Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Norcold refrigerator

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by 1000 islands, Aug 20, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Does anybody know what fridge is a good replacement for a Norcold model de 828?

Mine is running constantly which does 2 things...kills the batteries and does not get very cold.

I've tried to find a repair service around here but no luck.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Here is a copy of my same question almost 2 years ago;

Good Morning,

The replacement would be a DE0061.

Thanks,

Dustin
    Consumer Service
    Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc

Norcold DE828 replacement

I had to trim the hole just slightly for width. The base was a but deeper but no problem for us.
    Worked like a champ. New unit uses the DanFoss DCv compressor.
  3. Sea Ya

Sea Ya New Member

Have you thawed it out lately? Mine was doing the same and found it was iced up around the thermostat and the entire cooling plate. Shut it down, thawed it with a heat gun and works great now. Usually have to do this about once a season.
  4. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

If your vessel has an inverter installed that can carry the starting current of a refrigrator then my suggestion would be to buy a house or apartment refergrator of the appropriate size. I replaced my Norcold, bar size, with a normal house bar size refrig years ago and have been very happy. The non marine house type refrigrators are much cheaper, more efficient and can make ice on the battery.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The old 828 used two compressors (DCv?) mounted on the back. An inverter/power supply under the front. Two fuses and a breaker.
    Except for the fuses, there are no more parts available.
    SleaRay (& Brunswick) used the heck out of these units. In their day were great.
    If your having problems or thinking about replacing it before the beer gets warm, start shopping now. One compressor could still be running keeping the unit cool.
    You are going to be hard pressed to find a household unit, to fit the same hole, with an ice maker.

Capt Fred mentions the same as I have preached for years; Inverters are great.
    Good luck and keep us filled in on what ya do.
  6. Pau Hana

Pau Hana New Member

Yes- we just replaced our DE-828 with a Vitrifrigo DP-2600. It's a direct fit, quiet, and has larger capacity that the Norcold.
  7. crashgtr

crashgtr New Member

Where did you buy it?
  8. Pau Hana

Pau Hana New Member

We purchased it from our local rep, Sure Marine, here in Seattle. I installed it last night, and the comparison is night and day. The old Norcold would eat 9-11 amps, while the new fridge hums along at about 2 amps. It's also whisper silent.
  9. Thisisit

Thisisit Member

Try calling Northland Supply in Keswick, Ontario. He's the distributer for pretty much all of southern and central Ontario. He'd be able to suggest a replacement. Phone Number Removed! Please consider that phishing programs search the Web for numbers to call at all hours. See our posting rules for details. Thanks for using Yacht Forums."
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  10. ronspdx

ronspdx New Member

Thanks, Pau, I have an '87 34' Tolly with the DE828, when you say a "direct fit" no problem with any dimension, height, width or depth? I'll have to order and pay freight to Portland and want to be spot on. Thanks for your reply!
  11. Mjstern70

Mjstern70 New Member

How did it work out for you?