Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Nordhavn aground at Ocean Reef...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, May 9, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not at high tide… may 8th tides were about 3’ at ocean reef
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

almost 3 feet.
    45959E11-4F52-4DDA-B61E-A37613F5A41B.jpeg
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Look at that stain on the piles. I understand the hull is listing showing more waterline, But IMO, that was still driven up that bank.
    The bow bulb is out of the water like Diamond Head..

I'm sure there is a row of green markers, been so long I don't remember, Did the driver do the Liquordale inlet maneuver and turn stb to early?
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yep… matching greens all the way. No way to cut the corner.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well, IMO,, he tried..
  6. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Would be an as she is dual engined.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, Dual John Deer.
    Also big rudders. Loose an engine at idle speed and a lil rudder adjustment keeps her straight. Not driven onto a bank.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You have a relatively narrow deep cut with very shallow on both sides. If the Captain was running too fast (which would indicate it by how far on the sandbar it got) and it sucked bottom, it could've veered sharply to the side before the Captain realized what was going on.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You have to be brain dead to run this channel at anything above idle with a big boat…
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My only time in there is ancient history. I assume it is a dead slow area.
    I can not make out that sign; Resume safe speed, slow speed or no swimming in the channel.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sorry,
    I'm making fun of the brain dead guy and got to rub it in.
    Spend the bux on a new N80 and push the bow that far out of the water? Wheeww

Now the real scary part, their offspring...
    Yes, in this country, they let (encourage) the brain dead to breed.
  12. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I don’t think I saw (or understood if it was said) an answer: is she gone? Curious of the aftermath.
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I've beached a boat, cauliflowered props and cruised outside a channel. Guess that makes me brain dead too. :rolleyes:
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I'd be also curious to just understand what the boat name is.
    From the OP photo, she looks line N80-01, but even in the following better image taken from this Nordhavn webpage, it gives the impression that they did their very best to make it hard to read... o_O
    [​IMG]
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Nope, it's being a boater per se that is enough to make you brain dead - as the rest of us, mind! :D
  16. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Add, Murphy's Law, it happened at hight tide...
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am the king of rose budding propellers. And yes, I messed up because I was brain dead.
    We pick up, dust off, CPR our checkbook and move on.

Every time I ran aground it was from something stupid,, Duh..
    If I was smarter rite at that moment, I would not of run aground..

Here in the swamps, news of your grounding is on the docks before you return your self.
    A good grounding offers years of jokes, ribbing and basses for even more humiliation.

That great bulb bow up in the air like that, Near Priceless.

If we were any smarter, we would not own these holes in the water (sand and reef) to pour cash into.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

[​IMG]
    A 24 meter Nordhavn super yacht titled m/y Jess Jonn ran aground in Ocean Reef on the Florida Keys to the Southern part of Miami on May eight. The causes of the grounding are not confirmed, though in some forums and people knowledgeable of the area are suggesting then when tide is on the low side of things it is suggested you stay on your port side pushing to the red markers in that channel. Another unconfirmed rumour is that the owner was operating the yacht at the time of the accident. Thankfully the grounding seems to have made little or no damage to M/y Jess Conn as she was reported back underway on the 14th May heading North.
    M/y Jess Conn is hull one of the Nordhavn 80 which launched in 2021. A design of Vripack the Nordhavn 80 was presented as a project in 2017 as a model to fill the gap between the N76 and N86 models, with a three double cabins six berth guest accommodation and two or four crew berths layout, and is powered by twin Deere 375hp. Nordhavn has so far sold five N80 units.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I keep trying to fix the picture
    I'm not sure about that Jess Jonn name.
    name.jpg
    I think mapism has the correct boat.
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Now that we are all admitting to running perfectly good boats up on rocks and reefs:
    Summer 2018 we needed to get away for a week or two so we booked dockage at Islamorada's Lorelei Cabana Bar and Marina navigating down the ICW in good visibility, crystal clear daylight weather, with an up to date chart Garmin chart plotter, a sober captain and an alert Admiral.
    The route was pre planned and laid out as well as briefed, at a certain marker we turn to Port and take up a new heading to the next waypoint.
    We did exactly that and in the slow turn the boat jumped and shook to tell is we hit the bottom..:eek:
    Unfortunately I turned on the wrong side of the marker, South of it rather than North.
    Fortunately the Albin 28TE has a skeg with a bronze or steel bar extending aft to protect the prop and rudder.
    (Brilliant Design, thx Albin.:D)

So, count me in as brain dead as well, but I can get away with it, no damage after a senior moment, life is good and the margaritas at Lorelei tasted good that evening.