Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Newb in need of help choosing new boat

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by baziado, Aug 3, 2011.

1. baziado

baziado New Member

Currently own a 2006 sundancer 280. Want to move up to a convertible flybridge boat in the 38-42 range. Need something that I can fish with from time to time but also cruise comfortably with the family. I dock my boat near Atlantic City and would love to be able to travel on some trips south and north but once in a while go out looking for fish as well( maybe a canyon run for tuna). I have 3 kids (13,11, and 8 months) so I need to have 3 beds of some sort for them and 1 for the wife and I.

Hoping someone can steer me towards a boat that will satisfy both of my needs. I would consider anything from a few years old to new but frankly would love to get a "deal" and not break the bank. I should also mention the wife loves boating but also loves to be in the sun so there needs to be a spot for her to be able to catch the rays!

Thanks in advance
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello baziado, Welcome to YachtForums. What is your proposed budget for your new boat purchase? There are certainly plenty of nice buys out there right now.
  3. baziado

baziado New Member

Thanks for the response. For budget I would say up to 700k
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

40' Cabo Flybridge would meet all of your needs including range.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good boat, but I disagree. The Cabo is a serious fisher, ready to make the canyon in almost anything. The OP sounds like he's talking coastal fishing with an occassional canyon run. The biggest drawback to any SF type boat as a family cruiser is the ladder to the bridge. Who's carrying the 8 month old up or lunch for 2 kids, a baby and dad & mom? I'd be looking more towards a sedan bridge, sport cruiser or cockpit MY for their usage. If Sea Ray has satisfied you to this point I might look to them as you'll find many available. At 700K you could easily make it to 50' and nearly new. That has 2 nice staterooms plus one kids SR with 2 bunks, laundry and a nice bridge. SR is not my first choice for quality, but not bad for the average boater.
  6. baziado

baziado New Member

I do like the 40 Cabo. Problem is I think it seems like a pure fish boat with little "comfort" but I have not been on one to see for sure. Also, I have from time to time talked to marinemax (who I purchased the SeaRay from) and the prices for the Cabo seem high and not that negotiable. As for SeaRay I do not think I would buy another. While I do think it was a good starter boat and marinemax has been great to deal with for service I do not love the overall quality of the boat. If marinemax would "deal" on a cabo maybe I would consider it.
    On the discussion of of the two types of boats I am still leaning towards finding a sport fish more like Cabo but with comfort as well vs a SeaRay type of sedan. For some reason I just feel more safe in those types of boats offshore. Being in the Atlantic City area the Seas as never flat and I want to be able to run to maryland or cape cod in a sturdy and safe boat. As for fishing, I want to do a lot more of it but I am a real beginner so only time will tell. I also like that the more traditional sport fish boats carry a lot of fuel so I would be able to plan better and not have to hit inlets in the area that are harder to navigate. On the downside I realize they have ladders vs stairs but I can get over that.....would be nice if the sportfish had a seat in the cockpit so my wife coud get sun and also a pad out front if she felt like lying out in calmer weather.
  7. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

The main drawback to boats in the 38-40' range is lack of space in the engine room. By the time you put in a pair of engines, a/c equipment and a generator the space is packed. If you move the generator to the lazarette it turns into a pile of rust in 3-5 years. If you step up to something in the 45' range it makes maintenance much easier. You won't get a standup engine room but at least you have some room to service the equipment. It looks like you could get a 6-7 year old 45' Viking in the price range that your looking.http://www.**************/boats/2004/Viking-Convertible-2141518/Panama-City/FL/United-States This would make a nice boat. I don't have any personal experience with MAN engines but, I'm sure that there are some people here that are.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

MarineMax hires "salesmen's salesmen" if you know what I mean. Deals can be gotten, but you have to be good.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Sea Ray's don't have the range to make is canyon trip, so they're out of the question in my book. The Cabo's are a very plush boat and with a lot of family ammenities in the inside and the flybridge, it's just the cockpit is set up for fishing. The problem is, you either have searay type FB boats that lack range, heavy seakeeping ability, and a fishing platform. Or you have Sportfish that have the fishing down at the expense of the plushness, but not much in between. Searay actually does a pretty good job at the in-between........

