Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Westport

Not a good day...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by sagharborskip, Oct 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. luckylg

luckylg New Member

See that the FB page is more secure now so her photos aren't visible. I managed to save the ones that were there yesterday. Not sure of posting rules so if anyone wants them let me know via PM.

As for the towboat, IMO the only way that could work is if it was sitting and idling for some time and not watching the impact of its thrust. There was no mention of wake in the original post and a passing wake (absent other factors) would be unlikely to bury a vessel of this size.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

This link pulls the pictures up.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...=15102895&id=568840706&fbid=10150271096055707
  3. q240z

q240z New Member

Why? To quote from The World According to Garp, "We'll take the boat. Honey, the chances of this boat sinking again are astronomical. It's been pre-disastered. We're going to be safe here." :D
  4. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

I'm not sure that (the unsinkable) Molly Brown would agree with you! :D
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah, but that was with a house and an airplane; not a boat and the river bottom. Besides it would be met by another familiar quote "Have you lost your freakin' mind? I'm calling my lawyer. Then you can do whatever you want with whatever happens to be left of your half after we're through with you.":eek: Or my wife's own words when I considered buying a major rehab "You can buy the boat. I'll be long gone, but you can buy the boat" (which is a gentler way of restating it).:D
  6. q240z

q240z New Member

Some women just have no sense for adventure. Pre-disastered is pre-disastered...that's just fundamental. lol
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Couple of thoughts:

While Rolle is quite aways up the New River, that soup is still pretty salty.

Greg is a very smart guy and maybe he quickly did a superb pickle-job on the machinery suffering from excessive humidity.

The really interesting part will be the marketing/disclosure aspect for a sale:

"Pre-Disastered!" [great line, q240z!]
    Proven seaworthy--inside AND out!
    Like a flu shot for humans, this vessel has been innocculated against any further contact with saltwater!
    Cleanest engine room around!

The saddest part? There will be buyers who care not a whit about previous moisture content; I have witnessed this firsthand.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

it's all the electrical and electronics that are going to be costly. if you dunk an old DD and flush it quickly, it will be like new... not so with those electronic diesels. and gthe generators, chargers, pumps, chillers, etc... which probably all took a bath. yuck.
  9. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Any reason why you can not post your photo's here?

Did you ever see the photo's of that popular sport fish down at the bottom?
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The reason is that the copyright (to publish) belongs to the photographer.
  11. luckylg

luckylg New Member

Exactly. I collect salvage type photos both from my own work and that of others I've found. These are now in my collection but I don't think it's acceptable to post them here based on forum rules.
  12. Capt Bill11

13. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Thanks Capt Bill.
  14. Capt Bill11

You're welcome.
  15. luckylg

luckylg New Member

Just wondering if FLIBS attendees got any additional information about this incident. I did find out that the boat was on the bottom (shallow). I've tried to make sense of what happened but all of the plausible explainations fall short. Would love to put a cause to the result.
  16. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

From what I was told by people who said they where there on scene was that they (who ever they are) were pulling the larger vessel backwards with tugs and the laz acted as a scoop and filled it up with water causing the accident.
  17. luckylg

luckylg New Member

Thanks for the additional info. I did find out that it was Cape May Towing that did the dirty work.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I find it hard to believe as the lazarette door, and swim platform is typically a foot above the waterline on Azimuts......But if true, then.

Yes, but typically a Captain is required to be on board when being towed by tow boats. The boat should've also had a mate. The lazarette door should've been closed during this. BUT, the Captain on board should have noticed something was happening, as should the Tow boat Captain that was on the stern.
  19. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Sinking

O.K. I am confused...on my Yacht the Lazarette door is actually a hatch in the floor of the aft cockpit, the "door" is the exit to the swimgrid.

so, is it that the door to the swimgrid was open and the hatch was lifted to the open position ? would mean the hatch was probably hinged in the wrong direction ??
  20. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

A couple of years ago, another Azimut 105 nearly sank in Porto Cervo (Italy) for a similar reason. Apparently the captain was changing his anchorage spot in the bay of Pevero and backed up with its stern garage platform open at water level. Needles to say, the lazzarette filled up quickly with sea water, flowing then into the engine room and had the boat sink sitting on the bottom with its transom on a 6-7m of depth.

This was also made worst by the waves of other boats passing by (the area is high-traffinc in August with powerboats of all size) and hitting the stern of the AZ105.

Any similarities with the one in FTL?