Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for Delta

Ocean Yachts/Flexible Flyers

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Boomer, Nov 14, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Can anyone tell me the years to stay away from for a mid 40s OY? I know they had problems with the cabin tops due to flexing from being overpowered for a few years but do not recall which years. THANK YOU
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've never heard of any issues with ones in the 40' range. The only issues I heard of were 55's from the late 70's.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are you thinking of the old Mikelson Yacht?
  4. JeffH

JeffH Member

I have a 1983 46' SS. No issues that you describe.
  5. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Oh man, if you start shopping for an Ocean you will read more crap about "flexible flyers" than you'll know what to do with. My cliff notes version is that Ocean made it's name making boats lighter than some of it's Jersey neighbors. Some pre-90's boats got a reputation as being a bit "too light". I've also read issues about Oceans being blocked with too much weight on the keel and it crushing or flexing in the slings when being hauled. In the end it was impossible for me to sort fact from legend and there is even some info that this rep was ginned up by competitors although I can't remember where I read that one. Bottom line is that, if the boat is still around, I doubt it has any real problems. And, while my 2000 43' is not layed up like a hatteras, there's certainly nothing "flexible" about it.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I managed a 1987 63' Ocean for many many years. From the early 90's till 2009. It never had any structural issues BUT, we would have to put a 6x6" wooden block underneath the rubrail on the hull where the front sling would go, otherwise the hull would compress 6" or more and all of the varnish on the toe rail would crack. But there never were any fiberglass cracks or anything.

I personally have never seen any structural issues with any of the Oceans I've dealt with over the years. I've seen MANY Bertrams in various forms of coming apart built in the 2000s.
  7. Tashmoo

Tashmoo New Member

Talk with 10 'experts' on the dock and you'll get 10 different opinions. Then ask those experts what they drive. Nine out of ten of 'em are driving hulls they can afford to buy and operate. Sure, Hatteras, Bertram, Viking were better quality builds in the 80's, but they also came at a price point multiplier and an operating cost that was out of reach for most buyers. The vast majority of buyers will never experience the real world benefit of a higher quality build because they stay at the dock whenever it blows over 20 knots. The Leek family positioned Ocean Yachts to compete at a time that speed was the key competitive advantage. That meant modifying hull shape and weight to take advantage of available diesel power at the time. And they sold a LOT of boats. Personally I think it's much ado, but the flexible flyer crap will be forum fodder for years to come. There are an awful lot of 1980's Ocean yachts out there today that are providing solid performance to their owners. Educate yourself, be diligent in finding the right boat. And take heed of Capt J's comment. EVERY builder has had issues.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  8. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Thank you everyone for your comments and information.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would take Bertram out of your analogy. I've never felt like I was going to fall through the deck on the front deck, flybridge and cockpit like I have on MANY Bertrams from the 80's on any Ocean. Never been on an Ocean with soft decks.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  10. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Well, it official...bought a 1984 Ocean yachts 46 ft....thank you for all the help and information

Attached Files:

11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congratulations
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well now. A nice looker..
  13. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Congrats, you'll be happy.
  14. JeffH

JeffH Member

Well done! I'm sure you'll enjoy her.

I have a 1983 46SS Let me know if I can be of any help.
  15. C team

C team Senior Member

Congrats!

I always like the look of the older Ocean's.
  16. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

Congratulations, looks great!
  17. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Congrats. Great hull colour. I take it she has the 671’s
  18. Controlled Chaos

Controlled Chaos New Member

Congrats! I'm also a newbie bought a 2001 52SS in Miami and shipped it to CA in Oct 2017. So far it has been a pleasant experience.
  19. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Yes she has the 671's...which brings me to another question....i know specs for those motors are about 480 psi in the cylinders...mine came in around 420..a little tired...anyone know what the recommended rebuild psi is for future planning?
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

When you cant make rpm or block the sun from your smoke.

71s rule