Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

Ocean 45

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by PLAYPARROTT, Aug 24, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PLAYPARROTT

PLAYPARROTT New Member

High everone. I am in the market for a sportfishing boat in the 45' range. I have looked at the Ocean 45 SS 97' model. I have also looked at a 88' Buddy Davis 47'. I currently own a 28' Pursuit 2870 offshore. so this will be my first boat if this size. Can anyone give me suggestion or recommendations??

Thanks
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Playparrot,
    Those are both nice boats. If I had a choice I would go woth the BD as I like the flared bow for those nasty seas. But a 1988 BD probably would have been repowered by now, i sthat true onthe one you're looking at? The 1997 Ocean may be looking for a repoer in the somewhat near future, if not done alreay, and that should be considerd when you make the purchase.
    BTW, I know of a 1997 43' Tiara express for sale if interested.
    Capt Tom
  3. PLAYPARROTT

PLAYPARROTT New Member

Thanks for the reply Cpttom!!!

Then BD has had one of the engines overhauled with 900 hrs on it. The other has 2000 hrs on it. The Ocean has had both overhauld with 400 hrs on it. Yes, I agree that the BD has nice flares and it is a beautiful classic looking boat. The boat that we are looking for will be a used as a fishing & family cruise too. The Ocean seems to be have more creature comforts to it. Any experience with the ride on either boats???
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Even though both yachts are geared for fishing, the BD probably a little more so than the Ocean. Ocean does have nice amenities and they do appeal to the ladies of the family. I've been on several Oceans but in calm seas usually, so can't really speak for their seakeeping abilities or handling in a following sea. But there are many out there in snotty conditions so I'm sure they're fine. I've come to realize that many times it's not only the characteristics of a boat that determine if it's worthy in rough water, it's the amount of beating those on the vessel can handle. People will tell you a boat handled like crap since they were bounced around or a guest got sick. Others will say it was fine and they come of it like it was no big deal. If you're going to cruise with family, learn to see how much they can tolerate. Two to three foot seas to one person is no problem while others are white knuckled.
    Capt Tom
  5. PLAYPARROTT

PLAYPARROTT New Member

Thanks for your comments Capt.tom. The BD is such great looking vessel. A real head turner. I have been told that it is BD may be a bit under powered from the factory. I have seen a coulpe out there for sale that have had the power plants upgraded. Any comments on this?
  6. basilnet

basilnet New Member

ocean owner

playparrot, I know you mentioned the 45, but, here's some first hand ocean 48 owner info for you. You already know you get the most boat and interior space utilization out there for the money. As to what you dont get..a show piece engine room all faired out and fancy..fit finish and gelcoat not as nice as viking, hatt., bert., and not nearly the cost. As to seakeeping, their hulls work quite nicely most conditons you should have your family out in. I have logged 10,000 miles with mine over the last three years and like the hull.
    They are fairly fuel efficient. I have docked with a 47 b/d with 8v92's with stated fuel comsumption about 1/3 higher than my 48 with 6v92s.
    I also started looking at the 45 and decided it was too small for my family. Many other buyer's likely had the same conclusion as the 48 was their best performing and most popular hull ever.
    Like you, i also came out of a center console boat 3 yrs ago to the 48. When you decide which boat suits you needs and budget you will need to find one that has been maintained and updated. You cannot overestimate how much you will spend if the boat needs update/repairs. The best money you spend will be for the nicest one you can find.
    I hope this helps, chuck basil
  7. PLAYPARROTT

PLAYPARROTT New Member

Thanks Chuck for you resonse!

I am restricted to size due to the slip that I have purchased, it is a 45' slip. I think i am leaning towards the Ocean. I like the layout, it very family friendly.

Wes