here.

Exactly. Here is where I really did screw up, I'm having the engines torn down right now to get majored only to find out today that Detroit Diesel only has six pistons and cylinders in stock in the entire country. The parts guy at FL-DDC says that the cylinder kits for the DDEC 16v92 have been on back order for nearly a year. WHAT GIVES!?
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Yes, I have no knowledge of the business of renumbering boats that have already had HIN numbers assigned to them. I believed this to be illegal and unethical so I made a thread about it in the general section in order to find out if anyone else has any knowledge regarding the subject. What's so hard to believe about that?

Also regarding the purchase of a vessel without seeing it first, I've purchased almost all my yachts over the last 15 years without seeing them, obviously at the price point that I'm acquiring them, I have room to skip the normal procedures that a buyer may go through at the retail level. I made this particular thread in the Donzi section to see if there were any other 65's built without a master and thought it was somewhat comical that I took the yacht having a master for granted. Again, what's the big deal?
  4. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

No big deal on the master. Get a good trim carpenter & an upholsterer & you can have any layout you wish. I have completely gutted two boats & rebuilt them. No big deal! Get rid of the full size refrigerator & counter tops, have new tops installed with under mount refridge/freezer. You could easily upgrade everything & have it looking like new in no time.
  5. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I really don't care about the master, I just thought the layout was strange on this type of boat. As far as the galley goes, it's perfect the way it is. The 65' salon is big enough to pull off the full size fridge and galley without cramping the cabin, the upside is a huge galley.
  6. Ward

Ward Senior Member

I know I had a hard time believing that someone would buy a 65' boat sight unseen. I'd never do it because no matter how good a deal you got, you could easily get stuck with a hulk that would cost a bundle to dispose of.

I think that skepticism on the Internet is natural and appropriate - in an online forum, it's hard to tell the difference between someone posting about something unusual, someone exaggerating, and someone out-and-out BS'ing. There's the famous cartoon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you're_a_dog

OTOH, on another forum I'm active on, some guy posted an online suicide note and it turned out he was serious: he did kill himself later that day.
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

If I can't find 26 more cylinder kits asap, that may not be that far off!
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

DD parts have been hard to come by on the bigger engines for a while. You might have to go with aftermarket cylinder kits, which are not necessarily that great quality-wise.......Or check dealers outside of the country.
  9. Manny

Manny Senior Member

Looks like you bought the only 65' with no master because to my knowledge there is no other 65 without a master. and it's not strange that the fridge and freezer are not under counter because all 65's built after hull #8 came straight out of the RYC with a large fridge and freezer.

could you possibly share a few pics? :)
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Manny, I'm on the road and only have the photos that are in my phone so pardon the poor quality, when I get back I'll post more.

Attached Files:

11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Bunks in the bow...

Attached Files:

12. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Bunks port midship...

Attached Files:

13. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Bunks stbd midship...

Attached Files:

14. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I can't seem to find any photos of the crew quarters, there's two more bunks there, therefore a total of 8 beds and no master stateroom...
  15. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Another thing that I find interesting is that there's no staircase from the salon to the bridge, access to the enclosed bridge is via cockpit ladder only. Is this unique to this particular boat or were there others built this way?
  16. Manny

Manny Senior Member

All other 65' Donzi enclosed bridges have interior staircases. There is a 72' enclosed without the interior staircase, though.

Is this the 65' that was repossessed?
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's so you can lock the owners out of the flybridge and out of your hair!!!!!! hehehehe

It looks like the boat was built for a certain purpose, like fishing the canyons with a bunch of guys or for overnight charters in Central/south America......It doesn't have the finish in the staterooms that one would expect a yacht to have. It looks like in the 1 stateroom that you cannot get out of the top or bottom bunk if the sliding door is shut.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What's the salon like? with those SR's and no interior bridge access it must be huge.:confused:
  19. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

It is. Full size fridge in the galley and you don't even notice it in the salon. Not sure about the finish comment as the woodwork in this boat is better than most of the other donzi's of this vintage that I've seen. Everything down below is painted white for some reason, good joinery work just hidden underneath white paint.

I really don't understand where all the space went in this boat down below, it seems cramped.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You've definitely got a boat built for charter fishing. How many hours?