Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by JMartel, Feb 16, 2008.

1. JMartel

JMartel New Member

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

I am currently a sophomore at Virginia Tech studying both Ocean Engineering (Their term for naval architecture), and Aerospace Engineering. Haven't really done any drawings or designs yet, however. I am in the process of teaching myself AutoCAD and Rhino.

Unlike some of you on these forums, I cannot say that I've owned a yacht, but my family does have an '83 SeaRay 360.

-Jeff
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello Jeff, Welcome to Yacht Forums. Its great to have you aboard!
  3. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Welcome Jeff. I envy you your youth in this computerised age, and also your dual diciplines. Aerospace Engineering and Naval Architecture are closely related and can only get more so...we are not too far away from CFD programmes and FEA programmes being as common a tool to yacht designers as yacht curves and planimeters were once. 3-D modelling will be a pre-requisite in this industry soon enough. To be conversant in any of these to any extent before starting your trade is an exciting advantage indeed.
  4. JMartel

JMartel New Member

Thanks for the welcome folks. Like I said, I'm only in the very beginning stages of learning rhino autocad and now freehand, and I have to go to the school's computer lab to do it, which is a little out of the way sometimes, but I'm working on it. Also, I am looking forward to any and all advice that you professionals can give.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Welcome here, it is nice to get more design discussions going.

On Freehand, the problem today is that it is bought by Adobe, who is trying to cancel it in favour of Illustrator. Silly move since they should make much more money by maintaining a program with so many users.

Perhaps they will upgrade Illustrator with some Freehand features and they already made it easier to open and work with Freehand files in Illy, but Illustrator is not very good for most of us using Freehand. It lacks many features and easy handled tools, why most Freehand users will stick to their programs for as long as they are possible to use on new computers and OS.

Just so you are aware of that Adobe may stop selling Freehand any day...:(

But I have several versions and have used it as my universal program since 20 years now, so I will of course stick to it forever...:)
  6. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

If Rhino is your current weapon of choice, and you are of a mind to learn faster than lessons dictate...
    A full blown copy of Rhino4 is very affordable to students, who enjoy very large discounts as long as the programme is not used for commercial gain.
    A 3-D motion controller, such as http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php (if you dont know, its a multi-axis joystick for use in the opposite hand to your mouse) is a good investment too, and once you've tried it, I guarantee you will love it...and again, prices are good for students.
  7. JMartel

JMartel New Member

Freehand looks like quite an awesome program at this point, and all I've done is just mess around with some lines for like 10 minutes. As far as buying Rhino, I do not plan on it since the school has it in the computer lab, and I actually wont be getting a job for about 7 years after I graduate due to requirements with the US Navy
  8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Yachts are all about style. Don't forget to work in the occasional fine arts class. Drawing nude females was a hoot!

Kelly