Click for YF Listing Service Click to Save Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Cross

No GPS Fix on my SIMRAD EV2

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by TGUN, Dec 8, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TGUN

TGUN Member

Does anyone have an idea why I keep getting a NO GPS FIX Alert on my EV2 Simrad 24" screen. It was working just fine . Then it was off for couple of months and after trying everything I can find on the subject still no success. Any thoughts would much appreciated.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So that's the ESO box that would use a remote GPS antenna.
    From that antenna, what is blocking the whole sky would be my first question?
    Next, what work on the boat since it last worked?
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Is it doing this even when boat is moving? When I turn on my Simrad units I sometimes get "No GPS Fix" at the dock. Once I start moving it usually locks on within a minute or two.
  4. TGUN

TGUN Member

Well first TU for the reply. I have checked all the obvious things. The thing I did was dock it. No major repairs since that. One trip working next turn on no gps fix. It’s not seeing any satellites
  5. TGUN

TGUN Member

I have not moved to see but it may be something like that. I will be bringing to the boat yard this coming week and we will see. It has sat a few months since the last trip. Everything checks out other than no GPS Fix. TU for your input
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Have you checked the antenna cable for chaffing? Years ago I had intermittent issues with a garmin as the cable had been damaged where it went thru fiberglass
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You are looking at the page that shows this? Zero sats or a few and not in the green yet.

There are tables, clock signals, updates and corrections sent from the sats to receivers consonantly.
    These have to be loaded before the receiver can do anything. It may take several minutes for these updates to load and be installed.
    If you have been powered off a while, your receiver may be in need of some of this.

Can you power it up and leave it on a hour or so?

From post #2; Is the whole or a large part of the sky available to the receiver?
    It may take more than 1 sat to update your receiver with these updates.
    Then it takes a few to begin to figure your location.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  8. TGUN

TGUN Member

Yes I have look at the satellite viewing page. Nothing there. It does have a clear view of the sky. I will check the gaveling again where it goes through the bulkhead.
    I have had it on for at least hour several times. No change. It has been suggested I move the boat . Maybe it will heal itself when moving. Really frustrating. TU for your input Capt Ralph
  9. TGUN

TGUN Member

Hi Pascal. Yes I am rechecking for chafing again to get that off the list TU for your input
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Another thought, Do you have an AIS transceiver? It it receiving GPS signals?
  11. Bayhouse

Bayhouse New Member

How old is the GPS receiver? Some brands have batteries that fail with age.
  12. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I have had an issue a handful of times requiring the GPS antenna to be restarted, requiring either a power cycle from a breaker or visiting the cable connecting it to the backbone and disconnecting. Does your GPS antenna have an indicator light on it showing function?
  13. TGUN

TGUN Member

Great ideas.. TU. The AIS is putting out my position. So the Simrad still has the no gps fix problem. I see no lights on what I think is the GPS Antenna. I have cleaned and made secure all the connections I can find. The suggestion about the Backbone connection to the NEMA2000. I will look into that next
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Check the network settings in the Simard to make sure it is configured to accept the GPS antenna data.
    rtrafford likes this.
  15. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

If the vessel's sole source of GPS data is the same GPS antenna that your Simrad is requiring, then you don't have a GPS data problem to the backbone given the AIS is obtaining and sharing a GPS signal. Just be certain the AIS doesn't have its own GPS?? Or see if you GPS is also showing up on your VHF or pilot controls? Then as mentioned, you're back to the Simrad, connectivity, and set up recognition of the GPS, to allow it to accept the GPS data signal from the backbone. You should have a setup page where this network data is visible on the Simrad...?
  16. TGUN

TGUN Member

Yes there is a two gps antennas. One for AIS and the other I assume goes to the Simrad. I think I will swap hook ups and see if the problem goes away on the Simrad and no AIS if that works. I’ll be on the boat tomorrow and check that. I’ll report the results then.
  17. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Yes, good plan. The problem may be as simple as a dead GPS. Ive replaced mine as well once...it happens. Best test for Simrad is if the GPS can connect directly to Simrad and eliminate other variables for this test.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If it is all Simrad, Your AIS antenna is passive and goes to the AIS box. The other GPS is active and goes to the N2K back bone.
    In AIS setup, you can tell the AIS what to send to the N2K backbone. It is usually set to minimum info and AIS data only.
    Also, I recall a setup in NSS that tells the equipment what GPS to use. You may want to double check in your NSO.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Any progress?
  20. TGUN

TGUN Member

Well NO Progress. I am moving the boat to the ship yard for a bottom job and some paintwork(minor) tomorrow. I am going to see if the GPS finds its legs when I move it. Its about twenty miles. If it doesn't work It will be time to call in the BIG GUNS. Not sure who that is but I am going to get someone to fix it. Does anyone know of a Electronics' guy in the FT Myer's , Florida area? It will be hauled at Owl Creek in Alva Flora(Ft Myers)