Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn

Newbie buying a Bertram!

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Aethomps81, Jul 7, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Aethomps81

Aethomps81 New Member

Hello! I'm about to close on a Bertram '38 and can hardly contain my excitement! She's from 1987, only has 1800 hours on her twin Caterpillars, and is gorgeous.

I'm planning on doing a liveaboard sitaution, (yes, on the Bertram, I'm single and don't own much stuff). Everything I read about Bertrams seems to be positive. I hope that my experiences are the same.

I've been lurking on here for a while and felt that you should be the first ones to know about the deal!

on a side note, anybody have experience with Espar diesel fired heaters? I am thinking that will be a necessity in the cold Maine winters!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Liveaboard in Maine, ah to be young and tough.:eek: You've got a hunk of solid quality in that Bertram. Congratulations. We had a guy in a marina I used to work at who installed one of those heating systems in a 50' Sea Ray Dancer. It wasn't cheap and (although I don't know the details) he had to have it upgraded when the cold hit, but after that he seemed satisfied.
  3. Aethomps81

Aethomps81 New Member

Hahaha, thanks for the reply. Lets hope I'm as tough as I think, or at least a little tougher than the winter here!
    I have talked with a few other liveaboards in the area, and their advice was clear shrinkwrap for the winter to get some solar heat and shed the snow, and possibly the cabin heater although the consensus was that some go with electric heat.

I guess the thought would be to get a cabin heater that will will be sufficient enough not to need to be upgraded. I should get one that "goes to eleven..."
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think you'd have to be insane to want to live on a boat in the winter in Maine. I have no experience with diesel heaters on a boat, but it does take a lot of heating capacity to keep a boat warm compared to a house. You also have to worry about keeping the engine room and bilges from freezing temps also. Don't forget that the wind is cold walking to and from the boat and the docks will be very slippery.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The big fun comes with trying to keep a source of fresh water unfrozen and trying to get your date to sleep over.:D Ah to be young and stup...I mean tough, again;) I'd have done it if I thought of it. Hopefully, we're not talking with a 50 year old here.:eek: If we are, Boy is your body going to hate you.;)
  6. Aethomps81

Aethomps81 New Member

well.....I'm a New Englander since birth, so I'm familiar with the winters. I'm 28 and probably a little crazy yes. I've spoken with liveaboards here and they've said that because the water temp in the harbor never really gets to the freezing point that the water tanks/bilges/ etc don't freeze. They stated that the water temp never really drops below 35 degrees F. That being said, I plan to use the reverse cycle AC to keep the boat at something like 45 degrees inside (which I've been told should be doable), and crank the heater when I'm there. We'll see.....I'm not going into it with the idea that it won't be 'interesting!'
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

At 28 I'd have done it too although my marriage would have ended in its 2nd year.:D My cous. from Liberty came to LI and went swiming in October (I don't do it in August). Guess it's what you get used to . Have a great adventure.
  8. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Where will you base the Bert 38. I have a 28 Bertram at Northport Maine. Living aboard the boat sounds like great fun for a young man. Should be plenty challenging too.

How is the purchase coming along?
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Might want to check the situation on dehumidifier or two. The cold is not a problem that can't be dealt with fairly easily but a damp bunk is no joy to climb in to.
  10. Aethomps81

Aethomps81 New Member

The purchase is coming along ok. I'm having trouble getting an engine survey done, but mostly because of some unfortunate events with the surveyor. hopefully I can get him up there next week, and close on the thing by the end of next week!

I'll keep you all posted!

Bayside, where do you keep your boat? I'm going to be in Portland. Probably at South Point Marina.
  11. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

My Bertram 28 is based at Northport ME (Bayside) close to Belfast on the Penobscot Bay. I'll be bringing the boat to Yarmouth ME in November for some off season work. It's been great fun this summer and I'm already dreaming about having a larger Bertram someday!