How about a Maritimo, they're very family oriented, and still have a cockpit to fish from? It is a really nicely laid out boat, I am not sure on the quality, but think they're built better than a Searay type and not quite a Cabo, Viking etc..... I ran a 56' enclosed bridge once and it had a VERY nice layout.

Another option is a Tiara.
  10. baziado

baziado New Member

The maritimo is cool but i think a bit bigger then i want.... really nice layout though. I do like Tiara. I know the quality of Tiara is high end. What do you think about the 39 convertible? is it comparable to the cabo?

EDIT ADD What about the Bertram 410...seems like a good combo of fish and comfort
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't like the 41 Bertram, not thrilled with the 50 either. Don't like the ride of the newer. 5'-8' in the ocean sent us home in an '02 50. Mid 1980s :) Tiaras nice boats, by spartan. Your 1st post notes: "once in a while go out looking for fish as well( maybe a canyon run for tuna)", but most of your post is about comfortable family cruising, travel, the kids and the wife. It now sounds like you may be leaning more towards the fishing in your mind. Make sure of what the family's priorities are before heading off in a wrong direction. I had one client who insisted on a SF with outriggers even though the boat never saw the ocean and never fished seriously. Meanwhile he almost had to hog tie his kids to get them to come aboard, and then they just hung out in the cabin playing video games. They mostly entertained which meant everything coming up to the bridge by rope and basket.
  12. 84far

84far Senior Member

The Maritimo will be a well built boat, same with the Riviera (Alot of the new Riv's have lost a lot of weight as well). Australian building standards are high, they have to comply with pretty strick standards downunder... but it's the fit out and design that makes me cringe, more so the Maritimo... Hopefully there will be a change in the market soon.

If it was my money I would look at the Viking range, they have nice lines and entry, Bertram seem to be loosing there performance to comfort. Cheers

Far
  13. ThePuf

ThePuf New Member

Interesting thread. Your requirements are very close to mine, in that you are looking for a <45ft sport fisher with a bias towards cruising. Speaking primarily new boats, this is the list that I have been studying (no particular order):

a) Viking 42C: Superb build, decent layout (3 stateroom possible), nice looking, good ladder and fly space but it is rather expensive and it seems performance from zeus is not impressive. Front hatch window better for cruising. If this had shafts, would be first choice.

b) Riviera 43: Brill design and layout for cruising - probably the best of this group. Decent enough build quality. Expensive due to strength of aussie$ at the moment. Problem for me is IPS drives which do not work well in my waters (not sure why) with little local support. Full front window. Would be worth my consideration with shafts.

c) Bertram 410: Good heritage, but the jury is still out whether the quality remains as before. Nice engine room layout and new front windscreen is great. Flybridge a bit tight and low-sided for families. Possibly too spartan for cruising. Good basic specs.

d) Tiara 3900: Very cruiser friendly with options such as flip up seat in the transom and cruising ladders etc. Rather stylish interior, small window at front and good fly size. Quality probably on par with Riviera.et al Poor seller for Tiara though. Only question remains the hull which was re-designed after first launch.....some say it is excellent as a result, some say that it is deeply flawed. I have not ridden on one, so cannot opine. Decent basic specs.

e) Cabo 40 Flybridge: Fairly fishing focussed layout and design, although the facelifted interior is a huge improvement. Tight engine room and fly. Nice lines with the bow flare, and overall quality is beyond question. Expensive. Seems to perform much better than the Viking 42 with the same 600hp Zeus (hearsay only).

f) Ocean 42SS - The dark horse of the bunch IMO. Mixed history of quality, although if reports are to believed, they are now making excellent hulls with with higher than expected quality. If correct, then compare with an Audi 10+ years ago....not so common but the smart money saw the value and quality early on before the make became really popular. Pricing and layouts both appealing. Worth a look? certainly.

g) The Others: e.g. Meridian 391, 441: Sea Ray 450: Maritimo: All these not really my preference as they are too cruiser focussed (and I don't like enclosed bridges), but each have some fantastic layout and space.

