Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Nordhavn Yachts Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by diesel one, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run a Northern Marine, and they build a nice boat.

Nobody here has anything against Nordhaven, the biggest negative publicity I've seen against Nordhaven on this site in the last 6 years was regarding the recent thread of the 76' YF that sunk and it's lack of adequate automatic bilge pumping capacity. There have been lots of good posts on Nordhavens also.

The forum and people that frequent the forum are generally a very knowledgable and group of individuals. It's freedom of speech and everyone can contribute what they'd like. There have been other lawsuits listed on here for other manufacturers.......
  2. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

I personally liked the Nordhavn and so did my friend. The Northern Marine just has better interior and exterior deck space for a family cruiser. Lawsuits are 99% of the time looking to make money and seldom have merit these days.
  3. Why there is so much to say about Nordhavn? It is already said they did a lot of marketing but they also sell a big number of boats.....High trees catch a lot of wind I think.

It might be known I'm involved in Selene Trawlers when you look at my avatar but I will not post here nor will I promote our brand as indeed this site is to share information of all kind to become all of us wiser in our field.

As I live in China as well, from my balcony I can see the Nordhavn yard even, so easy to know some people from inside there. They are our biggest competitor but I know very well how they work on their quality standards.

And I also dare to say I know a few brands who are not even close to what these people are doing regarding that. And the brands I mean do have much bigger sales or name.

Nordhavn is a top brand in what they are building but personal I do not like their looks. Is that important? Nope I think as they sell a big number of vessels. Not because they build some shait.
    And everywhere something can go wrong. And when clients start to unreasonable asking pay-backs it is time that a judge will look over it.
    Don't forget that lots of cases appear due to dealers and NOT in responsibility of builders.

But again, this site is to share information and when there is a lawsuit...it is information.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ambulance Chaser

This smacks of another California ambulance chaser chumming the waters on YF again.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Why not? This isn't Motor Yacht Forums is it?

Would you care to share that list with others here?
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Nordhaven

Lawsuits also can have a serious downside, I was told the following by someone who actually worked for the owner of a Stephens MY which he had personally custom built, after delivery he had his "chemist" take a sample of the fairing lay up, (Yacht was aluminum), and discovered that the layup was not 100% Awlgrip instructions, he proposed to the yard either re do the entire boat or pay up, I was told the Yard paid up and closed down. Have never been able to verify if that was true reason the the Yard closing, but, knowing the owners reputation would not surprise me.
  7. denizci

denizci New Member

List of Circumnavigators Under Power

K1W1 has requested if I share the list of circumnavigators that I am aware. The link below should take to the list. Recently another Nordhavn, Egret a Nordhavn 46, has become the most recent circumnavigator which is not reflected on the list.

Regarding if this is only a motor yacht forum, of course it's not. But:
    1- our subject is Nordhavn, which is a motor yact (and a motor sailor) brand
    2- most of the coverage of this forum is indeed on motor yachts, isn't it?

Here is the link:
    http://www.trawlersandtrawlering.com/circumnavigators/circumnavigators.html

Now, if you know more motor yachts than the list mentions that completed circumnavigation, would you please share with us?

Thanks.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That sounds like a case of 'be careful what you wish for, you might get it'. So he got some $ in his pocket for a less than perfect paint job. Now where does he go if he has a real problem? Suing a defunct or bankrupt business doesn't get you far. The strategy in martial arts is to allow your opponent to be the aggressor, give way and let him put himself off balance when he doesn't meet resistance and then close the deal. It works in business as well.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There is only 5 different Nordhavns on that list one is mentioned twice

There are 6 Vessels shown as being Custom and a conversion that might well have started life as a production boat.

Off the top of my head here are a few Motor Yachts and two with sails that have made it around the world.

MY Chamar, MY Sea Sedan, MY Charade, SY Eos, MY Mi Gaea, MY Itasca, MY Belle France, MY Maridome, MY Triple Seven, MY Antartica and SY Anakena, the last two travelled together.

There are bound to be others but that short list shows 4 from the same yard and a 5th from the same stable, so having 5 from Nordhavn is nothing to set the world alight is it?
  10. denizci

denizci New Member

Hi,

The one mentioned twice on the list is on its third circumnavigation by the way. To be able to compare apples to apples, what other production trawler manufacturer out there with so many blue water miles?

I am not trying to diminish other manufacturers quality, capability etc, not at all. All I am trying to point out is there are so many Nordhavns out there cruising all around the world, crossing oceans etc. There must be a reason for that. Do you think the reason is PAE's successful marketing? I certainly doubt it.

Cheers,
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

Boats don't circumnavigate. Captains do.
    Bruce Didier likes this.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The Kanaloa is mentioned twice and it says it is the Owners third lap but the second one under power in the 46, the previous one must have been under sail.

The Chartwell a Choey Lee is underway on it's 3rd lap now if info given on the list is accurate.
  13. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Actually, in terms of Nordhavns that list is out of date and two other boats can be added to the list. Scott and Mary Flanders in Egret, a N46, recently completed their circumnavigation on February 10. Also PAE just released a statement that hull 16 of the N62 line, originally named Rover and then renamed Patty M, finished the journey by way of two different owners.

http://www.nordhavn.com/news/headlines/eighth_circumnavigator/

About N46 Kanaloa owned by Germans Heidi and Wolfgang Hass -- they completed one circumnavigation in a sailboat before they bought their Nordhavn, have completed two in Kanaloa and haved started a third under power (or fourth overall).
  14. denizci

denizci New Member

That's correct. And to be able to do that, one needs the right ingredients such as the boat, skills, and most impotant, desire.
  15. RicF

RicF New Member

Priced too high is a subjective observation ... Maybe Nordhavn's aren't priced too high, maybe it's that those that denigrate them just can't afford one ...?
  16. They come a long way from a small yard.
    I am very impressed by their success, but personally not by the style. but that is my own opinion.
    They still selling very well. I am glad for them.
    It will be nice to see these yards like the Selene and Nordhavn coming back to built in the US inset of using the US just as a customer reservoir so to speak.
    It will give a lot of good work, and the made in USA is still a premium in the world.
  17. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

The N40 was originally built by Pacific Seacraft in Fullerton, California, but the molds were later moved to the South Coast yard in China where redesigns to pilothouse windows were incorporated and the series was rechristened the N40 Mark II. The move also allowed for a lower base price while still adding interior improvements.
  18. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Nordhaven

Priced too high is a subjective observation ... Maybe Nordhavn's aren't priced too high, maybe it's that those that denigrate them just can't afford one ..

So, if you don't like a high priced vehicle that means you could not afford it ??

As MR Spock so eloquently put it..".not logical Captain" that assumes you deserve to title.
  19. lobo

lobo Senior Member

Any evidence at hand for these assumption?

The well educated and informed US customer has long preferred to take his business to Asia, Europe or South Africa and buy his (larger) yacht from abroad – for a good reason, I would assume.
  20. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Nordhaven

So, logical speaking...only poor uneducated North Americans buy North American made Yachts...