Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Octopus back in Barbados

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Yacht News, Oct 15, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

If your camera is the Yachtforums Special Edition then that means your batteries are dead. Digital cameras seem to need a FULL battery. I replaced mine and it was fine after that... and the batteries still had plenty of juice in them for other uses, just not enough for the cam.
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yes, they are dead (for the camera) i relaced them twice and the cam keeps shutting down on them for wat reaason i do not know. The thing is i finally got the chance to take shots of Octo on thursday and then the cam went bunkers on me.and i had placed brand new AAA's in it that same day.
  3. techmati

techmati Senior Member

just to explain that, non rechargeable alkaline batteries are 1.5v when new and then the voltage drops as their charge is consumed. So by about 1/2 charge the voltage is too low for a camera to work. NimH rechargeable batteries however start at 1.2v and the voltage remains 1.2v until their charge is consumed.

still maybe there is in fact a problem with the camera
  4. Yacht News

"still maybe there is in fact a problem with the camera"

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.
  5. old.one

old.one New Member

Never seen the ROV before! I know that she has a Submarine in her wet garage aft. This ROV must be Cable-Controled, just look at the huge reel of cable (yellow) on the far side of this garage.
    Octopus has had two helicopters onboard for as long as I have seen web-shots of her. The little one looks like one of the MD NOTAR's, and the big one is just like you said, a Sikorsky S-76 (I think).
    I'll attach two pics.
    1: On helo-deck garage you can see the MD on the left, the Sikorsky on the right, and an SUV in the middle. Lower in the wet garage, is 'Man-of-War', and the yellow submarine.
    2: This shot shows the MD NOTAR on the bow pad, and the Sikorsky on the aft pad.

Old One
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  6. Yacht News

That is what i was asking, if the ROV is a new addtion or was it aboard since 2003. All this time i never knew there was something of the like on board. Octopus is so huge that there could be a number of other things that we do not know about.
  7. Yacht News

Octopus shifted berths this afternoon..she has now been relocated to the 'Cross Berth'. She freed up the Sugar Berth apparently because something called Blue Moon is berthing there tommorrow. Now When i listened to the recording blue moon was listed under the cruise ship section. To my knowledge there is no cruise ship called blue moon. I know the megayacht blue moon.....so thats only what i can conclude...we will see.
  8. Yacht News

Indeed the vessel bluemoon is a cruiseship.
    Octopus just departed Bridgetown....WNW at about 14 knots.
  9. Pink Elephant

Pink Elephant New Member

Hey Yachtluver

Has Octopus returned to Bridgetown or has she departed for other places this time ??
  10. Yacht News

Hey..Pink Elephant...she came back..lol..as usual...the is now on the break water...Break water North to be precise (BWN)...we have 3 cruise ships comming in later today...if one of the Norwegian Spirit faces the Octopus i will see if we can get a webcam shot....By the way Buddy...Welcome to Yacht Forums.....i see you have been following intently..
  11. Yacht News

Well as i anticipated...Norwegian Spirit is facing Octopus so here is a stern shot of Big O......from cruise ship Norwegian Spirit berthed at Break Water South (BWS) and Octo is at Break Water North (BWN)..
    From www.kroooz-cams.com

Attached Files:

12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Like this:

Attached Files:

13. Pink Elephant

Pink Elephant New Member

Thanks for posting

the snap from bridgecam. She is a mighty sight. Yachtluver ~ thanks for the welcome aboard. Cheers
  14. Yacht News

No problem...She is still in the same position...unfortunately when the cruiseship Arcadia departed a couple mins ago...i couln't get any shots from her....Mabe she doesn't have a webcam?

As i went to say yesterday------Octopus' stern Paraselle is huge! That must be extended about nearly 40 feet there...never seen them that long.
  15. Pink Elephant

Pink Elephant New Member

yachtluver

Arcadia has a webcam & I was looking at it but the jolly thing was not working. Here is a link http://www.pocruises.com/webcams/arcadia.aspx

I am currently watching the Sun princess webcam as she is due to dock in Barbados in 10 hours time. Unfortunately that will be 2am my time - they have just enjoyed a lovely sunset, but now they have turned the webcam to face the ship.. She doesn't leave Barbados until 6pm so I will have plenty of time to view the webcam & hopefully see Octopus LIVE . That will be exciting.
    Cheers for now
    Over & Out
  16. Yacht News

Yes indeed Pink Elephant, she is in Barbados...Sun Princess arrived here at about 8:10 Barbados time. Unfortunately, Sun Princess has berthed at 2S on the extreme opposite side of the harbour from Octopus. So no shots from her unless we wait for her departure. The only time we will get good shots if we get ships berthing on the breakwater with her and facing.
  17. Yacht News

Octopus departed Bridgetown this morning at 9 am BDS time. going WNW at about 10 - 12 knots..i could only imagine that she will be back, probably going on a little sail.
  18. Yacht News

Here is a nice shot of Octopus in Barbados arriving from one of her little cruises with the cruiseship RCI Adventure Of The Seas in the background at break water south (BWS). Octopus seemed to be manouvering to go at he Sugar Berth West (SBW) in this pic....http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=281033951&size=o

Credit to the photographers... of Gregand Lori..who took the shot...here in Barbados....From the Flickr website.
  19. Yacht News

Octopus has arrived back in the Bridgetown harbour at about 17:45 local time. Back at Break Water North just berthed on her Starboard side this time.
  20. Pink Elephant

Pink Elephant New Member

Thanks for the updates Yachtluver. Is that camera of yours working yet ??:cool: