Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Delta

Ocean Alexander HINs

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by Oceanus Est, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Oceanus Est

Oceanus Est New Member

Who can tell me about the model indication within Ocean Alexander HINs? While this may be useful across the brand, my interest is in identifying a particular vessel. It has been referred to as a 42SD and as a 440 SD.
  2. Oceanus Est

Oceanus Est New Member

More to the point, does anyone own an Ocean Alexander with HIN that doesn't start with "OAX..."?
  3. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Not sure about others but mine starts with OAX. I assumed they all would.
  4. Oceanus Est

Oceanus Est New Member

That was my assumption as well.
  5. Oceanus Est

Oceanus Est New Member

After considerable research and looking at the boat in question, I can take some of the mystery out of this story. The 1989 model year Ocean Alexander I had been considering had a HIN starting "NDN440..." vs. the expected "OAX440...". NDN is a builder that operated out of Homa, Lousiana in the 1990s (not in Nov '88 as the HIN would indicate) Boat history and insurance reports are filled with useless chaff and did not indicate salvage against "NDN440...". What I did glean from a few of those and other records is that a few OA were re-identified (probably salvage rehabs) by NDN and at least one operator in California.

Undaunted by the prospect of diminished value due to a salvage history, I set out to look at the boat. While standing on the dock and from a distance of 8 ft I could see the HIN was not quite right. Instead of the typical molded-in recessed letters, I saw a label with raised lettering (painted over to look molded in). Aging paint revealed there was a significant repair at the starboard gunwale that intruded well into the side deck.

Ultimately, what turned me away was leaking windows that had been ignored for years destroying the woodwork below. Possibly another case of PO + C2H6O = NEGLECT. (c) GMB 2017

Drink little that ye may drink long.
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

Leaking windows are included as standard equipment on most OA's ...salvaged or not.
  7. CharlesCalnan

CharlesCalnan New Member

Must have the exception to the rule: no leaks anytime/anywhere on '91 440. Slight corrosion from condensation on inside aluminum frames easily controlled by application of "Corrosion Block" annually.
  8. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

I have a 95 440 CPMY and absolutely no window issues. Not sure what condition boats the OP has been looking at but most any neglected boat could have a variety of issues.
    Certainly isn't a true statement from what I've seen!