Click for Northern Lights Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Burger

OA 40-48 mechanical access

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by hawgwash, Oct 28, 2015.

1. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

In pouring over the specs of OA 40 through 48 the engines include:

CAT
    3116 NA & TA
    3126TA
    3208 NA & TA

Cummins 6BTA
    DD 8.2
    Perkins

I would like feedback on just how cramped your ER is and the ease of access to the engines in a twin setup through the various models. By access, I mean difficulty to get at and perform all the routine maintenance required over time.

Batteries, exchangers, transmissions, injectors, pumps, hoses, oil and filter changes, shafts and bearings etc. etc. etc....

In terms of an inflexible, old guy, are there things you just find easier to farm out?

Thanks.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know about access, but I'd much prefer either the 3126's or 6bta's over any of the other choices.
  3. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

Thanks Capt J.
    The 3208 seems to be the most common in those boats yet I keep reading how difficult they can be to work on. What do you like about the 3126?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

3208s are not difficult to work on. But their cooling systems are borderline, so if the heat exchangers aren't cleaned on schedule they don't have a lot of excess cooling capacity. Also they run fairly clean but at idle always smoke a bit and smell a bit. 3208's are also a higher revving motor (for diesel) and they don't have a lot of low end torque for docking, so a lot of times you have to give them throttle as well. Some people may like this.

3126's have a lot of low end torque, run clean, are durable, and parts are cheap (wear items). 6BTA's are also good motors and durable.

DD 8.2's are junk. steer clear. Perkins usually leak oil, parts are hard to come by, but aren't bad motors but I wouldn't want them in this day and age. 3116's are ok.
  5. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

Yes, I've not heard anything negative about the 6BTA. Is there an equivalent Cummins NA?
  6. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

I realized the dumbness of that last question after I posted it.
    Of course...6B.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

There's a 115hp naturally asperated marine 6B out there. Not too many I think. But they're out there.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The cummins are good engines up until 330hp. The 6bt's are good. Once they're pushed to 370hp it starts shortening their life a bit.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I agree with above.
    I'm wondering if a Cummins 6C, 8.3 option is available?
    May be an over kill but it's competition would be the 3126.

I'm a fan of the 6B, but there is that horse power to life ratio.
    The 3208 can make lots of power also at reduced life.

Are you a fast or slow cruiser?
  10. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

I've done a lifetime of fast.
    8- 10 knots is fine with me with the reserve to kick it up to 12 or so if needed. West coast, ya know...

I like the feedback from all of you but am still wondering about access for maintenance in the OA ER especially the Classico (aft cabin).
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You'll have to go look at a few. I would think the 3208's would take up the most space. Cummins would probably we smallest width-wise and the 3116's and 3216's not too far behind it.
  12. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

A good suggestion but with a 3208 I WA and a 6BTA in FL, well, you get the idea.

That's why I was hoping for some owner input.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Where in FL is the 6bta boat? I might be able to stop by it and take a quick look if it's nearby. Or one of the other members could.
  14. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

What a thoughtful offer, thank you.

You'd need to pack a big lunch and a pair of pajamas, it's half a world away from you, in Pensacola. I just wouldn't feel right unless it was right in someone's path. Taking a look just to see how much room there is in the ER, for a guy on the west coast, might be enough to give a broker heartburn.

http://www.**************/boats/200...5205/Pensacola-/FL/United-States#.VjJOrtGFOJ0

Oh, wait a minute, here's one in Lauderdale.
    http://www.**************/boats/200...Fort-Lauderdale/FL/United-States#.VjJVkNGFOJ0
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  15. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

g collis will be in PC next week and may be available to help there. Tap (PM) on him.
    Daytona not to far for me if needed.
    Skippy J can checkout that Liquordale rig if needed.

We all would luv to help. A direct PM to each to settle details would be better than on the open forum.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Now THAT is a first. I've never imagined anyone would have enough balls to land and take off a helicopter from a 45' boat!!!! I could look at the one in Lauderdale for you next week if you'd like.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We don't need no stinking chopper;
    Rocket Crapper.JPG
  19. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

[QUOTE="Capt J]Now THAT is a first. I've never imagined anyone would have enough balls to land and take off a helicopter from a 45' boat!!!! I could look at the one in Lauderdale for you next week if you'd like.[/QUOTE]
    Lol, isn't that crazy?
    With respect to looking at it, well, only if you are walking right by it, ok? If that thing is jammed up in there with a 6BTA then a 3208 would be nuts. Access to the outsides against the hull is what concerns me.

See my next post...
  20. hawgwash

hawgwash New Member

Guys, guys, guys...

I have to say "I can't" twice here.
    I can't thank you enough for the generous offers to go snooping for me.
    I can't in good conscience let you do it.

I am at such an early stage in the shopping process, I don't want anyone, you or brokers, going out of their way on my behalf at this point.

Maybe when I get boat specific, and there is something in your neighbourhood, I can call on you but in the meantime I'll just hope someone pops up and gives some hands on feedback.