Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Part 1: Northern Marine 90' Yacht Capsizes Upon Launch...!

Discussion in 'Northern Marine Yacht' started by olderboater, May 19, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The 90 that was just to be launched, apparently capsized and sank and the Coast Guard is looking to salvage it now.

$10M yacht capsizes while being put into water in Anacortes | www.kirotv.com

Coast Guard Crews are trying to salvage a capsized 90-foot yacht worth at least $10 million.
    The Coast Guard rescued six people from the yacht about 9 p.m. Sunday at the Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes.
    One of the passengers, who had to be rescued from the bilge at the bottom of the boat, was taken to the hospital. The other five people were not injured.
    The boat’s builder, Wes, said the vessel went over just as the crew put it in the water to deliver it to its owner.
    “The boat tilted to one side, and though not unusual, the amount of tilt was a little abnormal, so we paused to collect ourselves and assure that everything was going be right, and as we continued to lower it down, it pitched and that’s when it went over,” said Wes.
    No fuel leaked from the yacht. The Coast Guard has divers getting the fuel out of the boat and hope to have it lifted out of water by Monday night.
    The builder of the boat will have to cover salvage costs.
    The person who was buying the boat said they are heartbroken.
  2. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Judy Waldman was in Anacortes for TrawlerFest last week and sent me these pics of the new Northern Marine...

Attached Files:

4. YachtForums

The thread was removed by request of the OP.
  5. olderboater

Wes said:
    Ummm. Abnormal tilt? Maybe that is a sign of a problem? Continue anyway. Wonder if they crossed their fingers first.

This may be a lingering nightmare for all involved. Builder, Buyer, Insurer assuming Builder has insurance for it. Salvage. I would imagine the buyer has paid nearly all the cost by now. And the impact on business.
  6. olderboater

Are those five windows right at the waterline? If so, aren't they exceptionally low? I mean at the expected waterline. Obviously the current waterline is different.
  7. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

I see. Glad I haven't gone insane yet.

If you look at the rendering, they seem to be not much above the water line.
  8. olderboater

Not just the rendering. Judy's photos too. They just seem to be in a very odd location to me. I'm looking at their other models and also the waterlines when underway.
  9. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

I believe that the Captain involved in the project was, or is a member here. I hope he will weigh in. His blog is easily found and discusses "blood baron", but it hasn't had any updates for some time.
  10. Bagatelle

Bagatelle Senior Member

Captain's Blog has been updated.
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

12. olderboater

Odds that he'll end up testifying in court before this is over?

There is one thing far worse than not getting a report. That is ignoring the one you get.
  13. olderboater

Why is it that experienced people take one look here and question stability and somehow the designers and builders don't. And light. So they recommend ballast be put in before moving and launching. I've seen this routine before and all the ballast in the world never made the boat right.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Wow, I understand that emotions may be running a little bit high but - What a way to crucify yourself
    oh but wait he is still involved
    Makes one wonder what triggered the removal of this guy from the project.

Was it his attention to detail or the complete lack of it.

Would anyone here be able to explain exactly what qualification this is
    taken from the blog authors website
  15. YachtForums

With permission from Captain Aaron Pufal, here is a picture of Blood Baron at rest. More coming from another source soon...

Attached Files:

16. olderboater

Were his wonderful never tried before inventive design ideas perhaps why? It just looks like a mistake from the outset. Let's see. Make boat taller, lighter. Sure, it will be fine. I wonder if there was a naval architect involved? Regardless of how it got there though, once a problem was reported, someone sure needed to address it. There will likely be winners in all this. They are called lawyers.

I had a cousin build about a 26 foot boat and he and two more cousins and a couple of uncles decided to take it out. I just looked and said it's going to fall over and I was only about 10. Sure enough, they ease out of the bay close to the inlet and over it goes.

Builders destroy themselves by trying to go new places, do things they've never done before. The practice of just deciding we'll lengthen this a few feet, oh and add a level, make the bridge larger, lighten it up a bit, change this and that, just leads to trouble. That's not change, that's a new boat and needs to be re-engineered from the start.

Obviously we don't know all the facts on this boat. All we know is it's on it's side half sunk. And one man came dangerously close it appears to serious injury or loss of life, but is in hospital and hopefully doing fine.
  17. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

If one designs a boat, yacht or ship, there need to be some calculations involved. Designing a boat is more than just sharpening a box on the front end, putting a engine in it and a prop and rudder on the rear end.

Positive stability, righting moment, weight and ballance and calculated waterline and many other things like this are points to be concidered. You can have a boxy tall yacht or a very high boat with a lot of weight and lever arm aloft (sail boats), as long as their is some counterweight introduced, called ballast.

But added ballast with the trial and error technique after building a boat may ruin the waterline and eventually may get hull windows close or below the waterline. Some Italian yards building fast planning plastic boats are well known for this method. Giving optimum waterline look priority over positive stability may end up with the above results, capsize upon launch. One should think about getting a new job. For example opening a bakery, he could at least eat his mistakes.
  18. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Within a 10% accuracy level on this projects weight study from calculated (paper) to actual (measured) is nothing to be proud of in the Naval Architecture world :(
  19. YachtForums

Some more pics just arrived...

Attached Files:

20. olderboater

No, the way I read that my translation was: "Well it's barely close enough and it would probably meet requirements now but it sure needs ballast before you do anything with it and then it will need more and you'll have to get it's stability rechecked and lets just all hope it turns out ok. If it doesn't we'll just keep tossing more ballast in. Had it been mine and I had seen a document that read like that in process, I would have definitely called some people together. But then wonder if that did happen and all the blame at the time was put on one person, who was then fired.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.