So, those are the few that I've been mulling over for a while. I'm still no closer to a decision, although I was very very close to signing for the Tiara or the Bertram, before waiting for the Viking to be launched. Given the uncertainty in various global economies, the delay was probably a blessing in disguise!

Hope this helps some.

Cheers
    Puf
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Baziato, with that million dollar parts inventory and all that expertise in your back yard have you considered Viking SFs or SCs (Princess)? Very good boats and good people. It occured to me when I read Maritimo and Riviera. Think about where any parts you might need are coming from and how short our summers are. Next door or half way around the world and a different lanuage, Sorry those down under, but here a Barbie is a doll made by Matel.:rolleyes: :D Seriously, do you want to wait a week, 2 or 3 for a repair and then another if the wrong part comes in or drive down the block in the morning, and maybe back down in the afternoon if you got the wrong part.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have only run a 39' Tiara in the intracoastal, so I cannot comment on it's seakeeping abilities. However the owner I was running it for bought it 6 months prior and 50 hours earlier (new) and was selling it to get something else. The layout is nice. However, in the Intracoastal at slow speed, a small center console went by on plane and a 14" passing boat wake splashed water on the windshield.

I have confirmed reports that the viking IPS boat takes a long time to get on plane, and they've been working on trying to get it to run better. It also comes with smaller motors than the 40' Cabo last I heard.

I know the 40' Cabo Zues express has very impressive performance.With 600 hp zues it is faster than the 800 mans. It will cruise at 32 knots versus 31.5 knots, and it burns only 45 gph, versus 60 gph. It is VERY smooth at cruise with no vibration and the engine room on the express has a lot of room and I would think the FB has a lot of room also, because it does come with the bigger mans as well. The flybridge should be almost as quick, maybe a knot less. It also has one heck of a good range also. Manueverability is great.

I'm not very familiar of the others......
  16. ThePuf

ThePuf New Member

From what I see listed, it's the 440, 480 or 600hp. For e.g. the PMY test of the Open mentions 600hp on the test boat, but there was also some discussion online about this accuracy (can't recall the details).

Aside from the long time to plane, I have also heard that the engines will "lose load" in heavy seas. Again, this is through a friend, so you're better off trying the vessel for yourself.

Puf
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I guess they just started putting the 600 hp engines in the Viking, because before it was only the 440's and 480's and speed was not impressive......One of the engineers from viking was on a 40' Cabo zues boat at the miami show, timing how long it took to plane =)
  18. baziado

baziado New Member

Puf

I have almost the same exact take on the boats you listed. The Riv has a great layout and mix of cruise and fish but the lack of support and the fact parts may have to come from far away is a real problem that I think out weighs all the good. I love Viking in general but at 1.2M new I just don't see how it makes sense. I am still curious about the Tiara. need to learn more about how it handles in the open water as that is of extreme importance. On the tiara I like the transom fold up seat. while a small add it helps convince the wife that it is a good cruising boat also :) In the end keep coming back to cabo but cant seem to get a good deal on them. The good about Cabo is that it is also sold by marinemax who i like and would also probably give me the best deal on my sundancer trade... now if only they would "deal" on the price. I am going to try and hit the boat shows coming up including Annapolis and see these boats in person.
  19. ThePuf

ThePuf New Member

Baziado,

Likewise, I also keep coming back to Cabo, at the end of the day. Am opening discussions with them on the 40 and the 43, although I am leaning towards the 40. After a few seriously bone-jarring thwacks on my boat while heading offshore on Sat (causing some bits and bobs to fall off the boat!!), I really want to move to something really solid and well-built.

Good luck with your search.

Puf
  20. baziado

baziado New Member

let me know how you make out. I am going to talk to them as well. seems there are a leftovers and lightly used 40's around. with this season ending in the northeast and these boats about to sit again for another year, it might be the time to deal.