Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Off Topic: Dangerous Dinghy

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by YachtForums, Dec 4, 2005.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I spotted a 28' Skater along the intracoastal in Jupiter, Florida. Although my No-Fear sticker expired a few years ago, I still appreciate a good go-fast boat. Sooo... I cruised over for closer look. The name of the boat is "Attitude Adjuster" and you're about to see why...

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

With a *pair* of 300X's, the 28' Skater is capable of reaching 115 mph. But, this baby's packin' *TRIPLE* 300X's!!! My best guess is... and this is fairly educated because I owned one... it'll run in the 135mph range. But I'll never know... 'cause I'm not gettin' in it! :eek:

Attached Files:

3. YachtForums

Now any boat capable of reaching the triple digit mark is a fine boat in my book, but in this case... this triple will not only blow past the century mark... it could be a blow-over waiting to happen. Reason...

The 28' Skater was originally built for a pair of 2.5 litre outboards. The 300x's are 3.0 litre blocks and weigh another 150 lbs (each) more than the 2.5 blocks. With the addition of the third motor, there's about 1500 lbs of angry Merc's bolted to the transom of a cat originally designed for about 700 lbs of motors!

The addition of another 800 lbs (give or take) might not sound like much, but when it's hanging off the transom of a 28 air entrapment hull weighing only 2800 lbs, it can seriously tilt the scales out of your long-life favor!

Sure glad my testosterone levels have subsided with age. Otherwise, I would have never lived long enough to tell my kids how fast I was. ;)

Attached Files:

4. foundrycourt

foundrycourt New Member

Man thats some serious power - i'm with you, I wouldn't get in that for love or money - Think I'll stick to 2 or 4 wheels in this particular case
  5. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

As Carl knows, I too used to be a speed junkie. Just like Carl, I awoke one day & realized I had burned up way too many lives & came to my sences.
    Up till three yrs. ago, I used to run the offshore circut. Aside of our 90ish mph F2 Outerlimits pictured below, I have been for rides in all types of super fast boats. The fastest I have been is 147mph in a "pleasure" version of Stuart Hayim's "Recovery", a 46' Douglas Skater with twin 1600hp engines & open cockpit.
    Since then, I have had two kids & I have not stepped into a boat capable of over 50 mph.
    If I were at the controlls, I might take this triple engine boat for a ride but I assure you, I wouldn't run it over 60. This boat is a major problem waiting to happen.

Back in my day...........

Attached Files:

6. KCook

KCook Senior Member

In fact I wus thinking that is a lot of weight for a cat.

Kelly
  7. YachtForums

I think we just found a good avatar for Dave. :) Or maybe, the transom of Idall Time?
  8. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I'd like to say that I wouldn't even consider taking it out being the mature responsible adult that I am. I'd like to say that, and it's probably true since I don't know the owner. Sure would be a temptation given the chance......:)
  9. linnetwoods

linnetwoods New Member

Currently in Torrevieja, near Alicante, Spain
    Shouldn't that be Altitude Adjustment?!
  10. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

What? A cane or a wheel chair??
  11. YachtForums

Actually, I think it's a fighting chair for you these days. ;) Raised any fish with the new Bertram yet?
  12. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

No FL fishing yet but I'm flying down this Friday with the family. I hope to get out a few times.
    I have monthly trips planned so I'll touch base. Perhaps we can have a little Yacht Forums fish outing
  13. YachtForums

Sounds good, however... I've never been able to get the little worm to stay on the hook at 70 mph. ;)
  14. catmando

catmando Senior Member

He better hope Pete overbuilt that boat. He could rip the transom right off with that power.