Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

NQEA "Rena" / ex "Curt-C"

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by K1W1, Sep 13, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

That's a nice photo Tom. Notice how tight the starboard anchor chain is- the current is STRONG at this show.
  2. Ken Bracewell

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

That should make it very exciting when you have to pull out. Curious, do they start breaking down the show tonight, forcing you to leave right away or do they wait until tomorrow, focusing tonight on getting the streets cleared?
  5. MaxResolution

MaxResolution Senior Member

CC website

It becomes very difficult to offer suggestions for 'improving' a website such as this. We've garnered a healthy appreciation from the average viewer for three simple reasons:

1.) She's a magnificient, to-the-point, highly functional, and very personable boat. BTW, I love the bridge layout, especially the visor-mounted array.
    2.) No illusions, what you see is what you get. And this is what I mean about 'traditional' design. -You only need a few of those classic table lamps, and the all too familiar complimentary colored pillows to anchor us to memories of home. The mahagony and lighter colors throughout sure fit the grand scheme.
    3.) Yes, the roll-overs really help animate our impression of actually being aboard, ...and 'ditto' the comment about Christy's cusine!

I think you have done well enough with the material you currently have. But I also have strong feelings about this kind of photography, more applicably displayed in print. Overall, your photographer only nails it about 82%. What he/she is missing falls characteristically at the hands of their editor, but there's more. 'Mary E. Nichols,' (my persona-d'nemisis,) is the grand Master of this sort of 'location.' Her 'trick' is blatently simple, and it can be easily copied by shooters like the one you chose: --Only 'HMI' lighting works in daylight-flooded space.-- To prove it, just look for her work in A.D. Nearly every significant US west-coast home looks better with her technique, and hardly 5% of all photographers seem to know why.

But, in housing we also crop and edit laboriously. You swap between wide spreads (Ie; top-banners proportioned @ 1"x10") and tight vertical vignettes. And your photographer is all to quick to deliver appreciable repeatability; ie: minimum distortion and smoothness. Of course, once you turn these 'ideas' over to a self-conceited webmaster, you'll come back with something alltogether different,and quite possibly 'inappropriate' for your needs.

Benetti, et. al., love to floor us with the tight moving graphics. (They freeze my older Flash viewer, so I look for the -'skip intro'- button, ASAP!) But, you get what I mean about shifting from the divergent perspectives of both the fish and the seagull. As a guest,I am compelled to offer you three complimentary photos in appreciation for the delightful time aboard:

1.) Christy is pouring a fine Bernaise sauce atop a lobster tail, a-la- 'Steak Oscar.' - (90mm @ ƒ1.8- short focus with hungry-eyed guests way out of focus behind.)

2.) Two rolls to pick from: *LONG TELE-shots* from the midst of some bamboo/straw cabanna about 80' back on the beach. Carnival Cruise style, loving couple, or babe sleeping in hammoch, optional. :)

3.) 'Lifestyle': (Tight verticals, hard back/side morning light. Same short-focus lens as above, ƒ5.6) : Atheletic 'mom' is teaching young kids how to bait their hooks. After all, our onboard adventure IS to become a lifetime memory in the eyes of some future Captain, and/or (lick my lips...) some fine Continental Chef!
  6. Ken Bracewell

We pulled out this morning. No great drama even though the wind is STILL blowing 15-20.
  7. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Kenny sent pics to crop of Curt-C, but he's somewhere between an island and the mainland with questionable wireless service, so I'm posting these on his behalf. Attached are photos of Curt-C at the Devil's Backbone...

Attached Files:

8. Ken Bracewell

Time To Shine

We are now at Rybovich in West Palm Beach preparing for a paint job. They are currently buildind scaffolding and a tent so I popped up on one of the lifts to get a shot before she disappears.

Maybe we can get Mr. Bach to redirect the webcam every once in a while... ;)

Attached Files:

9. YachtForum

Ken,

In between building a skeleton and skin around Curt-C, you might wanna pump up the inflatable and blast down to the 2007 Boca Bash. It's a raft-up, float-around, party-down regatta in Lake Boca. If you can navigate at the speed of Opti's bolted to a surfboard, I'll splash... (it's this weekend)

Attached Files:

10. Ken Bracewell

When is is Carl?
    I'm headed north to visit the folks this weekend. If it's next weekend though... I may be able to get the Protector out of hock by then.
  11. YachtForum

It's this weekend. Sorry you'll be parent-sitting. :p
  12. YachtForum

I was just sorting through some pictures taken aboard the Calixas 105 and came across something that might look vaguely familiar to Ken. I found it somewhat amusing that the M-140 was berthed at the fuel dock. :D

Attached Files:

13. Ken Bracewell

Thanks Carl. That photo must have been taken right after the Palm Beach Boat Show while I was skiing in Vail. It's a nice reassurance to see that Brendan wasn't out joy riding while I was gone! :p
  14. Ken Bracewell

Change on the horizon

By this time next week, we will be cruising with the new owners aboard the 145' NQEA "RENA".
    They are nice folks and have asked the entire crew to stay aboard.
  15. Ken Bracewell

It's Official

The new owners are aboard and we are headed to their home in CT. Keep an eye out for "Rena" and look out Noank, here we come!
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Ken

are you at hurricane hole? We left atlantis this morning for Normans

I thouhgt the name Rena rang a bell when I saw her her...
  17. Ken Bracewell

End Of An Era

Today is my last day aboard the RENA. I'll be taking a new post on M/Y EVVIVA in Alaska on August 1.

It's been a great 9 years (and 1 month), and I am happy to hand her over to Captain Harry Molenaar.
  18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Well done mate, that was a good stint.

Have fun with the new boat.
  19. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well done, Ken. Count me among the large group who wish you well in your new command. The new crew will join those who benefited from working with you.

I hope you get to spend some time in "southeast" before the days become too short and the nights too cool. The Northern Lights and a spectacular change of scenery await you.
  20. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Harry

I don't think I have met you Ken but I know Harry well, good luck on your new yacht and I am sure Harry will continue what you have been doing.